best source for noaa charts

prudenceb

I've been on line to get NOAA chart 13301 for Muscongas Bay in Maine. When I've gone to web site of places that sell them (and when I've called) some, I haven't been able to clarify whether the charts of the waterproof/resistant ones that we use (not laminated). Can anyone advise me the best web site for purchasing NOAA charts?

pru

I haven't been able to clarify whether the charts of the waterproof/resistant ones that we use (not laminated). Can anyone advise me the best web site for purchasing NOAA charts?

Pru:

I'm not sure this is responsive, but....the NOAA charts are big, not waterproof/resistant, and printed on heavy paper so folding is difficult. That said, I prefer working from NOAA charts. Since there is no copyright on federal publications, I have 11X17 color copies made of the portions of the NOAA chart of interest, then I mark as needed with scale, compass rose, etc., and finally have pairs laminated so they are waterproof. Thus prepared they slide easily under bungies and you can write on them to your heart's content with a china pencil or Sharpie. The problem with this is a decent scale for kayaking (40K) means you do not get a good overall view on any one sheet. So I often take along one of the waterproof maps of the area for that purpose. I have tried various map case rigs, but they do not work for me. Its a personal thing.

At one time Maptech made a great folding waterproof map for Muscongus Bay, but no longer. I don't believe Waterproof Charts, Inc. has a good chart for Muscongus Bay either although 101 can be used for Casco all the way to Muscongus. So the NOAA chart you mentioned is the best chart for Muscongus that I know about, but there is alot I don't know about.

Most places like West marine and Hamilton sell all three brands of charts. I tend to stop at DeLorme's in Yarmouth, ME just off of 295 at Exit 17 for stuff like charts as they usually have everything in stock. Just happens to be a good stopping point for me when heading up.

Another option is to use chart software to view NOAA charts and plan trips. Very handy for dreaming when the snow flies.

http://rosepointnav.com/CoastalExplorerExpress/default.htm

Are folks getting a Fall trip together? Never been there then, but I think it would a wonderful place when the leaves turn.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Thank you for the info regarding how you work with a laminated chart. I need to try that. Yes, Pru and I are planning to explore Muscongus Bay. It has been on my wish list.

Pru, I sent to your e-mail address the info you seek. I tend to like Landfall Navigation for obtaining NOAA charts due to their great customer service in locating some hard to find charts, such as the one for Muscongus Bay.

Warren

Yes, Pru and I are planning to explore Muscongus Bay. It has been on my wish list.

Warren:

I think it was you that was looking for info on Eagles and Muscongus Bay. I could not find the thread.

Anyway, here is a map of Muscongus on which the various locations used by nesting pairs is noted.

Ed Lawson

post-100346-0-83034600-1316720451_thumb.

I have used charts that I've cut and laminated, with a hole punched in one corner to tie it to the deck lines, and that is Mark's preferred way to handle it. Myself, I like to use a chart case. My old one sorta sucked but I just got a new one, the NRS HydroLock Mapcessory Map Case that is much much nicer, and quite cheap: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2975&pdeptid=1766 . For locations in the USA, I will generally look first for NOAA BookletCharts which are currently free for downloading: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html . I have also ordered from Boxell's Chandlery (the name alone is worth patronizing them) and have gotten great service: http://www.cgedwards.com/Boxells/Chandlery.html and sometimes I've ordered directly from NOAA.

Many options! (and none of them a source of waterproof charts - sorry!)

kate

Warren:

I think it was you that was looking for info on Eagles and Muscongus Bay. I could not find the thread.

Anyway, here is a map of Muscongus on which the various locations used by nesting pairs is noted.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Wow! That is excellent! Muscongus Bay here I come......

Thank you!!

Warren

You'll want #102 for Muscongus if I recall (check to be sure).

Phil is correct. That is the one. I was wrong about #101, scale too big. Make sure it is #102 and not #102E although the #102E is great for around Boothbay.

Ed Lawson

At one time Maptech made a great folding waterproof map for Muscongus Bay, but no longer. I don't believe Waterproof Charts, Inc. has a good chart for Muscongus Bay either although 101 can be used for Casco all the way to Muscongus. So the NOAA chart you mentioned is the best chart for Muscongus that I know about, but there is alot I don't know about.

Most places like West marine and Hamilton sell all three brands of charts. I tend to stop at DeLorme's in Yarmouth, ME just off of 295 at Exit 17 for stuff like charts as they usually have everything in stock. Just happens to be a good stopping point for me when heading up.

