What conditions pose risk to seakayakers?

Gcosloy

A recent paddle in a day of high swells and strong winds prompted the thought: Just what represents risk and danger to us sea kayakers. Clearly, experience and skill may minimize the risk inherent in the worst conditions, nevertheless it might be useful to discuss conditions independent of paddler skill or to assume that conditions pose uniform threats to all paddlers in a strict linear fashion based upon experience. In other words a 5* paddler may be able to easily navigate big breaking swells but cannot deny that they pose more risk than say flat water with moderate chop. So here goes: Strong winds and gusts often provide no more than annoyance and impediment to rapid forward progress up to 20 to 25k. Above this stronger gusts abeam of the kayak can cause a capsize by catching the blade of a high angle paddler. Low angle paddling will minimize this. Waves, swell, rollers and breakers are another story. Swells of 5 to 8 ft. (I don’t recall being in anything larger.) with decently long periods can provide some of the safest and more enjoyable rides out there. It’s like being on a rapidly rising and falling elevator, providing you either quarter or stay parallel to the swells. Big swells at your stern can provide even more thrills but are more risky in that more skill is needed to prevent or overcome the tendency to broach. Waves that break, even small ones pack the energy of mass, which non-breaking waves do not and are more problematic. Even a one footer breaking can flip you if you are not anticipating it by bracing into it. Even large breaking waves can be paddled safely by heading into them. Caught on your stern and you are surfing which requires even more skill than many of us possess. Breaking water in and among rocks is dangerous and even if your bracings skills avoid capsize the kayak can be moved rapidly into rocks that you’re trying to avoid or navigate around. Sometimes the breakers will come from two different directions, which make it even more difficult. Another condition that requires care and skill is strong current, not just to go against but to anticipate unpredictable areas of current, rips, boils etc. The Piscataqua River near Portsmouth is rich in these conditions. Finally, particularly here in Maine, the seacoast contains so many rocks, reefs and shoals that depending on the tide if you don’t possess the “local knowledge” to avoid these hazards you can find yourself plunging into a hole formed by the undertow with solid rock waiting to greet you. Well, this is my list; I’m interested if others have different experiences to add or subtract from my conclusions.

I'll respond with saying the ones you can't be comfortable in enough to function as part of a group. I'll out myself and say that there have been trips in conditions where I've felt the edge of sea sickness or other gastro distress coming on. As it gets stronger, I tend to withdrawal, focusing more on my own needs and forget to act like a good group member. If you see me off the front not talking to anybody, it's a good guess that might be whats going on.

Phil

I'll respond with saying the ones you can't be comfortable in enough to function as part of a group.

I'd say that just about says it all in a nutshell. Specifics obviously depend up a given paddler, boat, load combination and how they are feeling that day.

Ed Lawson

I will add sun glare. I know, wear sunglasses; but I find that even with them on when the sun is at a low angle, the glare can make it quite difficult to 'read' the water ahead of you. I know it just makes me want to put my head down and paddle, which is the worst thing in conditions.

Phil and Ed,

Yes I would agree; I purposely avoided adding group paddling because that adds complications that sometimes are independent of conditions. Years ago I got sick, nauseous, dizzy to the point that I could hardly paddle straight coming back from Marblehead to Manchester harbor. Dee Hall stayed on my beam and talked me back safely. The conditions were light wind, moderate chop no big deal. The mix of paddlers and their range of skills or lack thereof contains a whole other set of potential risks in groups. I was on a paddle this late summer where one went over in serious bumpy water and four or five of his companions crowded around like he was putting on a show. No one of the otherwise skilled paddlers offered any assistance and a lone paddler quite a bit further out and called by radio raced to the scene with a fast and clean T-rescue. I was even further away and this account came not as an eyewitness. What does it mean to "function as a group" when some cannot perform a simple assisted rescue, or contact tow someone away from rocks or out of the breakers? As much as I appreciate the emphasis on beach briefings largely initiated by the Cam workshops the NSPN has put on the last few years there is still a great deal of reluctance during these briefings to identify holes in the skill set of individuals or full disclosure of medical issues that could make the difference between life and death. I'm sure this is omitted so as not to embarrass those being questioned or to relieve the awkwardness of the questioner. Perhaps these sensitive questions could be handled via PM's or emails before the trip?

