Paddles here, paddles there...

jdkilroy

A "spare paddle" kept inside a cargo compartment becomes a non-essential piece of gear by definition. It would serve as a back-up if I trashed a paddle during a landing.

If out on the water and a paddle is lost or broken, the paddle in the hatch is of little or no value.

On the other hand, its hard to loose a paddle that's snug in the hatch...

PS: I snapped off the blade of an Ikelos in a tide race and Werner basically told me it was my problem and for 160.00 they would fix it. There was no visible damage to the paddle at all. No analysis (for my benefit) was done.

Jon

I did consider an under deck bag Jon but I really don't like the idea of catching on something when I need to get out of the cockpit fast as in landing in surf or some other situation like that. I really try to eliminate anything in the cockpit that could snag on clothing, a zipper pull etc.

A knee tube is certainly feasible but one has to open the cockpit to access it. I'd rather not in sketchy conditions.

Jon

I would certainly not hesitate to add a 4th hatch Bill but the boat is already at my starting point far away and I wont have a shop to manage an alteration like that in the 18 hours I'll have before setting out. I think more and more manufacturers will be putting these 4th hatches in their boats. I just makes sense.

I have another idea however: I am going to modify the deck bag that I have (a Northwater Expedition deck bag) to shorten it by a few inches. This will still give me adequate storage and if successful, it will allow the paddles to remain on the fore deck.

Now where did I put that seam ripper...

Jon

I have another idea however: I am going to modify the deck bag that I have (a Northwater Expedition deck bag) to shorten it by a few inches. This will still give me adequate storage and if successful, it will allow the paddles to remain on the fore deck.

Now where did I put that seam ripper...

Jon

Wow that's a big honkin bag!!

Their Turtle bag looks pretty cool though and this might be in my to get list for keeping a few things on deck.

North Water Turtle Back Deck Bag

Neil :thinking:

Early in my sea kayaking it seemed the aft deck was preferred for stowing paddles. I even recall examining an Explorer at GOMSKS in 2003 and noting the set up for stowing paddles aft (I was told it was Steve Maynard's boat). I emulated that set up. Then a short time later in my BCU training it was advised to stow paddles on the fore deck to leave the aft deck clear for rescues and avoid the chance of a tow line snagging. It initially worked fine for me until I shortened my paddles - stowing my 215 splits on the fore deck in a secure manner which I could retrieve easily, restow if necessary, and not be ripped off the deck by surf or swimmers became more complicated.

Paddle Britches...

I have a set on my Aquanaut and they work very well. The run between the RDFs forward of the cockpit and behind the fore hatch to the RDFs forward of the hatch is very long. I've tried many methods of securing paddles but have found Paddle Britches to be the best solution.

I was skeptical, but John Camody's positive experience and seeing them on some of his boats, convinced me. I've been very pleased with them. I may install a pair each on my Romany and Nordlow.

I LOVE my paddle britches and have on both my 161 and the Cetus LV. They are definitely the easiest way to stow paddles and keep the deck scratch free.

Suz

I never heard of a real kayaker who didn't have scratches on the deck...

I never heard of a real kayaker who didn't have scratches on the deck...

Dan,

I think that you are confusing the deck with the hull. B) If you put britches and enough tape on deck it will stay shiny new, while you have replaced half the hull.

-Jason

Dan,

I think that you are confusing the deck with the hull. B) If you put britches and enough tape on deck it will stay shiny new, while you have replaced half the hull.

-Jason

post-100097-1272901109_thumb.jpg

This is another solution to the scuffing up the fore deck problem. It allows retrieval of the spares in an emergency but not the easy return of same while on the water. Picture shows 2" wide velcro self adhesive strips (fuzzy side). No, they don't come off or loosen in salt water, but I would not want to speculate on how hard it might be to remove and clean up if you wanted to remove them.

Dan,

-Jason

Nah, Jason, I'm not confused, I was just taking a little dig at Suz. No matter which side of my kayak is up you will see scratches...

Nah, Jason, I'm not confused, I was just taking a little dig at Suz. No matter which side of my kayak is up you will see scratches...

I wouldn't worry Suz know's how to use a boat and play in the rocks.

As for my boat it's seen a few scratches in it's life...

dsc_2447.jpg

dsc_2450.jpg

dsc_2516.jpg

huh...scratches?

you mean love bites, fun scars...scratches? yeah, i heard of those...what's the big deal? so long as the boat is dry and sea worthy much all else is sorta inconsequential.

in the meantime we were talking about those britches...maybe a matching vest and jacket? that'd be sweet.....yeah, then i'd be dressed sha-arp for sure!

..maybe a matching vest and jacket? that'd be sweet.....yeah, then i'd be dressed sha-arp for sure!

No, no. Don't wear a vest. It will obscure those colorful braces holding up the britches.

Ed Lawson

I'm probably way under qualified to put in my 2cents,but I've had good luck with the expedition deck bag. I just take out the plastic part that gives it it's shape and it becomes more "user friendly"

I keep wondering how are people breaking or losing paddles. Do they break where they are joined ? Which of course would be a big vote against them. I'm guessing they get broken when landing in surf ?

I know I'm not doing the same style of trips but I gave up on carrying a full spare paddle, I just bring a spare collapsible canoe paddle.

I only go off for a week or two, but i never worry if the deck for or aft looks cluttered, all I have to do is look at old pictures of kayaks with ropes, throw sticks and what not coiled on the decks...maybe with the family tucked somewhere in the rest of the boat...makes my suff look like nothing.

I do worry about wind though, today I was glad to see the bear "proof" canister fit inside the hatch with a bit of a nudge but I realize when packed for a trip it may well have to go above deck.

Different gear for different trips.

Always wondering what to do for emergency method of sleeping when on the water and overcome by exhaustion?

First of all, I really appreciate everyone's interest and and participation in the "paddle project."

So here's my answer: A modified North Water expedition deck bag where I changed the shape of the plastic insert to allow the bag to taper down to the deck on the forward end. It was then sewn to perfection by LauraK herself with me getting in the way by "helping."

The new North Water (wedge-shaped) Expedition deck bag allows my spare paddle blades to overlap the deck bag and still allows easy retrieval. The locking strap across the blades ensures that they can't be lifted off the deck by seas. The large Fastek buckle ensures easy release, even while upside down.

post-100942-1272932513_thumb.jpg

post-100942-1272932591_thumb.jpg

post-100942-1272932647_thumb.jpg

Jon

PS: I have actually verified that the the VHF and the GPS cause less than a 5 degree W'ly deviation in my night nav compass as it sits atop the bag with the GPS on but the VHF off.

Always wondering what to do for emergency method of sleeping when on the water and overcome by exhaustion?

Did you not read the various articles about Freya's trip around Australia in Sea Kayaker magazine? :o