Looking for a good place to buy a Kayak

uturn

I'm planning to buy a Sea Kayak this spring. I live in Norwood, Ma. We have an EMS and a Bass Pro shop but I would really like to find a store that specializes in Kayaks. Southern RI would be OK as well.

It doesn't have to have the "lowest" prices, average is ok. Or, would you recommend buying online?

Thanks!

I'm planning to buy a Sea Kayak this spring. I live in Norwood, Ma. We have an EMS and a Bass Pro shop but I would really like to find a store that specializes in Kayaks. Southern RI would be OK as well.

It doesn't have to have the "lowest" prices, average is ok. Or, would you recommend buying online?

Thanks!

Charles River Canoe and Kayak might be a good bet for you. If possible try and shop somewhere that will let you paddle before you buy. Or join a club where others will let you try their boats. Everyone is different and what works for someone else might not be the boat for you.

Good luck

I'd second CRCK as you can demo many kayaks easily there, including renting one for the day or even to cart away for ocean use.

I'll third CRC&K. Two of my fleet I purchased from them and over the years may have demoed more than 25 boats. Last year I was keen on buying one of their end of year demo boats and took it out to the ocean for the day without a charge. They have been so helpful with advise and tips over the years that I always feel guilty if I buy a boat from anyone else.

A little information about what sort of kayaking you would like to do would be useful. Not all kayak stores carry all types/brands/models of kayak.

I'll 4th CRC&K. I've parted with a fair bit of money there and been happy to do so. However, I'll add the point that they don't carry everything. If they have what you want, they are an excellent place to shop. One missing line, IMHO, is Valley. They will sometimes have a used one on the lot, but they don't normally deal in them.

If we knew more about what you wanted, we might be able to point you at specific models and then find places that carry them.

Additionally, I'd guess you might have limited kayaking experience. Given that, you should not buy anything without trying out a lot of options first. I'd also strongly suggest that you look in the used market (CRC&K has used) so that you can gain some experience for less $$ and then figure out what type of kayak you really want.

Though I do still own my first kayak, I now refer to it as my "fat plastic tub". After gaining experience in that tub, I figured out that I wasn't going river camping, I was going playing in the ocean surf and camping on the Maine Island Trail. For that I wanted a very different kayak that what I had originally purchased.

Cheers!

Ty

OK. I have had flat-bottom Heritage Kayaks for a few years. My sons and I use them for paddling around and attempting to fish (I call it "hook throwing" because its much less frustrating to think about it as a separate sport since we rarely catch anything :-)

Last Spring we attended a Kayak rescue course taught by EMS. We had a great time with the Sea Kayaks they provided and decided to buy some this year. We would like to camp from them on the Maine Island trail. I also plan to participate in events sponsored by this club.

The Kayaks we used were Wilderness Tsunami and Tempest. We are all big, so I was thinking about getting three Tsunamis. Or at least one for me (not sure if I can swing three this year).

I'd also like to get a dry suit for next winter. The summer season is just too short here.

Given 3 larger guys, what would you suggest ?

Thanks you in advance!

-Craig

A little information about what sort of kayaking you would like to do would be useful. Not all kayak stores carry all types/brands/models of kayak.

I'll 4th CRC&K. I've parted with a fair bit of money there and been happy to do so. However, I'll add the point that they don't carry everything. If they have what you want, they are an excellent place to shop. One missing line, IMHO, is Valley. They will sometimes have a used one on the lot, but they don't normally deal in them.

If we knew more about what you wanted, we might be able to point you at specific models and then find places that carry them.

Additionally, I'd guess you might have limited kayaking experience. Given that, you should not buy anything without trying out a lot of options first. I'd also strongly suggest that you look in the used market (CRC&K has used) so that you can gain some experience for less $$ and then figure out what type of kayak you really want.

Though I do still own my first kayak, I now refer to it as my "fat plastic tub". After gaining experience in that tub, I figured out that I wasn't going river camping, I was going playing in the ocean surf and camping on the Maine Island Trail. For that I wanted a very different kayak that what I had originally purchased.

Cheers!