Gene,

It might be helpful if I add a couple comments concerning your experience paddling in strong wind conditions.

You are correct that wind speed and/or gusts in access of 25 mph on beam does present a problem. Although I have paddled in those conditions, I did not experience any instability with my kayak (NDK Explorer). I did, however, find it was impossible for me to stay on course. That was probably more a characteristic of my level of strength and endurance. The kayak would drift down wind. Not a lot, but enough that I would have found the process dangerous if I had been paddling close to rocks. It can be a very useful activity to experience and I am now aware of how my body interacts with my kayak in those conditions.

Warren

Interesting topic Gene. Most likely our paddle Sunday gave you some things to ponder in retrospect.

Paddling to me is a very personnel experience. I often describe it as being alone in the company of others. When conditions get moderate to extreme, I tend to withdraw within myself and release the outside world enabling me to become in tune with the sea. I enjoy feeling its rhythms as if dancing through changes that present themselves in an attempt to fool me or catch me off guard. This makes me feel alive like nothing else can. The unfortunate side effect of this mind set is it can pull me away from the group of paddlers I am with.

It's so important to follow your own rhythm. On many occasions I have seen people get in trouble simply following someone else's line with a false sense of security. Most likely the experienced paddler in front of you moving through the rocks or shoals is doing so in a deliberate and well timed fashion. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security unless you yourself are timing the movement of the sea. Good way to win "The Hard Knocks" award.

As conditions get challenging I love to face the sea head on with a full force and constant cadence carving my path to a point on the horizon. Times like this I feel the need to paddle with strong paddlers so I can continue to push forward without having to stop for slower ones. Stopping tends to break my flow like having to wake up from a good dream. There is a time and place for that sort of paddling I suppose. It's not really a CAMish mind set. I must be less selfish when paddling with others unless of course they feel the same as I.

Strong winds and gusts often provide no more than annoyance and impediment to rapid forward progress up to 20 to 25k. Above this stronger gusts abeam of the kayak can cause a capsize by catching the blade of a high angle paddler. Low angle paddling will minimize this.

Note that even the top ocean racers like Oscar Chalupski switch to lower angle paddling as conditions warrant.

Phil and Ed,

Yes I would agree; I purposely avoided adding group paddling because that adds complications that sometimes are independent of conditions.

Gene

I cannot speak for Phil, but my agreement with his criteron was based on the thought that if you are comfy enough to be able to pay attenton to others, paddle close to others, and provide assistance to others via conversation or actual assistance, then you are paddling in conditions you are actually competent to paddle. It was not to inject group paddling as such into the mix. We all paddle over our heads and need to for some reasons so I do not consider doing so bad. I do think it foolish to think just because you made it back, you are competent at that level.

Ed Lawson

I did, however, find it was impossible for me to stay on course.

Warren:

Consider the possbility that being able to hold a course is a good measure of being competent in the circumstances. Often the boat is a major factor in wind so it is a measure of competence of the partnership of boat and paddler. Not the first time someone in that boat has had problem turning to wind if that was the problem you are describing.

Ed Lawson

Who is no stranger to having a boat decide where I will go.

... it might be useful to discuss conditions independent of paddler skill or to assume that conditions pose uniform threats to all paddlers in a strict linear fashion based upon experience.

This sounds to me more like one of Leon's brain teasers, so I am trying to get a grasp of what it is you are getting at. I would first interject one small facet to the conversation. I would offer the idea that ACTUAL risk is inversely proportional to experience (the more experience you have, the more you are able to reduce the risk factors). Oddly enough, PERCEIVED risk is (usually) directly proportional to experience (the less experience you have, the less you are able to understand the risks you face).

With that said (and maybe not said well), I am thinking that many risks have an inverse linear correlation to experience. Let's take wind as the most popular example so far in the thread. You say that 20-25kt winds are only an annoyance, but does that hold true for an L2 paddler? No, for them high winds is a high risk. For a 5* paddler, these conditions are a "refreshing breeze". So, I would like to offer some possible conditions that do NOT have a linear proportion of risk-to-skill ratio.

