Looking for a good place to buy a Kayak

uturn

Thanks for all the info! I own 3 flat water boats. I've had them for two years. I took a Kayak rescue class taught by EMS and was introduced to Sea Kayaks. I found them to be a different kind of fun and really want to try Ocean Kayaking. Plus, I was a Marine Biologist and avid scuba diver many years ago. I love the ocean.

I know I will not find the "perfect"kayak for me my first try. But since I have to buy three of everything (two sons) I really can't afford to make too many mistakes. I guess the idea of buying used Kayaks may be best.

I was thinking that a Fiberglass or Kevlar boat would be too expensive. I did like the Tsumani boats used in the class. Since I will probably buy used, I should make a list of different boats so I will know what to look for.

I second most of the remarks made, especially David's. Given your history, I would NOT recommend the larger Tsunamis for ocean use, as they're relatively heavy and non-responsive.

These were made to be solid rec tanks. In the shortish "transitional" all-purpose 'yak stage I'd much more recommend the skegged Manitou 14, but even that will probably prove to be a very short term use as you get your sea legs. It will however prove to be a great all-purpose rec boat for family and visitor use in mild water.

Most will agree that you should get out on the ocean in protected venues and PRACTICE enough to learn what fits you well in a 16-17' new poly boat or a 17-18' used composite, of which there are many options...and don't be annoyed that you'll probably trade up or sideways in the short to medium term.

I suspect that the average curve may be 3 'yaks in 5 years unless you get lucky and find a keeper early on. That would probably require significant time demoing 'yaks that may seem unstable to you initially, especially in "conditions".

I found that chatting up the gurus at CRCK while taking their Ocean Skills Class to be an excellent, and quite excitingly wet intro to what this is all about.

Have fun.

Great advice, thank you all!

Kayaking was my miracle cure for a major family problem. By two boys (now 15 and 19) had no more interest in doing outside activities with me. Actually, the 19 year old had no interest in anything outside. Then we stumbled across some kayaks while looking through Bass Pro Shop (as I was trying to get him interest in fishing … which I arguably :D also just learned how to do). He showed some interest and I eventually bought three. He will go any time, anywhere.

Then we took that EMS rescue class and loved the maneuverability of the Sea Kayaks. I did enjoy it myself, but my real ulterior motive is to still have something that my boys want to do with me (aside from indoor stuff like movies).

Having to buy three of anything presents a problem. I am not wealthy and if I can swing three Sea Kayaks, I won’t be able to afford swapping them out until I find the right one for me. Maybe buying three different used Kayaks is the way to go?

I second most of the remarks made, especially David's. Given your history, I would NOT recommend the larger Tsunamis for ocean use, as they're relatively heavy and non-responsive.

These were made to be solid rec tanks. In the shortish "transitional" all-purpose 'yak stage I'd much more recommend the skegged Manitou 14, but even that will probably prove to be a very short term use as you get your sea legs. It will however prove to be a great all-purpose rec boat for family and visitor use in mild water.

Most will agree that you should get out on the ocean in protected venues and PRACTICE enough to learn what fits you well in a 16-17' new poly boat or a 17-18' used composite, of which there are many options...and don't be annoyed that you'll probably trade up or sideways in the short to medium term.

I suspect that the average curve may be 3 'yaks in 5 years unless you get lucky and find a keeper early on. That would probably require significant time demoing 'yaks that may seem unstable to you initially, especially in "conditions".

I found that chatting up the gurus at CRCK while taking their Ocean Skills Class to be an excellent, and quite excitingly wet intro to what this is all about.

Have fun.

I was in a similar bind as you. I ended up buying used for me and my boys and one new for my wife. To do this I gave up (sold them all) on two outboard motors, inflatable boat and a surfboard. Patience yields good deals on good kayaks.

Great advice, thank you all!

Kayaking was my miracle cure for a major family problem. By two boys (now 15 and 19) had no more interest in doing outside activities with me. Actually, the 19 year old had no interest in anything outside. Then we stumbled across some kayaks while looking through Bass Pro Shop (as I was trying to get him interest in fishing … which I arguably :D also just learned how to do). He showed some interest and I eventually bought three. He will go any time, anywhere.

Then we took that EMS rescue class and loved the maneuverability of the Sea Kayaks. I did enjoy it myself, but my real ulterior motive is to still have something that my boys want to do with me (aside from indoor stuff like movies).

Having to buy three of anything presents a problem. I am not wealthy and if I can swing three Sea Kayaks, I won’t be able to afford swapping them out until I find the right one for me. Maybe buying three different used Kayaks is the way to go?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm planning to buy a Sea Kayak this spring. I live in Norwood, Ma. We have an EMS and a Bass Pro shop but I would really like to find a store that specializes in Kayaks. Southern RI would be OK as well.

It doesn't have to have the "lowest" prices, average is ok. Or, would you recommend buying online?

Thanks!

You must come to the NSRWA Kayak & Outdoor Adventure Expo on Saturday April 10 at the Marshfield High Gym is you are looking for the best selection and best prices anywhere. All the major vendors will be there. Check out www.nsrwa.org for a full list of vendors.