CAM Discussion #1: Radios

rfolster

OK Folks, I stirred up more with my few words then I intended. I've apologized to Leon off line.

Phil

Yes, we're still friends.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that group cohesion may be another topic that Robert may post..

I am definitely working on that one, as well as a few others. It will be interesting to see how this series plays out.

I understand the concern about salt damage to the VHF. I thought I'd throw this in: I just counted (on my trip log) 81 salt water trips taken with my I-Comm M72 (I bought it 6/10) - still working fine.

This year, based on others' experiences with a sticking on/off/volume knob, I have been cleaning it with Salt-Away each time. It only takes a minute. I'm not sure it will completely eliminate the problem, but it should help.

Based on the instructions for Salt-Away, if you wait for the salt buildup to get established it's much, much harder to remove it than if you wash it every time. I would consider this marketing fluff if I hadn't seen it happen myself on other pieces of equipment.

-Lisa

just returned from a long hiking trip cut short...my take:

I always have my radio leashed to my pfd and zipped in my pfd pocket. I keep it turned off unless I decide it be necessary to be turned on. The reason is basically I want to have the batteries when charged I really need to use the radio.

OTOH I don't make much fuss about it. If I am in the group and the general consensus is to have radios ON then I oblige.

From my own limited experience I have come into situations when radios were used and I did not hear the VHF conversation but I think a whistle would have been more effective to raise alert.

As far as group dynamics are concerned I always thought one should be within a line of sight and not within audible range. If so then I am guilty of separating from audible range of the entire collective almost every time I paddle.