Fog: Even for a 5*, fog presents huge risk variables that take an extraordinary quantity of skills to manage: navigation; communication (VHF radio and the knowledge to use it properly); local knowledge of currents (you can't anticipate ferry angle if you can't see the current); all of which are very specialized skills that take an enormous amount of practice to master. However, neither the L2 paddler nor the 5* can learn how to avoid an idiot in a silent sailboat who is not using a VHF radio.

Cold Water: I hope that everyone who attended the cold water workshop is much more comfortable paddling in colder water, and understands the benefits of dressing appropriately and using the proper gear and equipment. However again, the L2 paddler is just as prone to an unforeseen on come of cold shock or hypothermia as a 5* would be.

Those are two that I am able to come up with. Does anyone have any others, or would like to refute my assessments?

I occasionally paddle with 30-knot winds and 8-foot swells, mostly in Florida. Nevertheless, my most challenging day on the water occurred on a “calm” day. It was during the 2010 Mayor’s Cup race (a 29-mile race around Manhattan). The first part on the Hudson River was a piece of cake; almost flat water and some tidal push kept me going about 8 knots. Later in the East River, I approached the famous treacherous waters of Hell Gate, where the Harlem River, Long Island Sound and East River converge. From a distance it looked like a whitewater river. But it wasn’t until I actually got into it that I realized how difficult it would be to stay upright and yet stay with the competition. My tippy new Epic 18X Ultra made it even more difficult than it normally would be (I was cursing myself for not paddling my rough water Seda Impulse). The Hell Gate area had three-foot high standing waves, whirlpools, strong current, rips and very confused water. The greatest danger, however, was artificial. It was caused by heavy commercial vessel traffic through the tight channel. Although the high frequency natural chop was only about 2 or 3 feet high, the boat traffic generated some 6-foot wakes that drove me too close to the sea wall. The reflected waves required almost continual low braces and my first few high braces, ever, with a wing paddle. Once through Hell Gate it became easier and I worked hard to regain most of the places I had lost to the guys in the more stable boats.

Generally, I like to draw the line around 25 knot winds and 5-6 ft breakers. I have found myself in 30+ knot winds, and peaky 8 foot waves and found them uncomfortable. Also, high winds on a very cold day are worrisome - you have this feeling that the wind is going to suck all the heat out of your body no matter how you dressed.

The main fog hazard is other boats in the water. I have to say that I like fog, as it pushes my navigational skills, and has a nice ambience, but I know in the back of my mind that it's risky because of boats coming upon me.

Big currents...hmm...

One problem I have is that there are two modes that I operate on - one is a "bring me to the brink to test my skills", which is entertaining, but probably ill advised. The other mode is "am I being prudent"?

There's a graduate student in my group who is an avid rock-climber. We discussed the issues of risk in sea kayaking and alpine rock climbing, and agreed that the dividing line was a tricky one. Crevasses or sudden squalls? Take your pick.

Peter B. and I did a fun little paddle along the south shore of Great Cranberry a few years back. It was foggy (always seems to be there), and there were all these funky ledges that caused waves to break without warning. We didn't have any problems and it was kind of fun, but I remember being surprised by a sudden breaker in front of me. There, I think the 'fear factor' was more the unknown of where the ledges would be looming out there in the fog, and they were probably manageable, but just surprising.

I don't think anyone has mentioned disorganized chop vs. - well - whatever you call it when it's wind-driven, big and sharp but organized (I remember somebody saying swells are always driven by the deep ocean dynamics, not wind). Even with a short period I can take much bigger organized waves than disorganized chop.

One other line of thought: Once you set off as a group, the whole group moves only as fast as the slowest person. That means, if you frequently paddle in a group, at some point you are likely to need to paddle slower than your comfort level in conditions. It can happen if anyone is sick or injured, or has equipment problems, or if one member of the group is being towed (by someone other than yourself). One approach is to actually practice expanding your comfort level. I think that being able to paddle slowly in conditions (rather than constantly stopping, which is nerve racking) is an important skill that we should practice like any other. We practice rolling, surfing, rescues, paddling backwards and sideways, even standing in or on our boats. Why not add one more to the list?