Ty

for larger guys:

Impex Assateague

Valley Aquanaut HV

Boreal Design Nanook (if you like the rudder thing)

I'm a big guy and owned these three in the past. The first two are more performance oriented than the third which is beastly big.

Since those boats I moved into a:

Valley Nordkapp (pretty slippey and fast) then

two

P&H Cetus boats (my favorite to date)

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about my experiences with these products.

Sea ya....

Doug

Check out Charles River Kayak in Newton, Kayak Centre in charlesetown/wickford RI, Osprey Sea Kayak in Westport, Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth, REI. I know that Charles River & Billington have on site demos, not sure about others.

FYI - boats(plus accessories bought at same time) in RI are exempt from sales tax. So if buying from ems or rei it may be worth a drive to a location there.

Wild Turkey paddlers have weekly skill sessions & paddles out of Hingham.

REI has had an annual boat demo the past couple of years in April at Sunset Lake in Braintree.

For sea kayaking and island hopping, you will want something at least 14' long. Most (including myself) would recommend something more like 16'-17'.

You will also want to consider that there is a difference between what feels good at first and what feels good after you have more experience.

When the seas get bumpy, a "stable" kayak will work against you.

Many (most?) people prefer skegs to rudders after they have some experience and also learn to use them correctly. Rudders catch on things a lot more than skegs.

Some people like a "dry ride". Some prefer to be one with the water and prefer the way that a low volume boat rides waves and bump.

Are you interested in learning to roll? There is hardly a kayak that can't be rolled, but some are much easier to learn in than others.

I don't know what was covered in the EMS rescue course, but this group offers (FREE!) practice sessions were some really fabulous people will be happy to help you improve your skills. Do not underestimate the value of being equipped with proper skills when on the water.

Cheers!

Ty

Used is sometimes a good option, especially if you know what you're looking for. Here are two used big guy glass kayaks you should consider.

I love my Argonaut, the Tempest may have some quality issues, some of the early glass Tempests had some quality issues.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/1632454524.html

http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/1634573954.html

Both are "more boat" than a Tsunami, but you won't out grow them quickly.

If you are looking for a rotomolded plastic sea kayak with a higher volume cockpit then I'd suggest the Valley Aquanaut HV previously named the Argonaut. Very stable and great tracking kayak that would be great for touring as well as kayak camping. Valley's rotomolded sea kayaks in my opinion are the best available.

New England Small Craft in Rowley MA has one or more Aquanaut HV as well as standard Aquanauts for sale at closeout prices. Call first to make sure they still have them.

http://www.nesmallcraft.com/

VALLEY AQUANAUT HV poly $1249.00

VALLEY AQUANAUT "CLUB" $995.00

Here is a link to Valley's web site on the Aquanaut HV

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/content/boa.../aquanaut-hv-rm

Neil

If you are looking for a rotomolded plastic sea kayak with a higher volume cockpit then I'd suggest the Valley Aquanaut HV previously named the Argonaut. Very stable and great tracking kayak that would be great for touring as well as kayak camping. Valley's rotomolded sea kayaks in my opinion are the best available.

New England Small Craft in Rowley MA has one or more Aquanaut HV as well as standard Aquanauts for sale at closeout prices. Call first to make sure they still have them.

http://www.nesmallcraft.com/

VALLEY AQUANAUT HV poly $1249.00

VALLEY AQUANAUT "CLUB" $995.00

Here is a link to Valley's web site on the Aquanaut HV

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/content/boa.../aquanaut-hv-rm

Neil

The RM version is smaller than the glass version. I fit the glass version of the boat and am not even close to fitting into the poly version.

Before a boat is purchased see about renting or barrowing the boat in question first. You need at least a day on the water to make sure that the boat will keep you smilling in a year.

-Jason

-Jason

Just to chime in with my few cents' worth ...

If this is going to be your first kayak (my comments assume this), the chances are somewhere approaching, oh, 100% that you'll be trading it in for a different boat in a few years. This is because, no matter how much pre-purchase demoing you do, it takes a fair amount of paddling and acquiring of skills and experience in different conditions before you begin to get a clear sense of what kind of kayaker you want to become, what you want to do in the sport, what your real paddling preferences are. Given that, buying a used kayak as your first boat makes good financial sense, if money is a concern to you (and this is an expensive sport). As others have already noted, members of kayak clubs are often selling boats, and are generous about letting you try them out first; these used boats are usually for sale because these paddlers are constantly growing and evolving, and their boat preferences shift accordingly. (In addition to the clubs mentioned, RICKA in RI and CONNYAK in CT are very active clubs, check their websites.)

