Odiorne to Wallis Sands via rocks Saturday July 27

prudenceb

This Saturday July 27, join us for an L3 meander down the NH coast from Odiorne to Wallis Sands, with time for interacting with rocks for those who would like to do so.

We will launch in mud and return to firmer ground with low tide a little after 9 am, and high tide around 3:30 pm.

BIB at 9:30 am with beach briefing to precede.

Please post interest here.

pru

If the creek don't rise, and I actually get back to NH as planned, I plan on joining the paddle.

Time to visit that area again and this will be nice opportunity to do so surrounded by stars.

Ed Lawson

Looks as though we will have a nice group and maybe a bit of bounce and wind on Saturday. It's all good. Just bring those helmets if you plan to crash into rocks!

To put together the float plan, could everybody please pm me with: name and cell, emergency contact, boat and description, car make/model and license #. (even if you've given me this info before)

Thanks!

pru

The latest point forecast I looked at for the coast between Portsmouth and Rye is for 3 foot seas. It's a bit beyond my comfort range, but wondering how the group feels about having me along knowing that I'd be looking for a lot of support so I may learn.

I most certainly won't be offended if the answer is no . . .

Cathy, I think that we have enough skilled paddlers in the crew that we can keep each other comfortable and safe if the conditions don't deteriorate further. I would encourage you to come. However we should keep an eye on the forecast. If it looks as though things are getting too wild, we could always think of another venue that might offer some protection - I would appreciate others' thoughts on this. I won't have email access from tomorrow morning until midday, but folks can weigh in and I will as well. Feel free to email if you wish to discuss further. And hopefully everyone will keep track of the thread in case we need to make any changes in the current plan.

pru

Magic Seaweed calling for 4' swells and 3-4' surf at noon, 3-5' at 6am. Things could change. Lets wait til tomorrow morning and decide collectively if we need to change the venue. Could always do a nice warm lake paddle.

If we do opt to keep the original plans, there should be enough back-up. We can stay away from shore and only deal with the swell which is fun and easily manageable but dumping surf could have us finding a safe take-out. It's still doable though. Winds will be light so I don't think the sea state will be at all nasty.

Another option would be Newburyport to the rivers mouth. With a low tide of 11:26 am, we could ride the river out and do the same on the return. That's always a nice paddle.

Doug

Thanks for your thoughts, Doug. Yes, a good idea to all check in and discuss tomorrow. I do not relish the thought of trying to land in big dumping surf, but would relish the thought of riding on fun predictable swells away from the shore and rocks.

Where would one put in for the Newburyport trip?

pru

Cathy:

Here are some things to consider when looking at the marine forecast which may, or may not, ease you concern. I assume you are looking at the Cape Elizabeth to Merimack River forecast which is intended to advise folks of what things will be like up to 25NM offshore. If the wind is westerly, there is no fetch within a hundred yards or so off shore where we are likely going to be paddling, but out 20+Nm there is a big fetch. So the sea state along shore will be absolutely nothing like it is out 20NM. If the wind is from the NE or SE and to some extent Southerly, then the sea state along the shore may be more like what you might expect further out. Of course there might be large swells from a storm far away coming ashore, but swells are much easier to deal with unless you wander into the impact zone.

On quick test is check the Western Maine Shelf buoy. If it is showing wave heights of 2.5 feet or less, then conditions are usually benign. You still need to check in which directions the waves are coming and their period.

It is also generally true the marine forecast can change dramatically in 24 hours so while it is fun and informative to monitor it well ahead of a trip, I doubt we will know what things will be like until Friday night.

Or to be more simple about it. Just do it.

I assume folks practice rescues and all that stuff so they can go on paddles and can help others if needed and it looks as if there will no shortage of people who should be capable of dealing with most anything that might occur on the paddle. Seems to me club paddles should be excellent opportunities to be able to challenge yourself or at least paddle in a little rougher water than normal in the company of others should be willing to mentor and help as needed.

Besides the only way you become a better paddler is by paddling and the only way you become comfortable in rougher water is by paddling in rougher water.

