Cold Water Immersion Sessions

rfolster

If you thought the 50 degree water at the Cold Water Workshop was cold, you were right. The water temperature is now around 38 degrees, and that is REALLY cold. Do you want to find out just how cold that is, and test your clothing and techniques for staying warm? I am offering a couple of chances to do just that so that people can consider extending their paddling season. To be clear, these are not instructional clinics, but just a chance to experience cold water immersion with the assistance of some fellow paddlers.

The purpose of these sessions will be for individuals to test their immersion clothing, to see if their typical insulation layers are enough for an extended immersion due to a lost boat, a self-rescue, a long assisted rescue, or other reasons. Due to the dangers of cold water, we need to approach these exercises with extreme caution, so my plan is to have two participants act as "spotters" for every one participant performing an activity. Therefore, I am requesting a minimum of three participants in order to hold any session.

My proposed activities include the following:

1) Discussion: We will talk a little about paddling in cold water, and some of the theories about keeping safe. We will also review safe handling and usage of the drysuits, including proper “burping” and the results if you don’t.

2) Immersion: How well do your layers keep you warm when you are just sitting in the water? This may be a short exercise, since we are only looking to see how long it takes for the chill to creep in, and we are not looking for participants to actually get cold. I suggest participants bring all their layering clothing, and perform multiple tests to adjust their layering until they are comfortable.

3) Warm-up: There are several simple tasks and techniques to warming yourself after getting chilled. Again, this is not to be a hypothermia drill, but participants may bring hypo kits and test out their gear and techniques to evaluate them.

4) Swimming: Participants will evaluate how well they can swim in full cold water gear, and for how long, by swimming parallel with the beach, while a kayak and standing spotter watch on from both sides. This exercise will also help to determine how much a strenuous activity will increase your warmth over just sitting in the water.

5) Dexterity: Gloves can greatly hinder dexterity, but cold hands tend to be clumsy. We will attempt to extract and "use" a medical kit from an emergency gear dry bag, as well as manipulate zippers and gear in our PFDs.

6) Rescues: We MAY work on some rescue techniques to determine how cold water effects our efforts. One example may be to use a paddle float, which can be a time-consuming process to extract and deploy for a couple of different rescue methods. This will be dependant on the skills of the participants as this is not meant to be a training session, but a practice session.

The goal of these sessions is to practice and evaluate our techniques and equipment in a dangerous environment as safely as possible. All work in the water will be in shallow water at the beach, allowing for just enough depth for the activity at hand. Drysuits, gloves, and hoods will be required, whether you have your own or are able to make arrangements to borrow. Drysuits will NOT be available to borrow as they were at the Cold Water Clinic. Everyone should bring all of the gear they typically wear when paddling, as well as food and hot beverage to assist with warm up. This should not be included with lunch, so please plan accordingly.

Times and locations are still to be determined, but I am currently looking at the following dates:

Sunday, March 31st (yes, Easter Sunday)

Saturday, April 6th

Sunday, April 21st

If you would like to participate, please post here or PM me with the date(s) you would like to attend. As long as I get two people committed to a date, we will hold the session, and more are definitely welcome!

Sorry Dave! This is looking to be a busy year for everyone, but hopefully that means a lot of trips for everyone!

Let me see how the three posted dates fare, and if needed we can see about adding another date.

Rob,

First off, thank you for arranging these sessions. In checking my calendar, I can participate in all three sessions. I do agree we need at least three hardy souls, so I would guess we can at least practice on 3/31/13 with Jeff. I can be available to participate at the other two sessions as well.

Earlier this year, I had the privilege of working with Bob Levine, the Grand Poobah of Assisted Rescues, at the Haverhill pool sessions. During those sessions, Bob would insist I practice all 87 variations on assisted and solo rescues. You know, right side, left side, on hand tied behind your back, blindfolded, etc. So, in many ways, I feel ready.

I also see this as the next logical step beyond the pool sessions. Sort of like “reality therapy” for the cold water paddler.

Let’s do it!

Warren

Hi Rob,

Best day for me is 3/31, but I'll donate the pool session if you get more people for 4/6. Can't make 4/21. Thanks for organizing.

Warren,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there is a certain amount of self-interest for me in you being able to fish people out every-which-way.

