• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Synoptic charts - check

Good books - check - I'll also bring my own writeup

Nowcasting - check

There are some slightly freakish weather systems that one doesn't encounter all that often - the squall line/gust front/bow echo - it has a different lead up than a thunderstorm, but might be worth devoting a bit of time to, since they happen so fast and are so dangerous.

the squall line/gust front/bow echo - it has a different lead up than a thunderstorm, but might be worth devoting a bit of time to, since they happen so fast and are so dangerous.

Please do. While not a squall line as such, it was a nice sunny day with a light breeze less than 30 minutes before this picture was taken.

Ed Lawson

post-100346-0-72618200-1294677807_thumb.

If I see anything like this I'm thinking 'shark attack' and getting as close to the shore as possible.

Please do. While not a squall line as such, it was a nice sunny day with a light breeze less than 30 minutes before this picture was taken.

Ed Lawson

Here are three that I recommend - unfortunately they're all pretty thin.

Weather Forecasting by Michael Hodges, Globe Pequot Press 2nd ed. (1999)

The Weather Wizard's Cloud Book by Louis D. Rubin Sr. and Jim Duncan Algonquin Books (1989)

Marine Weather Forecasting, by Frank Brumbaugh, Bristol Fashion Publications, (2000)

They all have their plusses and minuses, and present a lot of similar information. I found the Weather Wizard's Cloud Book to be the best of the three.

One of the exercises I did with my students this year was to ask them to track their ability to predict weather against a concept called "persistence".

Persistence is the idea that tomorrow's weather is like today's. Now, it is said that this is correct 80% of the time, but that 80% refers to a very specific and obscure kind of measurement. We cooked up a figure of merit: what fraction of tomorrow will it rain? We tested persistence against our ability to predict the weather using this figure of merit. This forced the students to make observations, commit to a forecast and then track it over the course of a week. Invariably they improved as the week wore on, and it's an easy thing to do at home. Unless you force yourself to make a prediction and then observe the following day, you can't really gain the skill. Like most skills, it takes practice.

It also varies depending on the season - e.g. thunderstorms can crop up on random hot days in the summer, but clearly it's not very likely in the winter.

Here are two bonafide squall line photos. The leading edge of these produce very strong downdrafts, part of a gust front. It turned calm waters into a churning mess. The photo shot inside the squall line toward the gust front allows you to see some of the churning of the surface of the water in the distance and then the ensuing rain and lightning.

The conditions preceding this were interesting - I also got some shots of the cloud sequence. There were four extremely hot and humid days, where I was wondering why there were no thunderstorms produced. The air was very calm. I was walking on the beach and my wife, who is now wholly acquainted with my weather obsession, pointed to the sky and said "oh look, mackerel scales, we're going to have some rain." The next hour or so showed a very rapid progression of the clouds associated with a warm front of an approaching hurricane. Then, in the distance you could see many flashes of lightning associated with this continuous band of smooth clouds. When the gust front hit, it really churned up the water and there were lightning strikes all over the place, followed by extremely heavy rain.

post-100145-0-99420500-1294756253_thumb.

post-100145-0-34566700-1294756270_thumb.

John: Very regretfully, I am working and cannot attend, however, I have a question; some time ago, I believe it was you that provided a link to a very good navigation instructional website for dead reckoning, etc. I had downloaded it to my computer but recently it crashed and I lost all data. Could you provide this link again? I think there are many new members now that would also appreciate this info.

Thanks,

Bill

I will be attending if its not too late to sign up :-)

Julie,

No need to sign up.....just show up. Since the workshop will be spanning the middle of the day we're planning a pot luck lunch, if you'd care to bring something to share.

WAVES, TIDES, CURRENTS Workshop

by John Huth

January 29th from 10:00 am-2:00 pm

VISITOR CENTER

6 Plum Island Turnpike, Newburyport, MA

John's description of this workshop:

"Waves, tides and currents are always a factor in sea kayaking, yet they seem to catch people by surprise. In this workshop, we'll explore some of the science behind the generation of waves, tides and coastal currents. We'll see how to use this understanding to plan trips and deal with "conditions". I'll discuss how mariners in the 16th century predicted tides before the development of detailed tables, so that you can figure tides without recourse to tables. In addition to this, I'll touch on dealing with rapidly developing weather conditions that may not be caught by NOAA radio and have some discussion of the stability of hulls, factors determining hull speed, and the fluid dynamics of different paddle strokes."

This workshop is for "PAID MEMBERS ONLY"

RSVP's would be appreciated on this link.

I'm a definite maybe.

Karen

by John Huth

VISITOR CENTER

John's description of this workshop:

"Waves, tides and currents are always a factor in sea kayaking, yet they seem to catch people by surprise. In this workshop, we'll explore some of the science behind the generation of waves, tides and coastal currents. We'll see how to use this understanding to plan trips and deal with "conditions". I'll discuss how mariners in the 16th century predicted tides before the development of detailed tables, so that you can figure tides without recourse to tables. In addition to this, I'll touch on dealing with rapidly developing weather conditions that may not be caught by NOAA radio and have some discussion of the stability of hulls, factors determining hull speed, and the fluid dynamics of different paddle strokes."

This workshop is for "PAID MEMBERS ONLY"

by John Huth

VISITOR CENTER

I'm bound to join you unless there are small craft advisories. :th_bf-hurrismileypalm:

Regarding the potluck. I'm not familiar with the visitor center. Does it have electrical outlets that could support crock-pots?