Message board upgrade Thursday June 14th 21:00 EDT

jason

Rene and i will be upgrading the message board Thursday June 14th 21:00 EDT. Please plan on having the message board down for 3-4 hours Thursday night.

We will be looking for feedback and bug reporting Friday AM.

-Jason

Correct.

Also known as 3 hours after the chickens come home to roost.

René

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Correct.

Also known as 3 hours after the chickens come home to roost.

Or is that 3 hours before the chickens come home to roost

or perhaps 1 minute before stuff hits the fan? <g>

I know the site is in good hands and everything will be fine.

Ed Lawson

Who has dealt with the unintended consequences of upgrades

and so has a bad attitude about them

Ok. My chickens (I have 12) are definitely sleeping now.

The upgrade appears to have gone well. We will watch feedback over the weekend and make any necessary adjustments on the go.

Thank You. It is now ok to log in and use the board.

I like the new look and functionality. :cheer:

I'm a big fan of smileys and noticed there's a few new ones! They are now presented smaller, though and a little hard to see.

The editing probably works better and is done in a way that most people will like, but when I toggled it back to the old 'html' mode 'cause I like that better, the option to put any formatting in went away, which is fine, but I don't know what you call some of the smileys, so can't put the code in myself. Not important!

When you click on Message Boards, there's a 'Latest Files' object in the right hand navigation pane. Was that there before? It seems to have somewhat irrelevant content in it - basically any time someone 'attached' a file.

I like the new calendar items object on the right.

I'm going to make a typically female comment: The new blue theme doesn't go well with the teal colors in the top banner.

I like the new look and functionality. :cheer:

I'm a big fan of smileys and noticed there's a few new ones! They are now presented smaller, though and a little hard to see.

The editing probably works better and is done in a way that most people will like, but when I toggled it back to the old 'html' mode 'cause I like that better, the option to put any formatting in went away, which is fine, but I don't know what you call some of the smileys, so can't put the code in myself. Not important!

When you click on Message Boards, there's a 'Latest Files' object in the right hand navigation pane. Was that there before? It seems to have somewhat irrelevant content in it - basically any time someone 'attached' a file.

I like the new calendar items object on the right.

I'm going to make a typically female comment: The new blue theme doesn't go well with the teal colors in the top banner.

I wouldn't worry too much about the color clashes at this point - Working on the whole nspn site is a work in progress, and thinking about colors will ultimately be part of it, I assume. (But I think we can all predict that the new color scheme will NOT include the color pink!)

pru

Hey guys,

I'm afraid one of those chickens got loose. I just noticed the Calendar events appear to have all shifted to a day earlier. So everything that was scheduled for a Saturday, like the Solstice paddle, is now on a Friday, and the Sunday events have moved to Saturday. The Chebbaco sessions have moved from Thurs. to Wed. and the Seabrook surf sessions from Wed. to Tues.

Other than that, I like the new look.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope this is an easy fix for you. Having worked in tech support as a DBA, I'm all too familiar with that awful feeling when the "easy" upgrade goes awry.

Blaine

I really like the new message board. Nice new features included in it.

Here's my 2 cents worth.

The black bar at the top is too black or too much of a contrasting color. Can we lighten it up or make it dark blue or something not so distracting to the rest of the page?

The "View New Content" (block) should stand out more and catch your eye. Perhaps in a dark blue with all Caps or something. It's an important link button that should stand out.

The "Latest Files" are not all that important and shouldn't be something we see every time we open the message board. Nobody really looks at it that often. For now at least move it below the "upcoming events" that are currently below it as "upcoming events" should be on top. Upcoming events is probably one of the most important items on our website. They should be seen without scrolling down.

We are making great strides here. I'm sure everyone will be happy and appreciate what the 2 of you, Jason and Rene, have done. Thanks....

I have made the top bar dark blue. If there is a more preffered hex color of dark blue then throw it in here. I have removed the Latest Files on the right which moves the calendar events to the top. Nice suggestion. I like that.

I am not sure what I can do with the events calendar shifting by a day. That is pretty freaky. I hope Jason can see whether this is an easy fix.

The View New Content might be tough to separate from the rest of the entries on the same line. changing the color for that bar will change them all. I will look into it when I get back from paddling Saturday night.

