Odiorne to Wallis Sands via rocks Saturday July 27

prudenceb

Peter,

Thank you for the great illustrations. I do remember very little rock exposure during high tide. It will be interesting to see the area at low tide. I do like the idea of seaweed covered rocks/ledges. Less gel coat damage! Exciting day tomorrow!

Warren

Warren:

If you are going to go in and get boats and folks sloshing about the ledges, then you might as well spend some time there. Afterall, you need to be in there and hand off the paddle to clip tow on boat so you need to be comfy bouncing around. Or so I have been told.

BTW, is the launch site the state ramp and parking lot or the little area on the other side of the creek?

Ed Lawson

To elaborate a bit on what I failed to be specific about and what Peter clarified, most of Odiorne rocks are completely above water at low tide. Further south there will be some rocks to explore but the return trip should be more exciting for rockafellas and gals.

I have found that on many trips, people tend to explore more on the first half of the paddle and b-line it back to the put-in on the return. I guess it's human nature to do so. I try to encourage people to make the best of both halves and tomorrow particularly, heading north with a more favorable segment of tide and with the wind at our backs we can appreciate the coastline at its best.

Doug

BTW, is the launch site the state ramp and parking lot or the little area on the other side of the creek?

Ed Lawson

The launch side is the bigger parking area on the near side. It's free and doesn't go underwater when the tide comes in!

Plan for launch at 9:30 - with pre-launch beach briefing. Again, could people please send me float plan info. Thanks!

Looking forward to tomorrow. (We should still take another look at the forecast and at this thread, but absent notice the trip is cancelled/changed, assume that we are on!)

pru

Can't make this one but look forward to another time! Have fun!

Edited by ccarlson

Hi,

Although the launch may be "free". a $5.00 donation is strongly encouraged. It would be a shame to have this resource closed due to lack of funding.