I don't think anyone has mentioned disorganized chop

The Hell Gate area had three-foot high standing waves, whirlpools, strong current, rips and very confused water. My term for disorganized chop.

As an aside, I found Gene's story about the botched rescue (paddlers sitting there, watching, yet doing nothing) somewhat disturbing. Although we practise rescues fairly regularly, it seems that it might not be enough? (Note to self: think ahead to next spring/early summer) I suppose we should practise them <regularly enough> that everyone feels capable of performing a rescue on someone else...

As an aside, I found Gene's story about the botched rescue (paddlers sitting there, watching, yet doing nothing) somewhat disturbing.

Actually I found it more than somewhat disturbing.

Although we practise rescues fairly regularly, it seems that it might not be enough?

I wonder if it is a different issue that not knowing how to do it or not having practiced it enough. Seems a few rescues every three months or so should be more than adequate in terms of keeping skill up. Having a skill and being ready, able, willing to use it effectively when needed seems to be another matter based on that story.

Ed Lawson

I was on a paddle this late summer where one went over in serious bumpy water and four or five of his companions crowded around like he was putting on a show. No one of the otherwise skilled paddlers offered any assistance and a lone paddler quite a bit further out and called by radio raced to the scene with a fast and clean T-rescue. I was even further away and this account came not as an eyewitness. What does it mean to "function as a group" when some cannot perform a simple assisted rescue, or contact tow someone away from rocks or out of the breakers?

Yes Gene, I think I know of the paddle you are referring to. I too was quite dismayed at then lack of assistance the individual received. I was one of 2 that came to his assistance from 150 yards or so away. There were other circumstances that added to the situation. One was the fact the dunkee as I will call him had been ill days prior to the trip and already took a swim an hour or so earlier. In this case he was initially blindsided by a nasty wave that broke over a hidden shoal he was passing over. He was weak and swallowing water and to his misfortune the paddlers around him feared coming to the rescue over this shoal that was actively breaking waves. I know for a fact that all but one of those individuals have practiced rescues in the past but had never had to do so in a lively environment. Instead they surrounded the area just out of reach of the person in the water actually getting in the way of the two of us that approached full speed into the rescue zone. Paddler and boat made it out fine but it could have been worse. I don't like seeing close calls.

I don't blame the people that didn't rescue this kayaker. If they tried, they too would have become part of the rescue by needing to be rescued themselves. Shit happens! If we take it upon ourselves to paddle in the places we do, we put trust and faith in those around us to help if its needed. When we paddle with those with a varied level of skill as was the case here, the more experienced paddlers should infiltrate the group more evenly. If any mistake was made in this case, it was that the more experienced in the group fell short of distributing themselves within the multi pods these paddlers broke into. Conditions were not difficult at this point of the day. Seas had really calmed down and it seemed unlikely that any kind of rescue would be needed on this trip return. Lesson learned, be prepared and expect the unexpected.

Discussions between those involved were initiated later one on one.

Doug

Hmmmm.... so, anyone interested in the next CAM sessions? Seems like there are more people out there that could benefit from the training than are willing to admit.

Doug's description of the situation, and a previous post of Gene's, makes me want to add another risk that I would not have previously considered - illness! No matter how skilled you are, if you get ill (seasick or viral-type sickness), that can not only pose risks to yourself but also those that you are paddling with.

I'm just going to add my two cents here. I have a mantra that I repeatedly tell people l paddle with: "Develop your paddling skills to the point where you are a group asset...not a liability". Unfortunately, many paddles I've been on especially with less experience paddlers in the group, as soon as anyone mentions "let's practice rescues", everyone disappears, except the more experienced paddlers that already know how to do them well.