But not to undermine the great outfitters in the area, I second (seventh?) the outfitters already mentioned. Speaking for myself, I've demoed to my heart's content at both CRCK in Newton and at Kayak Centre in Wickford RI. Also, I think New England Small Craft in Rowley hasn't been mentioned yet; they have wonderfully knowledgeable kayakers on staff, and I think they also have a demo policy.

What should the first boat be? Your head is probably already spinning from suggestions. What most kayakers will agree on are two things: (1) definitely demo a range of boats before buying one, and (2) the choice of boat is ultimately a very individual one. Bottom line, your first boat purchase doesn't have to be THE perfect boat for you, and probably won't be, because you don't yet know who "you" are as a paddler.

That said, generally a good starter boat would be versatile, suitable for learning different skills in varied conditions. (Well, duh!) Not a tub, unless you only plan to paddle on flat water -- rec boats feel nice and stable but don't let you grow as a paddler. But not so specialized or advanced that you're in over your head (bad pun) at the start. On the other hand, the latter isn't necessarily bad, because it will challenge you. (I bought the first boat I demoed, a used Prijon with a distinct personality, because I didn't now what I was doing and was anxious to get on the water. That turned out to be okay, because the boat forced me to grow skills in order to paddle it well, and after two seasons I could make a more experienced choice of a very different boat.)

Well, more grist for your mill. Hope some of it's useful ...

Thanks for all the info! I own 3 flat water boats. I've had them for two years. I took a Kayak rescue class taught by EMS and was introduced to Sea Kayaks. I found them to be a different kind of fun and really want to try Ocean Kayaking. Plus, I was a Marine Biologist and avid scuba diver many years ago. I love the ocean.

I know I will not find the "perfect"kayak for me my first try. But since I have to buy three of everything (two sons) I really can't afford to make too many mistakes. I guess the idea of buying used Kayaks may be best.

I was thinking that a Fiberglass or Kevlar boat would be too expensive. I did like the Tsumani boats used in the class. Since I will probably buy used, I should make a list of different boats so I will know what to look for.

Just to chime in with my few cents' worth ...

If this is going to be your first kayak (my comments assume this), the chances are somewhere approaching, oh, 100% that you'll be trading it in for a different boat in a few years. This is because, no matter how much pre-purchase demoing you do, it takes a fair amount of paddling and acquiring of skills and experience in different conditions before you begin to get a clear sense of what kind of kayaker you want to become, what you want to do in the sport, what your real paddling preferences are. Given that, buying a used kayak as your first boat makes good financial sense, if money is a concern to you (and this is an expensive sport). As others have already noted, members of kayak clubs are often selling boats, and are generous about letting you try them out first; these used boats are usually for sale because these paddlers are constantly growing and evolving, and their boat preferences shift accordingly. (In addition to the clubs mentioned, RICKA in RI and CONNYAK in CT are very active clubs, check their websites.)

But not to undermine the great outfitters in the area, I second (seventh?) the outfitters already mentioned. Speaking for myself, I've demoed to my heart's content at both CRCK in Newton and at Kayak Centre in Wickford RI. Also, I think New England Small Craft in Rowley hasn't been mentioned yet; they have wonderfully knowledgeable kayakers on staff, and I think they also have a demo policy.

What should the first boat be? Your head is probably already spinning from suggestions. What most kayakers will agree on are two things: (1) definitely demo a range of boats before buying one, and (2) the choice of boat is ultimately a very individual one. Bottom line, your first boat purchase doesn't have to be THE perfect boat for you, and probably won't be, because you don't yet know who "you" are as a paddler.

