kayaking tragedy - anglesey 2010

Nigel Dennis wrote an analysis of a 2010 club paddle off of Holyhead Island where one club participant died. Given his local knowledge, experience as a kayaker and as one of the piloting crew on the Holyhead lifeboat, the analysis seems to be fair.

His write up appears in the latest issue of Ocean Paddler magazine.

The club paddle went really wrong prior to even launching and was not salvaged on the water; the condition where they were paddling between Holyhead Island and the Isle of Anglesey around the Rhoscolyn Beacon area were far beyond the experience, skills and know-how of the participants. They did not have sufficient skills or proper gear.

It is an excellent analysis and grim example of what NOT TO DO on a club paddle.

FWIW, I believe Greg Paquin at Kayak Waveology has some copies for sale.

Rick,

Ernie shared his copy with the Board a few weeks ago. I think this article is absolutely relevant to CAM and our activities on the water. The mistakes were astounding. Safety equipment (presumably more tow lines, radios?) left in cars? "General Purpose" kayaks (does he mean recreation?) in those conditions? A single leader torn between the raft and a solitary separating paddler (Dennis suggests at least two qualified leaders on a trip like this). Presumably no radio or attempts at radio contact to shore. They assumed that the separated paddler had simply landed elsewhere - so delayed in the appropriate communication to the authorities (even after the raft had landed). It looks like a full scale rescue attempt was delayed by three hours. Dennis assumes that the casualty was lost because of a broken skeg, and points out that equipment should be checked before the trip. I guess with a functional skeg she would not have separated, but as conditions worsen separation is very possible unless explicit measures are taken to avoid it. Dennis' concluding remark is that the cascade of errors started with the choice of a paddling location inappropriate for the skill level of the group (presumably the weakest paddler). This is a very sobering and depressing article - especially the possibility that the woman may have been rescued if they had contacted authorities with the appropriate degree of concern immediately upon landing. Thanks for mentioning this article. All kayakers should read it.

Bob

PS. Dennis suggests tethering oneself to the kayak if conditions worsen and you fear being tossed. This will increase the chances for being seen by rescuers.

Nigel Dennis wrote an analysis of a 2010 club paddle off of Holyhead Island where one club participant died. Given his local knowledge, experience as a kayaker and as one of the piloting crew on the Holyhead lifeboat, the analysis seems to be fair.

His write up appears in the latest issue of Ocean Paddler magazine.

The club paddle went really wrong prior to even launching and was not salvaged on the water; the condition where they were paddling between Holyhead Island and the Isle of Anglesey around the Rhoscolyn Beacon area were far beyond the experience, skills and know-how of the participants. They did not have sufficient skills or proper gear.

It is an excellent analysis and grim example of what NOT TO DO on a club paddle.

FWIW, I believe Greg Paquin at Kayak Waveology has some copies for sale.

Ocean Paddler is a great magazine. You can get an online subscription for not too much money. Here's the BBC story on the coroners inquest ...

BBC

Barry.

The mistakes were astounding. .... the cascade of errors started with the choice of a paddling location

I agree it is a sobering read and makes one wonder.

Mistakes are often astounding in retrospect, but not apparent when made. Accident reports indicate many disasters start with simple often minor mistakes which get compounded by bad luck or more small mistakes. The result is a cascade that culminates in a disaster. Consider the possibility there might be a fine line between an exciting trip with a few issues and a disaster. Rob, reflect on what might have been last year on that little jaunt offshore.

I overheard a conversation at the fishermen's dock on Beal I. on a blustery day when a fisherman was asked why he was in so early. His reply was, "You need to know when to come in or you won't." All the safety gear and training may not help much if you don't follow that simple maxim. Of course it is not that simple since it presumes solid seamanship/judgement. I suspect that is why Nigel Dennis said it all started with the decision to launch.

In Lull's book he describes four layers of defense against having a bad day. Each time you go down a layer you are more reliant upon equipment and others to save you and that in turn means greater odds of having a really bad day. Personally I prefer to think of safety gear, etc. as just mechanisms for hopefully making a problem less serious as opposed to a what makes us safe.

None of this meant in any way to suggest practice, training, and good gear is anything less than necessary. Nor that those who avail themselves of the CAM days will not be far better paddlers for it and valuable resources on future paddles.

