On-Water Boat Repair Kit

rfolster

I am looking for some input as to what items people carry on the water for emergency boat repairs. Of those items, what have you actually had to use, and how well did it work?

Gorilla tape, extra float bag, Denzo Tape, mini absorbent towel. Fortunately have not had to use any of them in actual emergency, only drills. Getting the Gorilla tape to stick is biggest challenge-hence the addition of the towel to dry before applying.

"Duck tape" or "duct tape", of course. Can be used to cover holes, cracks and lost hatch covers.

Doug

I think Gorilla tape is even better than duct tape (stronger and sticks better).

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape

Oh, I see Lorrie already recommended Gorilla tape.

Also, a multi-tool is very useful.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/leatherman/multi-tools

Edited by leong

<...garbage bags and bungee cord to act as an emergency hatch cover...>

Why would I want to carry these, Lorrie? I have Valley replacement temporary spare covers! (Sorry: couldn't resist the opportunity for one-upmanship there!) ;^)

There <are> epoxies available that will adhere to wet fibreglass, if you search for them. One of Bob B's favourite suggestions (back a few years) was a used, flattened waxed paper milk carton -- they may be glued or taped in place over a hole in a hull as an emergency repair. There is also a tape that will stick to wet hulls -- cannot remember what it is called; but I think Duluth Trading sell it...

A length of line is always handy in a boat -- perhaps to be used to tether together two or three boats when stopping for lunch? And if you are <really> efficient, what about a spare footpeg? Or, at least, a means of re-attaching or tightening a loose one...

Edited by Pintail

I am looking for some input as to what items people carry on the water for emergency boat repairs. Of those items, what have you actually had to use, and how well did it work?

Seems like Roger's wooden boat received a patch of narrow bituthane (roofer's ice shield) from somebody's hatch, when he had a too-close encounter with a rock, on last year's Jewell outing? Can I buy this in small quantities and narrow width anywhere?

at this point i carry what i have used and only what has worked effectively.

multipurpose tool

ratcheting screwdriver

duct tape

ice shield tape (carry it under the shirt when leading a group - it needs to be warm to work)

2 part epoxy

heavy duty zip ties

line - maybe 10 feet or so of deck line size line.

bungee - 5-10 (?) feet or so

webbing - not much - foot?

self tapping screws

couple of small nuts/bolts

float bags

spare paddles - you can use these as splints depending on how badly you muck up your boat.

can fit it all into a small size lunch sack.

Gary,

Believe it was my patch kit on Rogers boat. The best I have found is an ice and water shield, 4 inch by maybe 25 feet at HD. It is the detail product for around doors and windows. It is stickier than some of the stuff that comes in 4 foot rolls.,

Denso tape backed up on plastic is great to. Not sure where to find Denso. It is a English plumbers pipe wrap for temp. repairs I think.

Even the bituthane tape would be better backed up with a plastic patch and screws. Nice to have enough duct tape to wrap around the boat but what if it is under your butt?

A good trick is to put your patch and a drying rag/towell in a vacuum baggie--the kind you heat seal yourself.

Gorilla tape does not stick to wet surfaces, therefore, I suggest you use duct tape instead.

Gorilla tape, extra float bag, Denzo Tape, mini absorbent towel. Fortunately have not had to use any of them in actual emergency, only drills. Getting the Gorilla tape to stick is biggest challenge-hence the addition of the towel to dry before applying.

In my experience, NOTHING sticks to cold wet surfaces very well. But give the hull a quick swipe with a paper towel, and whatever you have will work much better. Heat sealed baggies with a patch of window flashing and a paper towel are the best I've tried.

Why a <ratcheting> screwdriver, oh Rick-san? It's one more thing to corrode -- dare I suggest that an ordinary screwdriver should suffice? ;^)

One suggestion I also have is sufficent nylon webbing to make a looped "step" (around a cockpit rim) for any paddler who seriously cannot get back into their boat -- say six feet of the stuff...(I suspect that there <are> some who fit this bill?)

I suppose that one's "cargo" should also reflect the task-in-hand? If on a four-day trip with several others, perhaps one's kit would necessarily be more comprehensive than that taken along on a local four-hour trip?

Edited by Pintail

the ratcheting screwdriver is just faster and easier and i'm clumsy enough with tools, thanks very much. it hasn't corroded in the many years i've used it...most of this stuff lives in a smallish nalgene anyways, right?

i keep the webbing for misc repair to back bands i may need to make - have used webbing zip ties, line and bungie all to pretty much the same end at one point or another - field rigging something that's busted.

i've never used webbing for a sling nor seen anyone use it as an aid to get back in the boat....only read about it. i've never had too much trouble getting anyone back in their boat with or without their help and can't fathom bringing another tool for that bill.

the repair kit doesn't change...it all lives in a nylon sack and either that sack gets tossed in the boat or it doesn't...i don't sort it out depending on trip - don't see the point of spending that time.

• 3 weeks later...