Solstice Paddle Level 3 - June 25th, 10am

jason

(Just about a direct quote from Galen's posting last year).

We will be meeting at Riverhead Beach Marblehead, Saturday June 25th at 10.00AM sharp to explore Salem Sound. After exiting Marblehead harbor, we will be looking for interesting spots on the various islands and reefs that dot the sound. We will likely lunch on Little Misery (but no guarantees) , and then return in time for the PPPO where will regale anyone dumb enough to listen with tales of sea monsters and daring do!

Please be ready for the beach briefing on at 10AM, dressed appropriately for an open water trip. If you plan on getting up close and personal with rocks, please bring a helmet. Total distance covered will likely be in the 10-14nm range with play along the way.

This year we will likely split into separate pods of no more that 8 paddlers/pod if numbers grow to those in years past.

Look forward to seeing you then.

Hi Jason.

Probably will join you.

Note heading says 6/19, so some folks might think this trip has passed?

Perhaps best to repost?

Ern

Hi Jason.

Probably will join you.

Note heading says 6/19, so some folks might think this trip has passed?

Perhaps best to repost?

Ern

Fixed. I guess I quoted Galen's post from last year more than I should have.

Hope to be there, too (if I can drag myself and gear together after two days with John Carmody in surf class) - pru

Have fun with John! I hope that you have some great surf.

[/quote

Just back, exhausted, aching, fairly exhilarated. And John mentioned you(I am assuming you are "Big Jason") a number of times, including as an inspiration for how to get out of the boat once you've reached shore on a surf beach: just spill out to the side! Worked like a charm for me - as I have no knees to help me stand up (and why isn't there an emoticon for that!)

pru

Just back, exhausted, aching, fairly exhilarated. And John mentioned you(I am assuming you are "Big Jason") a number of times, including as an inspiration for how to get out of the boat once you've reached shore on a surf beach: just spill out to the side! Worked like a charm for me - as I have no knees to help me stand up (and why isn't there an emoticon for that!)

pru

I am glad you had fun, that post surf aching is just a way reminder of the fun you had. I didn't know that I had a nickname with John, but that would be me. As I don't fit out the keyhole and if things are big and time is tight it's just faster/easier to roll out of the boat on the beach on the ocean side and then scramble out of the way.

As for the day Sat we will have to keep the weather in mind:

Saturday: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming ESE 5 to 8 kt in the afternoon. A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. Patchy fog before 11am. Seas around 2 ft.

Tyson and I are interested in the L3 trip, though we are keeping an eye on the weather.

I'm mostly concerned about the water being too flat or no one else showing up after we busted our butts trying to get together a dish for the PPO and driving all the way down there. ...I suppose that rain would dampen the PPO, but its fine for paddling (sans lightning I suppose).

Hi, Jason,

Looks as though it is going to be an interesting day so Dave and I would like to join you. See you on the beach.

deb duncanson

I look forward to seeing you, it's been to long.

-Jason

Tyson-

There's covered shelter at the Marblehead put-in. Wouldn't do well in a real blow, but fine for a shower.

Phil

Phil, as usual, is right . Theres a long pavilion/like shelter on the beach under which are picnic tables for our post paddle pot luck .

I'll be there , rain or shine. Bringing taboulleh, baba ghanoush, pita bread, french bread,

(with which I will mop up Rob';s Humboldt Fog) and single malt.

As for the day Sat we will have to keep the weather in mind:

Saturday: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming ESE 5 to 8 kt in the afternoon. A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. Patchy fog before 11am. Seas around 2 ft.

Darn! Thunderclaps and heavy rain accompanied my buzzing alarm clock at 8AM, so I decided to snore more. Now to convince Ellen that it really IS a beach day so she'll cook up something for the PPPO, but chances seem slim...have fun.

Ern