How to stuff...

Katherine

While 4 intrepid paddlers were breaking down camp it was remarked that we stuffed our sleeping bags in 4 different ways. We couldn't help but wonder, "Which way is best, most efficient?". We couldn't decide and now we are asking you. Here are the different ways.

1. foot end first, zipped closed

2. foot end first, un-zipped

3. head end first, zipped closed

4. head end first, un-zipped.

What do you think?

Foot end first zipped or unzipped doesn't matter, unless your bag zips completely closed, then unzipped - the air gets trapped if it's zipped or if the closed end is last, so it takes much longer to expel that air and stuff it in.

Foot end first, zipped. Then I don't close the dry bag until I'm ready to stuff the whole thing into the boat. As I work it into my front hatch (usually the last thing to go in up there because it's so eminently stuffable when there seems to be no room left), the air gets expelled, and I fold down the dry bag after it's all in place.

pru

While 4 intrepid paddlers were breaking down camp it was remarked that we stuffed our sleeping bags in 4 different ways. We couldn't help but wonder, "Which way is best, most efficient?".

What do you think?

I stuff the foot end first becasue is seems it is easier to stuff/compress/ram down into the bottom of the stuff sack the smaller end of the sleeping bag and one key to getting the bag into a small stuff sack is packing it well into the bottom. Once stuffed I then "knee" it to compress further before closing. Don't know if any of that makes sense or a difference in reality. It's just my habit.

Ed Lawson

On a related but important topic, I recommend MOST HIGHLY the Outdoor Research Hydroseal Compression dry bags for packing soft, compressible items. They are the only ones on the market that really work, IMHO, because they have two separate chambers -- an inside one for compression and an outer one for sealing the top against water. You compress first with straps, tie that off inside, and then seal with the roll top. You don't do both operations together, which is where is the other kinds of bags fail. I have several of these with soft things (spare clothes and fleeces, light sleeping bags) that are more or less permanently sealed and stay rock-hard forever, with not a cubic centimeter of compression lost!

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-AirPurge-Compression-Sack/dp/B001PS5NTE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Wow -- as I search for these, I fear they are being discontinued. That may be because they are more expensive, and though they are worth it, most people fail to appreciate their big advantage -- they work! If you don't believe me, I have a motley collection of compression dry bags that don't work, and I'd be happy to sell them to you very cheap. Either they don't compress well or they lose their compression rather quickly.

Kayakers will primarily want the smallest two sizes, and mostly the smallest -- 10L and 15L. Get a couple before they are gone. I'm going to grab a couple more right now.

--David

Wow -- as I search for these, I fear they are being discontinued. That may be because they are more expensive, and though they are worth it, most people fail to appreciate their big advantage -- they work! If you don't believe me, I have a motley collection of compression dry bags that don't work, and I'd be happy to sell them to you very cheap. Either they don't compress well or they lose their compression rather quickly.

David, have you tried the Sea To Summit eVent compression dry sacks? They are a newer design (replacing yours?) that are able to expel the air after being closed instead of the other way around. We use them for our sleeping bags, and I have seen several other people using them as well. They compress very well, and I had a sleeping bag packed for over a week (I know, I know - not good) and it did not loose compression. The the compression top can be a little tricky to get the straps to lay right, but I have found that you get used to it after a while.

Closed end first zipped, for reasons given above. I stuff mine into a nylon compression sack which gets it smaller than you can by putting the sleeping bag directly into a drybag. I stick the compressed bag into a dry bag and stuff clothes and small stuff around it. Florrie