More NSPN Solstice Paddle Pics

Doug

Thanks to everyone involved in organizing this annual Solstice gathering. Special note to Rob, Liz & Galen for your leadership skills. Sorry I couldn't stay for the party afterwards. It was nice to meet additional members of NSPN, especially those that have been part of the organization for so long. I had a blast....

Open attachment to view our leg of the trip.

Doug

http://pixel8er.smugmug.com/gallery/871123...575749692_EudcF

Thanks to everyone involved in organizing this annual Solstice gathering. Special note to Rob, Liz & Galen for your leadership skills. Sorry I couldn't stay for the party afterwards. It was nice to meet additional members of NSPN, especially those that have been part of the organization for so long. I had a blast....

Doug

Yes, what a terrific day. This was my first nspn trip, and it was such an excellent learning experience and fun as well. Special thanks for taking some unknowns out into the chop! Great leadership and company all day. Thanks Heidi for your coordination of the party and to whoever made those great brownies! Florrie

Thanks for posting the pix, Doug!

In addition to Liz and Galen, I'd like to thank Jon and Sean for their help, and extend a big congratulation to Ann, Florrie, and a couple others who gamely ventured back out with us on the return leg of the trip, through conditions that had clearly developed into Level 3.

I'm glad that we watched and waited until the conditions abated somewhat before making the decision whether to re-launch. It was well thought out and it made for a great paddle.

Altogether, an excellent day on the water!

Cheers,

Rob

Photo #45 (of 50) in Doug's pictures -- anyone know what is wrong in that shot?

I wish I had been there; but had to work.

The swimmer has both boots on top of his hull. If he was trying to hold on to his boat a boot hooked inside the combing is a better choice.

The swimmer has both boots on top of his hull. If he was trying to hold on to his boat a boot hooked inside the combing is a better choice.

Gene,

I may be wrong, but I think you are looking at picture #41. If I have the right pic #45, I would guess Sir Christopher is referring to the rather unsafe position of the paddler's left arm.

A possible review of the "paddlers box" ! A shoulder discocate waiting to happen!

Is that Derek Hutchinson???

:D

That's Nigel MacNigel, sculling backwards off the beach. What's wrong is that his PFD doesn't match his sprayskirt, a serious fashion no-no.

We have no room for such slime in the world of Sea Kayaking.

As punishment he should be forced to eat 3 Triscuits topped with Velveeta and wash them down with a can of Bud Light.

WARM Bud Light!

Rob

As punishment he should be forced to eat 3 Triscuits topped with Velveeta and wash them down with a can of Bud Light.

WARM Bud Light!

Rob

Now, THAT is cruel and unusual punishment! ;-)

That's Nigel

I offer my most humble apologies and beg forgiveness. If his name is Nigel he must be doing it right. Perhaps even developing a new assessment trick.

Seriously, the pics were great and people appeared to be having a great time on and off the water.

Ed Lawson

I looked at photo #45 again and realized that NO ONE has answered your question correctly so far.

Leaving aside the position of the arms (which is leaving aside a lot), IMHO the boat is leaned the wrong way assuming a sculling draw to starboard is being attempted. OTOH, the paddler is in an oxygen rich environment so I guess that trumps all the niggling details.

Ed Lawson

Leaving aside the position of the arms (which is leaving aside a lot), IMHO the boat is leaned the wrong way assuming a sculling draw to starboard is being attempted. OTOH, the paddler is in an oxygen rich environment so I guess that trumps all the niggling details.

Ed Lawson

if the boat moves quickly and efficiently and you aren't in a position prone to hurt your body then there is no wrong way. on draws i like to lean in..i understand the whole water can catch the edge yakkity, yak and it has never been a problem and i've managed to move it sideways with a fair amount of speed. some lean away, some lean toward....potay-to, potah-to.

other than that given the angle of the shot, i can't tell much.

the most important feature is that he's having fun on a lovely day.....after that, it's all blah, blah, blah.

looks like fun...sorry i missed it.

I notice that Christopher has not been back yet.

