Most useful rescue techniques

Gcosloy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the paddle-float re-entry and roll self-rescue is good in a variety of conditions, and I have more confidence in this self-rescue technique than many others, though of course, staying in your boat is always best. It helps to be quick about it and to practice while wearing various paddling clothing, like your dry suit. It usually works fine too if you don't take the time to completely inflate both sides, as long as you keep your head down and attach the float with the strap. I think semi-inflated can be better in strong winds than an awkward fully inflated float you then have to deal with, taking it off and deflating in conditions. Practicing hip snaps using just holding the blown up paddle float is something I try sometimes to strengthen my hip snap and improve flexibility, without having to worry about set-up and blade angles.

I also find the scoop rescue to be an easy way to help a fellow paddler, but it does involve having to pump the boat out after they are back in -- I just stay rafted up until this is accomplished. The scoop comes in very handy with beginners or individuals without a lot of upper body strength to pull themselves up out of the water, or with someone who is anxious or cold.

Interesting discussion.

Sculling from an inverted boat puts one in a position to right the boat with a hip snap and/or downward pressure on the paddle. Extended paddle sculling generally increases buoyancy and leverage.

Bob, although I've taught myself many different rescue techniques successfully, I've never really learned to scull with confidence. There is something about it that just eludes me.