Let's hope it is just a runaway boat

Phil Allen

Probably. The search was suspended, but authorities are asking for assistance finding the owner of the boat (presumably, just to be sure). Here's an article with a picture. It's an inflatable boat, so we may not be the best resource, but anyone from the area should probably take a look.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10/21/search-underway-for-owner-of-kayak-found-adrift-off-nahant/

While most recent attempts to legislate kayaking behavior have been ill designed and unhelpful there is one law I'd like to see established for the community: Any kayak on the water needs to have an identification sticker attached: owner name, address of owner and telephone contact. Composite boats could be supplied with waterproof stickers attached to the inside of the cockpit and plastic or even inflatable boats could sport a laminated sticker to attach to the front or rear toggle. This simple remedy could avoid millions of dollars being wasted for rescue searches that are unnecessary.

Last year at the Essex River Race the CG was giving out "Paddle Smart stickers" and had the race organizers explain the importance and usage. If somebody near the coast could get a stack of stickers from the CG or a harbormaster we could give them out at the New to Sea Kayaking workshop and other functions. The stickers are convenient because they are durable and stick well, and are easy to see.

Dog tags work well, too.

I used a sharpie to write my contact info on the sticky side of some clear packing tape....then stuck another piece of tape to that ( sticky side to sticky side). Then a couple more strips to tape it to the bulkhead behind my seat. It's been there for at least 5 years and still perfectly legible.

The paddle smart stickers are a good idea. However, what ever plastic they use doesn't hold ink very well in my experience. I have to 'erase" and right my info in about once a season. And that's using a sharpie.

best

Phil

I used an indelible pen on a paddlesmart sticker after having the wash away experience. I like Sal's idea but for me, I would have tape everywhere except where I want it!

Yes, it's easy for resourceful people to make labels one way or the other. But if we gave away pre-made stickers it might help new people perceive the labeling process as being an important established custom, or help push procrastinators over the threshold of actually doing it. I used a garden marker, which is light fast. No sign of fading after 1 season, at least. I'm imagining a bag with a pile of stickers and a garden marker to take to club functions.

Covering the label with clear packing tape would probably help if there's an issue with the writing rubbing off.

In my first fiberglass boat, I got the bright idea to glass in my business card inside the boat, behind the seat on the bulkhead. It stayed forever until the person I sold it to had it removed.

Easy to do and the next time I have (my husband has) fiberglass out for a repair, I will do it again.