kayak camping advice: universally accepted tips

PeterB

I'm trying to think of universally accepted tips for kayak camping: advise that could apply to everyone while kayak camping.

We all know that there a a lot of ways to do things; what tent or speeping bag to use, how to pack your boat, what to bring and where to put it in your boat, food and camp kitchen, etc. but in thinking of an introducton to a kayak camping workshop and advise or tips that one could be confident would apply to everyone ("this is just they way to do things") what would be on your list?

I'm sure there are many, but for me, these three quickly came to mind;

1. wear synthetic fiber clothes. Not cotton.
  2. Separate the tent poles from your tent. The tent poles can be stored up in near the skeg box and the tent then can be compressed and stored by itself, taking up less room
  3. Be especially careful & methodical managing your boat and gear when packing/ launching and unpacking/ landing : most kayak injuries occur on land, not at sea.

I know there are others. What would you include?

When you're packing at home, put all of the filled dry bags that will go in the rear hatch in one (Ikea) bag; put all the stuff that will go in the foward hatch in another. (And a third for the day hatch... - or squeeze it into the bag of rear hatch stuff.) Makes it MUCH easier to load up at launch site - the job is halfway done.

And in line with separating tent poles from tent, put sleeping bag in a soft-sided dry bag and don't close it until you've squashed it into the hatch. A lot of people have trouble fitting a sleeping bag in compression sack into their hatch. Easier if you let the soft bag take whatever shape it needs to get through, then close up the dry bag once it's all inside.

pru

ps - a lot of this stuff is what Warren and I tried to cover in our New to Kayak Camping trips this year. He has written an entire manifesto on poop management, another thing that is absolutely required when camping on Maine islands...

1. Though a pricey investment, purchase multiple blue IKEA tote bags. When packing from home, load bags by hatch compartment, and an extra bag for outside gear.. When packing/unpacking kayak, bag will be stowed last for easy access. With just a few practice trips you will become an expert.

2. If you are relatively new to kayak camping, anticipate that it will likely take longer to prepare to launch than more experienced paddlers. Start packing your boat/breaking down your tent 2 hours before BIB time. Prepare breakfast last, if time allows, otherwise graze while helping others break camp. Strive to be the first camper ready to launch.

3. LNT: Leave your campsite pristine. If you've had a fire below high tide line (youve called for a permit and inked permit# on kayak deck), disassemble "ring" and scatter residue for tide to carry away.

4. Carry a wag bag always. Nature calls at inopportune times.

5. Share with participants well beforehand (through E network) details of trip, including what communal gear you will pack (things like tarps, saw, stoves, first aid, safety, and repair come to mind). Sort out redundant gear at launch with fellow paddlers. Water seems to be the culprit most trips.

6. Baby wipes or similar ilk and a small microfiber towel for toilet.

7. Low-cut "mucking" shoes, though heavy, are insulated and waterproof-very comfy around (usually) damp conditions.

8. Sew a standard-sized cotton pillow case in half. Insert clothing, zip, and there's your pillow.

9. Food: Unless youre lucky to have Suz or Janice/Catherine team with you, Trader Joes Indian fare (Pru) or some such, and Pacific organic soup in a box (tomato/roasted red pepper in a box worked well last trip, sopped with artisan bread) is the bees knees.

Front hatch: clothes and camp (extra room for perishable food [read Amatos X2]or buddys excess)

Day hatch: First aid, repair, safety, gps, dry top, head warmer, paddling gloves, wag bag, TP, gadgety things, day bag, cell phone/car keys/batteries in dry lock container, Dove chocolate squares/other snacks

Rear hatch: Sven saw, tent poles, poop box, cookware/stove, food, campshoes, etc.

Here are some universal rules-of-thumb that I can think of:

- No metal in the front hatch (instead of guessing what will and won't affect the compass, just avoid all metal).
- Always use drybags for whatever shouldn't get wet - even the best hatch covers can leak because of human error.
- Distribute the weight, especially water.
- Avoid packing gear on the decks. If it won't fit into the hatches, reconsider your choices and quantity of stuff.

- Don't pack temperature sensitive foods (like chocolate) directly under hatch covers.

- Never carry a loaded boat with less than four people. Empty the boat at the landing if possible.

pack using small dry bags with long strings attached so that you can stuff the dry bag way up at the ends but keep the string near the hatch for retrieval.

keep perishable foods below the waterline (at least if you're north of here)

for really puffy gear (sleeping bags, some clothing), consider a stuff sack with waterproof venting

Thanks for the camping tips -- those Ikea bags are the best for camping -- cheap and they do last for some time.