Ed,

Last time I was at the Delorme store they had a big stack of the old Muscongus Maptech charts. Since I already have two I didn't purchase another but I was tempted to while they still exist.

-Jason

thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions! Now I feel confident I will have a navigational aid when I get to Muscongas Bay.

pru

if you launch from the dock in medomak and head down to the sw corner of oars there is a half sunk derelict hull between oars and the mainland...pretty neat.

have a blast.

there is a half sunk derelict hull between oars and the mainland...pretty neat.

Rick has pointed out one of the sights not to miss if you go to Muscongus Bay.

Hard to imagine the hulk is a national treasure and of historic importance.

Best seen at low tide to get a sense of her size. She is going fast and less remains each year.

She is the Cressey and she is the only remaining example of the big 4 and 5 mast schooners built in Maine.

It is sad that there were so many and some could have been saved, but all gone.

http://www.hazegray.org/features/schooners/

Ed Lawson

Ed,

It sounds like you enjoy visiting Muscongus Bay. Have you ever camped in Muscongus and if so where did you stay? In the interest of honoring our MITA protocols regarding the discussion of private MITA islands, you could e-mail me at: miwp at wdhospital dot com.

Warren

Ed,

It sounds like you enjoy visiting Muscongus Bay. Have you ever camped in Muscongus and if so where did you stay? In the interest of honoring our MITA protocols regarding the discussion of private MITA islands, you could e-mail me at: miwp at wdhospital dot com.

Warren

Or even better share the islands based on the MITA book. IE Camp on ISLAND (MITA 2011 PG x).

Ed,

Last time I was at the Delorme store they had a big stack of the old Muscongus Maptech charts. Since I already have two I didn't purchase another but I was tempted to while they still exist.

-Jason

I called - alas they are all gone.

Also for those (Phil, Ed?) who say the NOAA Muscongas map is 102, I looked that up and it's for Penobscot Bay.

Or even better share the islands based on the MITA book. IE Camp on ISLAND (MITA 2011 PG x).

Jason,

Great idea! I am seriously considering MITA 2011 guide book page 136. I hear it is a real crowd pleaser without the crowd this time of year.

Warren

I called - alas they are all gone.

Also for those (Phil, Ed?) who say the NOAA Muscongas map is 102, I looked that up and it's for Penobscot Bay.

Hi Pru- IIRC waterproof chart #102 has NOAA Chart 13301 (muscongus) on one side and 13293 (entrance to sheepscott, darmiscove and kennebeck rivers) on the other. I do see the source of confusion as NOAA 13302 is Penobscot Bay.

Phil

Just to add a little to what Phil has said.

To clarify, NOAA charts are not waterproof and are big, as in really big, since designed for use on a chart table. They are the gold standard and are available online. When we mentioned waterproof charts we were talking about charts made by a company called Waterproof Charts, Inc. Here is the info on their chart #102.

http://www.waterproofcharts.com/cape-small-bath-to-boothbay-chart-details.htm

Sorry for confusion.

Also, I realize I should have pointed out that the software from Rose Point Navigation that you can download for free works forever, except some features irrelevant for use by kayakers, even though they call it a trial version. It make planning easy and will give you magnetic bearings and travel times for any course you plot. It is impressive.

Ed lawson

Hi Pru- IIRC waterproof chart #102 has NOAA Chart 13301 (muscongus) on one side and 13293 (entrance to sheepscott, darmiscove and kennebeck rivers) on the other. I do see the source of confusion as NOAA 13302 is Penobscot Bay.

Phil

Ah! Now I see. I shall order from them.

It's so confusing when Maptech just leaves a part of the Maine coast blank!

pru

I am seriously considering MITA 2011 guide book page 136.

What appeals to one for a campsite might not appeal to another so I think it better to say little so you can have the adventure of discovering what is best for you. That said I think there are some neat places to visit and I would pick campsites that would make it possible to visit/explore the following without needing long days:

Franklin Light- this time of year you can land and wander.

Port Clyde - this is not wilderness and part of experience is visiting neat places. Having breakfast or lunch at the General store is one such place.

Benner Island- cannot land

Cressey as mentioned by Rick S.

Marshall Light

Pleasant Point gut- just a neat little detour

The island chain from Caldwell to Allen as well the chain from Morse to Harbor.

For specific suggestions, you can always call MITA. They are very helpful and happy to provide suggestions.

Ed Lawson