Tempest 165 Pro - leak in rear compartment

mbhazeltine

I am finding that the rear compartment of my tempest has a slow leak. It is not awful but would like some advice as to how to best fix it. One place it is clearly leaking is from the skeg cable connection but I think there are other leaks. I have tried filling the skeg box with water which is how I found that the cable connection is leaking but my sense is that this point is above the water line when underway so there must be another place.

Any advice would be useful.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I have a tempest 170 and went through the same thing. I used 3m 5200 to seal the point where the skeg cable goes through the skeg box. It's a common leak point on tempests. The box might be above the water line in perfectly smooth water but any bump or edging would let water in. If you're doing any rolling the rear hatch rim could be a point of entry for water as well. If you open the hatch and pour water around the rim you'll see it seeping in if the seal has been compromised.

There's a lot of good info on the tempest owners yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tempestOwners/ you're not a member you should sign up.....it's free and Steve Shearer, the designer of the tempest line is quick to answer questions and offer advice.

I have a 170 - same problem. There's a screw-on fitting that's brings the sheath around the skeg cable into the box. The problem is that the joint that holds the fitting into the fiberglass is weak, and any stressed on it will cause cracks. My solution is pretty low-tech. I carry around a bunch of plumber's putty and plaster it over the fitting. Over time, the putty eventually finds its way into little bits in the rear compartment that I just clean up and then slap on some more fresh putty. Not pretty but it works.

One possibility is the epoxy-putty that you can get in hardware stores. I have a stick of this around, but I haven't had the time to try this more permanent fix.

Thanks to all. Took a flashlight to it last night and saw a small crack or two. filled them in today. My sense is that some water might have frozen in the skeg housing over the winter and made some small cracks. I have attempted to sign up for the Tempest user group and did goop the skeg cable.

My sense is that some water might have frozen in the skeg housing over the winter and made some small cracks.

If you stored the boat upside down and outside, then that is as good a guess as any. Definitely one way to cuase leaks in skeg box.

Ed Lawson