My primo advice is when your campsite is all set and you are going out for a paddle make sure your tent is fully zipped. Even if the weather is unseasonably warm, even if it is a glorious day, even if the weather forecast calls for clear skies and there is not a cloud in sight-- zip that sucker up. Otherwise, you just might have the misfortune of encountering a downpour that was not forecast. You then arrive back at your campsite with a soggy wet mess of tent floor, clothes, sleeping bag, and anything else that can and will get wet.

This I know.

The good old abc's work well for teaching packing: accessibility, balance, compression; can add on as needed, like F. I'm really careful with my white gas bottles, don't want a leak that will spoil food, and m for metal near the compass.

More small items are always easier to pack than larger bulky items. Tie lines onto things that get stuffed in the bow or stern, take out a few larger items closer to the hatch, pull on the line and the small items slide right where they're easy to grab. I once had a croc caught in the bow of a boat for three days, the pump t-handle makes a great device for retrieving such items. Always know what your tide is doing, and try and figure out the high tide line as soon as you get to camp. Layers work best around camp, keep a dry layer handy for when you land and are damp from paddling. Put it on next to your skin and put damp clothes back on over it, as you work setting up camp you slowly dry out your clothes. A puffy jacket also helps with this. Always have a hat handy.

load heavy stuff ( water, etc ) low in the boat and towards the middle( not in the ends) and light stuff ( down jackets , etc) higher and towards the ends.

the finer points of boat trim or what you put where can be discussed at length but this is a general rule of thumb

Get a good tarp and keep the tarp or your tent accessible so that you don't have to unpack all your gear in the rain to get to your shelter.

Make sure your boat will be balanced (trimmed) when all those water jugs are empty.

Mark your first aid kit, you know it's in an orange dry bag but nobody else does.

Sometimes larger gear can save space, i.e: a larger cook set that can fit your stove inside it.

Bring an extra dry bag for your tent fly so you can pack it wet (if you have to) and not get everything else wet.

Edited by Michael_Crouse

Always use your list; even if all your stuff is in the corner of a room, always use your list, check once when packing and again when loading into vehicle, always use your list...

Bring mesh bags...you can put drinking water and whatever else is in a water tight container into the mesh, tie it off with yer tow line securely and toss it in the ocean. The sea water is cool enough to be a nice little fridge.

Make sure to "lock" the fridge after use and that it isn't too rough.

That has worked nicely and clients think yer kewl and crafty.

It can be very helpful to practice packing everything in your boat before you get to the put-in, to make sure everything can fit through hatches and figure out ahead of time where gear fits best and what you need to edit or rearrange.

Do not put anything in your cockpit or down by foot-pegs that could float and move and hinder a wet exit if needed.

Instead of those bulky noisy Ikea bags, I use a mesh bag at the top of each hatch. Empty the contents of the hatch into the mesh bag and then you can carry 3 bags worth of stuff to the tent.

The mesh bags take up no room in the hatch, unlike the Ikea bags. Plus if someone forgets their head net for the bugs in Newfoundland, they can borrow my mesh bag for substitute headnet. Can't do that with a Ikea bag!

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/173 I buy the bigger size as they don't take up any room. They are small and sturdy and are easily washed when home.

I like kayak camping which involves breaking camp each day in an effort to explore more islands. This approach encourages me to be organized with packing and unpacking my kayak. I tried many different methods and the one which works for me involves having three different color mesh duffle bags, one for each hatch.

You should try different methods and select one which is easy, efficient and fun for you.

Although I suspect there are better methods, and I may change my approach in the future, currently it works fine for me and I like the fun factor I derive from the process.

Warren

Tie the kayak securely at night so it can't float away when the tide comes higher than expected.

Have one breakfast that can be eaten on-the-go w/o cooking, in case of insane buggy location or the need to beat wind/bad weather.

Mark chart with declination lines before starting trip. No need to add/subtract magnetic north from true north on the fly.

And a contrarian suggestion which I ONLY use for expeditions: use a deck bag. Items to have immediately at hand: wool hat (in a ziplock bag), paddling gloves, ibuprofen, sunglasses, sunblock, foghorn, flashlight, quick-energy food, throw rope, multi-tool. I keep my backup GPS in there too (usually just use compass). I have never had this backfire on me or be a problem, even in surf landings. And I've been very glad to have quick access to these items, without popping a hatch cover.

Kate (who is embarrassed to admit that she found out the hard way about keeping the tent zipped up while gone)

Ikea v mesh

I use both!

1 Ikea bag holds what will go on me (pfd, skirt, paddling clothes, hat...)

Another Ikea bag holds the boat's things (pump, sponge, compass, chart...)

3 mesh bags hold gear for each hatch.

And I use mesh laundry bags from the dollar store.