Wow, you really jumped on that fast, thanks. Not to be a pain in the butt or to be too fussy, but if at least for now we could tweak the top bar that used to be black and change it to the same color of the bar that says "8 replies to this topic" located under the "Reply to this topic" button it would be a better choice of color not clashing with the other teals as "pinkpaddler" mentioned.

Maybe the issue with the calendar shift was that the first day of the week had changed.

Hey guys,

I'm afraid one of those chickens got loose. I just noticed the Calendar events appear to have all shifted to a day earlier. So everything that was scheduled for a Saturday, like the Solstice paddle, is now on a Friday, and the Sunday events have moved to Saturday. The Chebbaco sessions have moved from Thurs. to Wed. and the Seabrook surf sessions from Wed. to Tues.

Other than that, I like the new look.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope this is an easy fix for you. Having worked in tech support as a DBA, I'm all too familiar with that awful feeling when the "easy" upgrade goes awry.

Blaine

Thanks for noticing the issue, we have a ticket open regarding the Calendar now.

Nice to have the View Latest options working again in Firefox!

It looks like the URL links in previously posted messages have been converted from links like this to non-links like

[url="https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&vpsrc=6&ll=42.377537,-70.97301&spn=0.013854,0.022209&z=16"]Google maps intersection 145 and Shirley St.[/url]

-Bill

Done.

Heading out to paddle but will check emails and the board remotely...

Wow, you really jumped on that fast, thanks. Not to be a pain in the butt or to be too fussy, but if at least for now we could tweak the top bar that used to be black and change it to the same color of the bar that says "8 replies to this topic" located under the "Reply to this topic" button it would be a better choice of color not clashing with the other teals as "pinkpaddler" mentioned.

Done.

Heading out to paddle but will check emails and the board remotely...

You're going to be monitoring the message board from your kayak?!! There's got to be some kind of award for that.

Awesome, gentlemen! No indexing errors either! Can't wait to see if there is an emotioncon of a red-head paddling a white on white kayak w/ gray trim...

And... why "no pink"? Surely, there is always room for pink!

Little tiny stuff: the favicon (the little icon you see next to the URL and in your bookmark panel or title bar) has changed from the nice NSPN kayaker to a "V". Also, "view new content" used to give you all the new content, and just mark the ones you haven't read. Now it removes the ones you have already read. I find the old way more useful in case I want to go back or didn't read the whole thing and don't remember what forum it was in. But many thanks for doing all this technical stuff!

-Lisa

Thanks always and sincerely to the folks who maintain and upgrade the message board and web site -- your extensive volunteer work is much appreciated!

That said, I do have one question about the new message board -- what happened to spell-checking? It looks like my browser's built-in spell checking is disabled on message text, and there is no replacement function on the toolbar. Without that, you're going to see a lot of msispeelede words from me -- not that I can't spell, but my fingers do not always accurately express what my mind is thinking!

Thnaks --Dvaid

I was able to add photos to my posts on the old browser. Now I don't know how! Help please.

If you use the reply you can the full editor, (You will see a button, more reply options or more options. When your in the full editor, at the bottom left you will see an option for "Attach Files" after that you can type the file name or hit browse. Upload the file then click "Add to Post".

Uploads of pictues work just fine. The spell check is something that I don't know about yet...

Thanks always and sincerely to the folks who maintain and upgrade the message board and web site -- your extensive volunteer work is much appreciated!

That said, I do have one question about the new message board -- what happened to spell-checking? It looks like my browser's built-in spell checking is disabled on message text, and there is no replacement function on the toolbar. Without that, you're going to see a lot of msispeelede words from me -- not that I can't spell, but my fingers do not always accurately express what my mind is thinking!

Thnaks --Dvaid

In firefox you need to right click on your Languages and set it to English/United States and it should start working properly.

-Jason

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-37042-spell-check-and-firefox-11-again/

In firefox you need to right click on your Languages and set it to English/United States and it should start working properly.

-Jason

http://community.inv...refox-11-again/

Hi, Jason -- I do have Firefox, but browser spell-check is completely disabled -- not even a squiggly red line under misspelled words. I see those squiggly red lines when composing messages in facebook and other places, but not on this forum. Without that squiggly red line, I cannot even see the "Languages" option on right-click. I have verified this difficulty on two different systems, both using FF, but not other browsers. And I have never had to configure things the way you suggest.

Thansk -- Davdi