Bob

ps. With the spreading popularity of polar plunges for charity, I've struck upon an NSPN fundraising idea: Say we get $10/minute for the plunge, but sort of de-emphasize the fact that we are wearing dry suits. Hey, is this your NSPN BOD at work, or what?

I could do the 31st - a fine way to spend Easter - as long as there isn't a blizzard or pouring rain or howling wind or something else to turn a cold water immersion experiment into just a totally unpleasant way to spend the day! So...if it's sunny and not windy, I'm in!

pru

ps - sounds like we wouldn't necessarily need to bring out boats....

ps - sounds like we wouldn't necessarily need to bring out boats....

It would be preferrable to have at least a couple of boats on hand, for rescue options (I know Bob really wants to do some), but also as a safety for the swimming exercise. My thought is to swim parallel to the beach, with a kayak on one side and a walker on the beach, to make sure that we keep the swimmer out of trouble. This may be overkill, but I would rather be overly safe than underly(??). I will PM all participants soon with timing and location, and we can discuss boats as well.

For whatever it's worth, my vote would be somewhere not too far north, and to do it on the earlier (before noon) side than later (even though it will be warmer later in the day). Latest forecast for Sunday is for sun and temp getting into 50's. I have easter plans later, so could only make it if it were on earlier side.

pru

We currently have five members ready to get wet on a beautiful Sunday. Air temps itching at 50 degrees, water temps under 40 degrees, little wind and calm water, all should make for a perfect day to test out your gear prior to the start of the season. Remember, as we get into May and June, the weather will get VERY inviting, but the water is still dangerously cold. Here is a good chance to make sure that your drysuit does not have any leaks, and you are ready to handle the cold water when your weekends start filling up with trip after trip!

Oh, by the way, Kokatat is currently three weeks out for suit repairs, which is where my suit currently is. Attendees this weekend get to see me in Cathy's "rainbow butt" suit for the day! Should be interesting!

No girly man episode for Rob. He bought his suit locally and so gets a loaner while waiting for his to come back.

Now that's a benefit you don't get from the internet!

Suz

I don't have a dry suit, but I'm curious to try one. I know I can rent one for the day at my local scuba shop. Would that makes sense or is this really intended to test "my" dry suit rather than "a" dry suit?

Thanks,

Joyce

PS I would only be able to make the 4/21 date.

Joyce, whether you rent or borrow (talk to Cathy), these sessions are a perfect opportunity for you and those who have never been in a drysuit before, or who have but not in colder water. While maybe not quite like Suz's Cold Water Clinic, we will review some of the tips and tricks for dealing with cold water, as well as providing some general guidance for usage and care of drysuits for those who have never had one.

By the way, this is also an opportunity for those who are dusting off their own drysuits from winter storage to check them for leaks, as well as brush up on some skills and techniques.

Joyce - you're welcome to borrow my drysuit on the 21st. I believe we're similar sizes, but PM me and we'll make sure. I'm doing land-based things that day, so won't need it. Robert can bring it with him that day.

Thanks for doing this! Count me in for the 21st. I have a new dry suit but haven't even put it on - still too scared of it, in spite of Suz and everybody's great job at last fall's workshop! Florrie

So far, I have gotten no interest (other than Warren) in the Session for this Saturday, so let me know if anyone is "thinking about it" by Wednesday afternoon, otherwise I will make other plans.

As for the 21st, I am excited to have two brand new new-suit owners and a borrower!! I think that we will spend the day concentrating much more on the suits themselves (proper usage and care), layering, and other gear. I will have two fleece changing cloaks to adjust layers in privacy, so bring what you've got and try it all out.

The point of the day will be to get people "comfortable" in the water, so I don't think that we will attempt any in-boat time as a group. If people want to bring their boats, please send me a PM and we will discuss. We can also do a basic review of hypothermia and prevention/treatment methods, as well as discuss general concerns with paddling in cold water.

Let's hope for good weather!

I don't think that we will attempt any in-boat time as a group. If people want to bring their boats, please send me a PM and we will discuss

Upon further discussion, it has been determined that boats should be brought to the session, although there are no plans to actually paddle anywhere. This will allow for practice of wet exists and rescues as desired by the participants.