Ed Lawson

heres the issue:

[http://oceanpaddlerm...Issues/OP25-3D/

I disagree with the perspective that some change in the groups equipment (broken skegs, tethers to boats etc) or the way they did this or that on the water was any part of the problem . The problem was that they decided to do the trip in the first place. End of story. The decision to launch so overclouds all the other details that discussing anything else is essentially meaningless and possibly dangerous in that it could lead some to believe that if they had had done this or that or were equipped with this or that , once underway, it would have been a fundamentally safe trip.

Even Nigel Dennis's report enumerates the mistakes in procedure and outfitting the group made

once underway, which might be a mistake in that it might dilute the issue of the group electing to launch in the first place.

as Rick said:

The club paddle went really wrong prior to even launching and was not salvaged on the water;

as Ed said:

In Lull's book he describes four layers of defense against having a bad day. Each time you go down a layer you are more reliant upon equipment and others to save you and that in turn means greater odds of having a really bad day. Personally I prefer to think of safety gear, etc. as just mechanisms for hopefully making a problem less serious as opposed to a what makes us safe.

I would tend to agree with Peter B...there are times you just shouldn't go out.

this should link to a story many are familiar with

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=53c43634-7166-42a1-b4aa-cdf5948c4fcd&k=92397

There is a much speculated theory that the greater ones ability the more they are going to "push the envelope"

Resulting with the same end result, in these cases unfortunately tragic results.

In a somewhat related study, which I saw referenced in a hiking forum...the "Fear" gene.

It was along the lines of... as a species why are some of us timid and why some of us are fearless to the point of death? Somewhat thought provoking but probably to much of a drift to get into now.

Either way it always saddens to read of people drowning doing a sport we love so much.

...i didn't know how to link to the story without all the peripheral stuff...

I just finished an interesting book on heuristics: On Second Thought by Wray Herbert. It's a fascinating read on the human mind!

At the beginning he discusses studies done of avalanche victims and several heuristics that play a role in the victims' decision making, including the 'familiarity' heuristic. The summary is that the avalanche victims tended to be experienced skiers/hikers in familiar terrain.

Basically, the brain does not make decisions as actively and as well in a familiar environment as it does in an unfamiliar environment. There are also other heuristics in play that guide the decision to even start the trip, even when it might not be advisable or cause a group/person to continue when they should turn back.

Exerpt from this section of the book here: My link

It's important for everyone, including paddlers, to be aware of the way our minds work to prevent the 'shortcut' decision making that can make for a bad day.

There is a much speculated theory that the greater ones ability the more they are going to "push the envelope"

Resulting with the same end result, in these cases unfortunately tragic results.

I......

Either way it always saddens to read of people drowning doing a sport we love so much.

In backcountry skiing, avalanches can be a real concern in much of the world (though only in a few spots in NE). Statistics of avalanche entrapment, burial and death are well kept and well analyzed. A consistent theme is that those with moderate to high amounts of training about traveling/skiing in avalanche terrain are MOST likely to be the ones caught by avalanches. A common issue is that folks are beguiled by the conditions (fresh powder in the skiers case) to a level where they ignore the warnings that they should stay home.

Phil

Interesting book. The 'familiarity heuristic' is often at-play in paddling. We are in areas that are very familiar, with paddlers that we have safely paddled with many times. It is easy to get lulled into an acceptance of the situation by either circumstance. The article mentions the 'consistency heuristic', the tendency to stick to a plan despite looming dangers. If I recall correctly, the tragic paddle in Anglesey started with a declaration that it was too dangerous to proceed, so the trip was canceled. However, they had this plan, people had traveled to the put-in, so it was declared to be a 'non-club' trip. The 'consistency heuristic' may have been part of the tragic decision to launch.

Thanks for posting the link.

Bob

Interesting book.

Bob

Indeed. I find it VERY interesting that the "acceptance (mimicry) heuristic" comes to control group behavior when pods exceed 6 members. Hmmm...!

And the notion of "cognitive scaffolding" peaks my curiosity, but I guess I'd have to buy the book!

Ern

From your clip:

Psychologists think this "scarcity heuristic" derives from our fundamental need for personal freedom. We have a visceral reaction to any restriction on our prerogatives as individuals, and one way this manifests itself is in distorted notions about scarcity and value.