That said, generally a good starter boat would be versatile, suitable for learning different skills in varied conditions. (Well, duh!) Not a tub, unless you only plan to paddle on flat water -- rec boats feel nice and stable but don't let you grow as a paddler. But not so specialized or advanced that you're in over your head (bad pun) at the start. On the other hand, the latter isn't necessarily bad, because it will challenge you. (I bought the first boat I demoed, a used Prijon with a distinct personality, because I didn't now what I was doing and was anxious to get on the water. That turned out to be okay, because the boat forced me to grow skills in order to paddle it well, and after two seasons I could make a more experienced choice of a very different boat.)

Well, more grist for your mill. Hope some of it's useful ...

I am getting ready to post for sale my used Kevlar Gulfstream. Let me know if you are interested in trying it. Suitable for a large paddler, I put a cushy foam seat in it, plenty of room for camping gear. It already knows the Maine Islands. :-)) Liz

Making a list, demoing some boats, and waiting for a deal is a good stratagy.

Used fiberglass can be cheaper than new plastic. Those two links I posted were for an Argonaut for $1400 and a Tempest 18 pro for $1000., that's cheaper than a new Tsunami or only a little more than a new plastic Aquanaut HV.

I agree with those who are saying -- politely -- that demoing is not all that useful until you have some experience under your PFD to develop skills and knowledge, and know more about where you want to go with the sport.

The strategy I used when I started, before buying a boat, was to take a number of trip-classes with CRCK and use a variety of their boats. That improved my skills, gave me some idea what I wanted in a boat, got me some time in different boats, and -- not to be discounted -- gave me lots of time for conversations with the instructor/guides about paddling in general and boats in particular.

That does separate you from a bit more money, but you're going to want good instruction in any case. So it seems worth it to me.

Just my $0.02. --David.

There is a paddling trade show put on every spring at the UNH gymnasium, sponsored by Deerskin Trading Post. Many manufacturers of kayaks, canoes, paddles and all related equipment are represented. Then, a few weeks later, they have an in-water show at a lake in NH where you can try out virtually any model kayak of any manufacturer. It doesn't get you to experience the boat "in conditions", but at least you can try any boat in the water for fit and feel.

Good luck,

Bill

There is a paddling trade show put on every spring at the UNH gymnasium, sponsored by Deerskin Trading Post. Many manufacturers of kayaks, canoes, paddles and all related equipment are represented. Then, a few weeks later, they have an in-water show at a lake in NH where you can try out virtually any model kayak of any manufacturer. It doesn't get you to experience the boat "in conditions", but at least you can try any boat in the water for fit and feel.

Good luck,

Bill

Good point Bill ...Kittery (not deerskin) Trading Post Paddlesports Show. 4/9-4/11

Lot's of knowledgeable people to talk to...plus demos in the pool...workshops...etc. A lot to see and well worth going.

Good point Bill ...Kittery (not deerskin) Trading Post Paddlesports Show. 4/9-4/11

Lot's of knowledgeable people to talk to...plus demos in the pool...workshops...etc. A lot to see and well worth going.

Yes, sorry, it is the Kittery Trading Post (had a brain cramp) and it is the New England Paddlesports Show at UNH in Durham, NH on April 9-11, Friday 5-9PM, Sat 9AM-6PM and Sunday 9AM-4PM.

Bill

I didn't notice anyone mention the North South River Watershed Association Expo. It's the same weekend as the KTP Expo at UNH but a lot closer to Norwood if you don't want to travel that far. In past years it was titled a "Kayak Expo". This year it is moving to a larger venue and is now titled an "Outdoor Adventures Expo". It is at Marshfield High School on April 10th. Here is the URL to their web page for the show: http://www.nsrwa.org/Page.125.html

The NSRWA Expo is not as large as the KTP Expo but it has more South Shore Outfitters, like Billington Sea Kayak and also has South Shore paddling clubs like Wild Turkey Paddlers and Wampanoag Paddlers.

The tsunamis that you already tried and liked will do well for you....there is a bunch of sizes of them......they do well in flatter water and the longer versions are capable touring boats for open water.....plastic so you can beat them up and you can do just fine!!!

EMS and REI should have them....you can probably talk a good % out of them if you are going to purchase and handful of boats.....

def. look into getting the boats either in NH or RI as both of those states have no % tax (ri = no sales tax on boats! NH = well...everything)