OK. Kevin was on the right track, but he singled out the wrong arm. Photo #45 caught me in a singularly ungainly moment. (thanks a HEAP, Doug!) My pose shows a superficial similarity to a well known illustration of a man doing a bad overhead high brace into the face of a large ocean wave, with a caption telling that he is about to get his shoulder dislocated.

In the photo, my left arm is above, but well out in front of, my head. But given that the boat is aggressively edged away from the upper hand and given that the water is flat, the possibility of that shoulder being injured is remote.

The other arm, however, rotated out to the side, is in some peril should my edged boat and I capsize on top of it, given that the water is only about 18" deep. THAT is what Kevin should have remarked on. That is the arm which is truly "outside the Box".

Further, close inspection will show that the boat is moving briskly backwards, since I am sculling backwards off the beach, something I just enjoy doing. The problem is that I seem to be looking ahead, that is, NOT looking where I am going! I had been looking behind, over my shoulder, an instant before Doug snapped the shot, but that's photography for you!

However, what I believe Christopher is really trying to do with his question is tell me that he has noticed in shot #45 that, in spite of his trying for 2 seasons to convince me that the Valley Pintail is so superior a rock garden boat that "There is NO comparison", I have gone out and bought, (GASP!) a Romany.

I wish you'd been along with us, Christopher, It was a glorious day, but you probably had to work, and you probably would have gone on the Level3 trip anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

I notice that Christopher has not been back yet.

OK. Kevin was on the right track, but he singled out the wrong arm. Photo #45 caught me in a singularly ungainly moment. (thanks a HEAP, Doug!) My pose shows a superficial similarity to a well known illustration of a man doing a bad overhead high brace into the face of a large ocean wave, with a caption telling that he is about to get his shoulder dislocated.

In the photo, my left arm is above, but well out in front of, my head. But given that the boat is aggressively edged away from the upper hand and given that the water is flat, the possibility of that shoulder being injured is remote.

The other arm, however, rotated out to the side, is in some peril should my edged boat and I capsize on top of it, given that the water is only about 18" deep. THAT is what Kevin should have remarked on. That is the arm which is truly "outside the Box".

Further, close inspection will show that the boat is moving briskly backwards, since I am sculling backwards off the beach, something I just enjoy doing. The problem is that I seem to be looking ahead, that is, NOT looking where I am going! I had been looking behind, over my shoulder, an instant before Doug snapped the shot, but that's photography for you!

However, what I believe Christopher is really trying to do with his question is tell me that he has noticed in shot #45 that, in spite of his trying for 2 seasons to convince me that the Valley Pintail is so superior a rock garden boat that "There is NO comparison", I have gone out and bought, (GASP!) a Romany.

I wish you'd been along with us, Christopher, It was a glorious day, but you probably had to work, and you probably would have gone on the Level3 trip anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry Rob, I simply thought it was a cool pic. As a matter of fact, I remember thinking "boy, I wish I could do that". What do I know? I'm just the guy taking the picture. Didn't mean to cause you any grief. Let's say I owe you one. Doug

Sorry Rob, I simply thought it was a cool pic. As a matter of fact, I remember thinking "boy, I wish I could do that". What do I know? I'm just the guy taking the picture. Didn't mean to cause you any grief. Let's say I owe you one. Doug

Doug,

No worries...just a little gentle ribbing among friends...:)

Oh, no, you guys! You don't get off THAT easy! The only apology I'll accept is when Christopher strong-arms you into taking up a collection and buying me a brand new Pintail!

Yellow hull, orange deck, red sheerstripe and coaming, please, with keyhole cockpit, 33" bulkhead, no footbraces, and dress it up with dark blue decklines.

Oh, and I could use a new helmet, too, without those ventilation holes that leave sunburn spots on my bald spot. B)

Doug:

Do not worry. On the contrary you are to be commended for you tireless efforts to create a rogue's gallery of paddlers. <g>

Rob:

Upon closer examination, your failure to look backwards is a significant failure since the other paddlers in the picture seem transfixed by what they see before them. Perhaps it was the shock of seeing an august BOD member and responsible trip whatever succumbing to the urge to engage in frivolous playing about in a boat.

I will forebear comments about the Pintail and the desired colors given the polite society of the NSPN bulletin board.

Ed Lawson