Ed Lawson

This link has been posted before, but it is helpful as the maps tend to be more finely granulated than the text marine forecast.

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/gyxMarineDay.php#tabs

Thinks look good until late in the day using the graphical map. Seems wind might be at our back going down and coming back.

Also keep in mind that when the forecast says 2ft seas it means the average of the highest 1/3 of the waves will be 2 ft. The good news is that means 2/3 of the waves will be less than 2ft. The bad news is a few will be at least twice that high. Just to make things more uncertain, the buoy reports are based on a timed sample routine and it can miss things, especially when there occasional long period swell.

Ed Lawson

Good Morning,

I suspect many of us have been reviewing the marine forecast and trying to determine what the sea state will look like tomorrow morning. Although sca's may remain in effect until late tonight, tomorrow morning the wind and seas should be below sca levels. It is forecast that we may see some NE swells remaining into Saturday morning.

Perhaps we might confirm several key metrics that will effect our activities.

1. Low tide will be around 9:15AM on Saturday morning.

2. The tidal range will be around 9.5 feet.

3. I suspect the seas will be "active" with left over waves and swell.

Conclusion:

The rock garden will present opportunities for those with the proper skills and significant risk to the others. I also suspect there will be breaking waves of some significance in the waters we plan to paddle. The breaking waves could inhibit rescue activities for those on the rocks. In other words, if you do something dopey while playing in the garden, we may have to let you bounce around on the rocks until we can determine a safe way to rescue you!

Warren

I too have been tracking the weather, and the NOAA discussion is predicting winds/seas below sca levels tomorrow. Unless there's significant change for the worse through the day - and we can make final decision this afternoon or early evening - I'd be inclined to say, "let's go!"

Again, particularly given the conditions, I'd like to have people's info for float plan prior to launch tomorrow - so those who haven't already, please pm me with your cell #, emergency contact, boat description, and car make color license. Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing other people weigh in.

pru

Doug,

I agree the forecast for the sea state does not look too dangerous.

I will admit I have not spent much time understanding the effect of the tidal range on the "play" aspect of rock gardens. I assumed the low tide and tidal range would indeed expose more rocks and ledges, thereby creating more challenge in finding channels to navigate through. I thought rock gardeners like low tide versus high tide since the challenge is greater? Of course greater challenge can create greater risk especially when you come down hard on a ledge as the water moves quickly out from under you. Am I missing something?

Earlier this year most of my practice sessions were in these waters and I noticed how large (3-4 ft) breaking waves can pop up due to the ledge formations. It can make for some memorable Bongo Slides or Window Shades even when the overall sea state is in the 2 to 3 ft range. Just something we might need to watch for.

I would be interested in observations others have made regarding this section of the coast.

Warren

It will be interesting to see how the actual conditions and nature of the paddle compare to the pre-paddle predictions. Always a learning experience.

My guess is the headland at Odirone Point may well be "interesting" and being observant about ledge breaks will be prudent, but paddling along the shoreline and landing along the beach should be "fun" while waiting for tide to rise enough to provide paths to wander about rocks. Of course, as a timid woodland creature, I will observe such antics from a substantial distance.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Like yourself, I plan to watch from a safe distance. I will, however, have my tow belt and contact tow and it might be useful to practice hauling some paddler's sorry butt off the rocks.

Warren

post-101565-0-93101000-1374851445_thumb.

Warren,
Rocky topography along the New England coast,including this area, is so varied that one rocky ledge may be good for rock play at high tide but then the next rocky ledge may be entirely different, and only good for rock play at low or mid tide.

If you can open the attached illustration, :
the slot between two rocky ledges at top is only good to pass through at mid tide: : at high tide the entire rocky feature is under water, at low tide , the entire slot between the two ledges is above water .

In the lower illustration: at high tide there is a nice slot between two rocky pinnacles/ledges, but at mid tide that slot is then entirely above water.

so one cannot generalize about an area, , but nevertheless I will. I think along the rocky stretch between Odiorne point and Wallis Sands, it is in the mid tide range that affords the most rock play: at high tide, many ledges are entirely underwater, at low tide, much exposed rock and seaweed. rocks and tides .pdf