I will personally attest to this. My wife and two daughters have been dragging me through American Idol night after night after night, while I do the cooking and the dishes. I'm about ready to paddle through a waterspout spinning over a rock garden at this point!

we were surfing sugar reef a year or so back and there was a hurricane that had blew up some BIG honkin' water. far enough away that we didn't get the wind but we got big momma swells rolling through. i remember looking off towards fishers island and thinking i had never seen those big hills on it before...and why is there snow on them....ohmygod, those are waves.

we knew what was going on and what we were likely to find...we'd monitored the forecasts and buoys for days.

we're out there and one fella (who is as fine a big water paddler as any) says to me "hey, keep an eye on me, i feel like i'm getting pushed around out here" to which my reply is "really? do you think it's the HURRICANE? we're all getting pushed around out here". there was this disconnect between his experience of the last hundred times at this place and right now.

after we sorted that out, we all had an epic day surfing those giant swells and just sitting, riding those big green faces at the front of the reef.

just cause you've been to A place a thousand times doesn't make it the SAME place a thousand times.

Interesting book.

Bob

Indeed. I find it VERY interesting that the "acceptance (mimicry) heuristic" comes to control group behavior when pods exceed 6 members. Hmmm...!

And the notion of "cognitive scaffolding" peaks my curiosity, but I guess I'd have to buy the book!

Ern

I'd be happy to loan it to you - are you going to the June 5 CAM session? Start a personal conversation if you'd like to borrow it.

The topic of mental shortcuts (heuristics) and how over relying on them can lead to trouble in quick changing environments is very useful indeed. What is also useful is understanding a little about the cultural milieu we humans find ourselves in. You might even call these "manners and mores", a bit old fashioned but still apt. While staying safe depends on disclosure and honesty, recognizing limitations and making corrections, being direct and speaking up even if its a minority opinion or risks perturbing the feelings of others; much of this in group settings takes a back seat and physical risks can thereby elevate. The simple act of being nice and not wishing to disappoint a fellow paddler or friend can often mask better judgment and assessment. Beach briefings can ameliorate these cultural biases but only if we work at it. Post beach briefings are an even better method but can be easily thwarted by the "niceness" syndrome. Perhaps the trip report, warts and all, is one solution but too many see this as an exercise in finger pointing and negativity. We need to be aware of how our need for civility, comity and the respect for others can be a double edged sword.

The topic of mental shortcuts (heuristics) and how over relying on them can lead to trouble in quick changing environments is very useful indeed. What is also useful is understanding a little about the cultural milieu we humans find ourselves in. You might even call these "manners and mores", a bit old fashioned but still apt. While staying safe depends on disclosure and honesty, recognizing limitations and making corrections, being direct and speaking up even if its a minority opinion or risks perturbing the feelings of others; much of this in group settings takes a back seat and physical risks can thereby elevate. The simple act of being nice and not wishing to disappoint a fellow paddler or friend can often mask better judgment and assessment. Beach briefings can ameliorate these cultural biases but only if we work at it. Post beach briefings are an even better method but can be easily thwarted by the "niceness" syndrome. Perhaps the trip report, warts and all, is one solution but too many see this as an exercise in finger pointing and negativity. We need to be aware of how our need for civility, comity and the respect for others can be a double edged sword.

Well said, my friend.

Ern

This thread reminded me of a haunting book I read, The Circus Fire by Stuart O'Nan, about the terrible fire at the Ringling Brothers circus in Hartford Conn. in 1944, where 167 people died, the worst human disaster in Connecticut history.

The book described the crowd's slow reaction to the fire when it first broke out, a phenomenon which is apparently common in fires.

"Psychologists who have studied disasters talk about the difficulty of breaking out of patterned behavior and responding to a new situation. One natural reaction in a fire is to flee, yet often people will look right at the fire and not register the information, simply because their minds are on some other task or caught up with some other expectation.

One surveillance videotape from England shows a small fire near the entrance to a corner shop; while the flames jump from a foot high and then up to the ceiling, customers calmly walk in, select their merchandise and stand in line by the register, some even pointedly glancing over at the fire yet doing nothing. Only after two customers notice they’ve both marked the blaze-agreeing by a nod that it really does exist, do they alert the clerk. Though no one was hurt, the shop burned to the ground."

Not sure exactly how this relates; perhaps just that we don't always react to situations the way that we expect we would.