To me, any conditions that make you question your ability to handle them, is a risk. Using common sense and good judgment is the best risk mitigator out there. If you look at the causes of most kayaking accidents, kayakers overestimated their ability to paddle in the conditions that were present. It's usually a series and combination of small mistakes in misjudgments that end up in the worst situations. Developing your skills to handle more challenging conditions is next, but it doesn't supersede plain common sense and an honest evaluation of your own skills. It's OK to turn around or go to Plan B if you run into conditions beyond your capabilities. I just did that only a few weeks ago myself, twice in one day. Good judgement prevailed over stupid bravado!

I'm just going to add my two cents here. I have a mantra that I repeatedly tell people l paddle with: "Develop your paddling skills to the point where you are a group asset...not a liability". Unfortunately, many paddles I've been on especially with less experience paddlers in the group, as soon as anyone mentions "let's practice rescues", everyone disappears, except the more experienced paddlers that already know how to do them well.

To me, any conditions that make you question your ability to handle them, is a risk. Using common sense and good judgment is the best risk mitigator out there. If you look at the causes of most kayaking accidents, kayakers overestimated their ability to paddle in the conditions that were present. It's usually a series and combination of small mistakes in misjudgments that end up in the worst situations. Developing your skills to handle more challenging conditions is next, but it doesn't supersede plain common sense and an honest evaluation of your own skills. It's OK to turn around or go to Plan B if you run into conditions beyond your capabilities. I just did that only a few weeks ago myself, twice in one day. Good judgement prevailed over stupid bravado!

Excellent advice.

Cathy,

I very much enjoyed reading your thoughtful observations on what a trip initiator is looking for from a trip participant. I like how your experience has allowed you to focus on at least three characteristics you would like to see in any trip participant. 1. Be an asset to the team. 2. Use common sense. 3. Make good decisions.

During this past year I had the privilege to join in on, as well as initiate, trips with paddlers who routinely exhibit those characteristics. However, it has not always been that way. We grew in our skills by learning from each other.

While this evolution was occurring, I tried to determine what specific actions an inexperienced paddler would need to take to help themselves gain the critically important skills of good judgment and common sense. I concluded that some inexperienced paddlers, such as me, loose our ability to make good decisions based on common sense when we experience the unexpected. The goal should then be to minimize the unexpected.

Remember what many of us as beginners are taught. Always wear a PFD, learn to perform a wet exit, and grow in our knowledge of assisted rescues and solo rescues. These are all valuable and necessary skills for anyone paddling on the ocean. I learned these skills and began “tagging along” on CAM trips. I quickly learned that more skills were needed in order to stay out of the “Terror Zone”. Even though I was making a diligent effort to gain more skills and to be an asset, when to use those new skills was somewhat elusive. In other words, good judgment was a higher level skill that seemed to elude me at the time. For me, the problem was the “tagging along” behavior. I was relying upon experienced trip initiators to do the thinking necessary to keep the group safe. They all did a great job, but I felt when I relied upon them I would not gain the skills to make the good decisions on future trips.

Luckily for me, I was able to gain access to NSPN members who possessed the mentoring skills to diagnose the problem. From those conversations I realized I needed to focus on three actions I would take prior to each trip. 1. Study the marine forecast for the trip location. 2. Study and bring with me a detailed nautical chart. 3. Begin understanding how the marine forecast and topography would affect the sea state. I vividly remember navigating through Goose Rock Passage and the Little Sheepscot River with ease due using this methodology in my preparation prior to that trip.

I concluded that many less experienced paddlers gain a great deal of confidence in their abilities when they encounter the sea state they expected to see. They mentally prepare themselves and go through a mental check off list of the actions that might be needed. This process tends to communicate a mental state of good common sense and sound judgment.

Perhaps, this attempt at adding my “two cents” might provide some insight into how we could help guide a beginner who seems to have skills but in struggling to put all the pieces together.

Warren

No matter how skilled you are, if you get ill (seasick or viral-type sickness), that can not only pose risks to yourself but also those that you are paddling with.

I believe that once a person is seriously seasick their ability to stay upright is minimal and the only respite comes from being ashore. That means one person to stabilize and one person to tow and might be no easy time for all if far from getting ashore or only by going through "stuff".

Not sure just attending CAM sessions and/or offering CAM sessions is the solution to some of the issues raised in Gene's story as further detailed by Doug.

Ed Lawson