how to clean hydration bladder

prudenceb

OK, so now I have a nice kokotat hydration bladder holder (thanks, Rick!) that I'm using with an NRS bladder. Sure works better than a water bottle bungied to the deck... Except for its propensity for providing a nice growth environment for... things other than water.

I've looked on-line for cleaning advice, but would be interested in what your experience has been. Bleach? Baking soda? Detergent? All of the above?

pru

OK, so now I have a nice kokotat hydration bladder holder (thanks, Rick!) that I'm using with an NRS bladder. Sure works better than a water bottle bungied to the deck... Except for its propensity for providing a nice growth environment for... things other than water.

I've looked on-line for cleaning advice, but would be interested in what your experience has been. Bleach? Baking soda? Detergent? All of the above?

pru

Best thing is to only use it for water, less things grow then. When not using it, let it air dry and to clean the hose, after scrubbing the hose, spin it dry by holding one end and spinning and then the other. That should get most of the water out and then you can air dry it.

Camelback makes nice products to scrub the tube with - like a giant pixie stick scrub brush on a long flexible wire and plastic bit to prop open the bag so that it can dry quicker. All that works well.

It it does get a bit icky, I will add a efferdent tablet for denture cleaning to the bag and get it in the hose. Let it sit and then squeeze out the water through the hose. If it really needs MORE cleaning than that, a mild bleach solution will do the trick - 1 tablespoon to a full bag of water and again squeezed through the hose.

I used to keep the bag and water frozen and ready to go to prevent things growing in it. I did find that although that worked, if you dropped the bag, it makes holes in the bag.

I use reservoir systems for hiking, biking, and sometimes kayaking. I find the best thing is to keep them dry - empty out after using then find a way to get the inside dry. The expansion hanger systems are OK but you really need airflow so a Zero Goo can take care of that. Noisy like a hair dryer but I put it in a closed room when in use. As far as cleaning I use economical options like Nashbar Aqua Cleanse as it is much cheaper than the Camelbak stuff. Or, simply use mint Listerine knockoff store brand mouthwash. It has antimicrobial properties (I'm not sure how well it works against mold but bleach will kill anything) and since it is made for use in your mouth if there's a taste left over I'd rather have mint than bleach. The main thing is to keep them dry so nothing can grow in the first place. The tubes usually get funky regardless.

pru

i just used lotsa baking soda, lemon juice and water. once that's all been through i put some rice in there for the abrasiveness and rinse the hell out of things.

....when i clean it of course and that's only about once or twice a season, tops.

Would putting the bladder and tube in a microwave kill things off and help drive moisture out? No I have not tried it. I've been hanging mine on a clothes line up side down letting water drain and sunlight get at it and so far so good.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will get to work on cleaning post haste! (But am encouraged by Rick's words that indicate that despite the science experiment that might end up growing in the bladder, survival is still possible with only several times a season cleaning!)

pru

Would putting the bladder and tube in a microwave kill things off and help drive moisture out? No I have not tried it. I've been hanging mine on a clothes line up side down letting water drain and sunlight get at it and so far so good.

Well ....... I tested out the MicroWave idea and I got a blob of melted plastic. I did leave it in for too long and I'm sure at a too high of a setting as well, so it might work in a more highly structured control setting, but I am no longer the one to confer with on this one.

I used to do the microwave thing for about 4 months... until I couldn't anymore because I melted it. I always wondered if microwaving changed the structure or something and the original 20 seconds did "more" to it after 4 months of microwaving.

Would have told you BEFORE you experimented but I was away.

As for Rick's washing with rice, not a very good idea as it is a starch and likely to leave a coating to feed the stuff that we don't want to grow.

I think routine maintenance is better than aggressive treatment after the growth occurs.

Suz

I used to do the microwave thing for about 4 months... until I couldn't anymore because I melted it. I always wondered if microwaving changed the structure or something and the original 20 seconds did "more" to it after 4 months of microwaving.

Would have told you BEFORE you experimented but I was away.

As for Rick's washing with rice, not a very good idea as it is a starch and likely to leave a coating to feed the stuff that we don't want to grow.

I think routine maintenance is better than aggressive treatment after the growth occurs.

Suz

...see what you're saying about the rice but since i've never had a problem with doing that and then rinsing with water, soap and lemon juice i'll stick with it anyways.

After reading this thread, I'm now mortified by my slovenly approach. I think Gail might have cleaned mine once or twice in the past three or four years when she became revolted by its condition. I just leave whatever water is in there at the end of a paddle, toss it in the freezer when I get home, and thaw it a little to add water as needed before going off to paddle.

Ed Lawson

In the preventive department, I used to always dump and immediately refill the bladder with city tap water after every use, then immediately stick the bladder in the fridge. Thus I always had cool water immediately available, and very very little growth in the bladder or tube.

Now, like most, I just try to drain and air out my bladder. That does not work nearly as well as the old system. However, now I'm on well water, and now I share the fridge with my wife. So my old system is no longer practical for me.

-Bill

I rinse mine out with water, empty it, and then crumple up a paper towel and insert it into the bladder. Close the bladder and then inflate by blowing into the mouthpiece. The paper towel absorbs any moisture within a day or two. Been using this to clean/dry them for 20 yrs or so.

Prudence, we store ours in the freezer when not using to prevent any bacteria growth and that seems to have done the trick

Me too. Have one that is 2-1/2 years old, never had any problem, even though I occasionally put sugary drinks in there. I always clean it after use, then just freeze it empty. Be careful opening - if it had some water in before freezing and the lid froze shut let it thaw rather than forcing it.

Me too. Have one that is 2-1/2 years old, never had any problem, even though I occasionally put sugary drinks in there. I always clean it after use, then just freeze it empty. Be careful opening - if it had some water in before freezing and the lid froze shut let it thaw rather than forcing it.

Does anybody have a good source for new 1.5-2 liter bladders that fit in to the kokatat PFD hydtration pockets? I can't seem to keep mine even two years as the develop pin holes. I just store them empty and haven't attempted to freeze one yet.

Thanks -Jason

Does anybody have a good source for new 1.5-2 liter bladders that fit in to the kokatat PFD hydtration pockets? I can't seem to keep mine even two years as the develop pin holes. I just store them empty and haven't attempted to freeze one yet.

Thanks -Jason

I don't - but just use NRS bladder and don't fill it all the way so it fits in just fine and works great (and now is less yucky thanks to all the good suggestions!). pru

Jason, try Hiltons Tent City...hiltonstentcity.com

I took a look and they seem to only have the Nalgene ones, the are very tall and narrow and don't fit well into the PFD hydration pocket

-Jason