What conditions pose risk to seakayakers?

Gcosloy

Gene, I really want to thank you for bringing up such a good topic. I think that discussing the risks that we face is always good, and it should never get old. The key is not only to identify the risks, but to discuss how to avoid them if possible or how to deal with them.

Not sure just attending CAM sessions and/or offering CAM sessions is the solution to some of the issues raised in Gene's story as further detailed by Doug.

Ed, I agree that CAM alone would not solve the issues presented. This post has given me the kick in the but to start planning some trips next season that will specifically be designed to work on advanced level skills such as boat control, rolls, and assisted rescues in rough water and high wind. These trips will be CAM style, so group organization and maintenance on the water will also be stressed and practiced. The goals of these trips will be to locate a particular "risk" (rough water, wind, current, fog, etc.) that we can safely approach, engage, practice and assess multiple skills. These are not going to be leader-led events but true CAM trips where intermediate paddlers can improve there existing skills in other than flat water venues. I am currently recruiting advanced paddlers (BCU 4* / ACA Level 4 and above or equivalent skill level) to offer encouragement and assist incase we push ourselves too much. I will probably wait until the end of the winter to start serious planning, so stay tuned.

Cathy just brought up a good point that another risk we all face is complacency. When we start to paddle with the same people and/or in the same areas, we can have a tendency to let our guard down. Trip planning becomes less thorough, beach briefings are skipped, and group dynamics become too loose.