Solo: Lost at Sea - Andrew McAuley Documentary

boatbossbsb

This is an emotional 4 minute trailer of the documentary. I’d be interested in getting my hands on a copy of the broadcast if anyone has taped it. I can't seem to find any information about when it might air again.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/epis...Videos/05714_00

Here is a video link showing his boat and footage from his trip:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/epis...Videos/05819_00

Here is a link to his wife’s comments about making the documentary;

http://ngcblog.nationalgeographic.com/ngcb...ration_and.html

This is an emotional 4 minute trailer of the documentary. I’d be interested in getting my hands on a copy of the broadcast if anyone has taped it. I can't seem to find any information about when it might air again.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/epis...Videos/05714_00

Here is a video link showing his boat and footage from his trip:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/epis...Videos/05819_00

Here is a link to his wife’s comments about making the documentary;

http://ngcblog.nationalgeographic.com/ngcb...ration_and.html

Thank you Betty for posting the links. I remember when this happened. If I am correct, Andrew literally did this trip solo--he decided to do this trip without support boat trailing as is often the case with solo adventurers.

Another point of interest is Andrew was close to his final destination before he was "lost" at sea. Family and friends were expecting him, 'to arrive at any time," before he was lost. I forget the distance, but he was close enough that people were organized to meet him on shore when he arrived in celebration of his adventure. So for Andrew to get "lost" so close to his final destination was unexpected, shocking--not to mention heart breaking--for his family and loved ones.

Does anyone else know this part of Andrew's adventure? Also, didn't his father or some other person close to him help Andrew design and build the foul weather-proof kayak that could right itself if flipped?

Les

You can find a summary of the inquest here ...

http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/magazine/70/inquest.htm

Thank you--that link is most helpful in understanding what happened--only 30 hours away from his destination and," Separated from the capsized kayak, without an inflated PFD, not wearing an immersion suit, with legs almost atrophied after 30 days in the cockpit, cold water wind, chill from the 20-25 knot southerly wind, and breaking chop, ...60 to 90 minutes would be pushing the limit for Andrew's survival."

Perhaps the most significant omisssion was not having the EPIRG attached to the paddler vs. the kayak. He was probable lucky to even retrieve his VHF radio during the capsize since that wasn't with him either. Without attempting to attach blame or question his motives I need to state that there is sometimes a very thin line between courage and lack of preparation. I find it ironic that while we all need to mourn the loss of a genuine adventurer, several of our own NSPN members probably could have done a better job of planning for such a serious adventure, including having a serious discussion of incident management scenarios. This is all very sad and tragic, but the tragedy is worse if lessons cannot be learned from it.

Perhaps the most significant omisssion was not having the EPIRG attached to the paddler vs. the kayak. He was probable lucky to even retrieve his VHF radio during the capsize since that wasn't with him either. Without attempting to attach blame or question his motives I need to state that there is sometimes a very thin line between courage and lack of preparation. I find it ironic that while we all need to mourn the loss of a genuine adventurer, several of our own NSPN members probably could have done a better job of planning for such a serious adventure, including having a serious discussion of incident management scenarios. This is all very sad and tragic, but the tragedy is worse if lessons cannot be learned from it.

it's sad (made me cry when i watched it) but he knew what the stakes to get in the game were....he cried paddling away from his baby and wife - he knew what was on the line and he knew that when it came down to it, it was him and that boat.

if there's heavy weather and you aren't dressed for immersion and help is hours away best case almost EVERYTHING is a recovery aid and not a rescue tool, don't you think?

you think a radio and an epirb are magic do over buttons?

if you play with margins that are wafer thin don't think (as he could not have) that any piece of whiz bang gadgetry is going to save your bacon.

I agree with you Rick! I also feel that Andrew was very well prepared and had all of the necessary safety gear including dry suit, epirb, vhf radios, sat phone etc. Sometimes though no matter what you have for safety gear an accident can happen and it only takes one minor mistake to cost you your life in extreme situations like Andrew put himself in. Experts can analyze what could have gone wrong and what could have been done differently but only Andrew knew what really happened. What Andrew tried and many feel accomplished was in a way similar to a mountaineer climbing Everest or other extreme adventure. No matter how prepared you are sometimes the weather conditions, fatigue or other circumstances can be overwhelming and it only takes one mishap for a bad situation to turn into a tragedy. Extreme adventurers who, even when taking every precaution they can think of to minimize risk, are still at the mercy of their extreme environment. I'm glad Andrew's story was told by National Geographic as this accomplishment although unfortunate in it's outcome was still great. I've searched National Geo site and it doesn't appear this show is available. Hopefully it will air again in the future and I'll get to see it too.

it's sad (made me cry when i watched it) but he knew what the stakes to get in the game were....he cried paddling away from his baby and wife - he knew what was on the line and he knew that when it came down to it, it was him and that boat.

if there's heavy weather and you aren't dressed for immersion and help is hours away best case almost EVERYTHING is a recovery aid and not a rescue tool, don't you think?

you think a radio and an epirb are magic do over buttons?

if you play with margins that are wafer thin don't think (as he could not have) that any piece of whiz bang gadgetry is going to save your bacon.

I don't know if you read the Coroner's report as I did, but he clearly stated that had Andrew activated the EPIRG there was a ship nearby and the outcome could have been different. I do however agree with your general comment regarding the over reliance on equipment to save you when things break bad. In any of life's activities where risk is a factor, we try to mitigate either via passive or active safety measures. EPIRG's, Sat phones and VHF's are passive devices in that they may in fact make the seakayaker less safe because he may venture beyond good judgement and skill in the mistaken believe that he has a foolproof backup plan. It seemed ironic to me that one of the active safety skills that seakayakers employ, the eskimo roll, was denied Andrew because of the equipment crowding his deck. Casper, the canopy, another passive safety device probably failed and contributed to this tragedy.

I don't think he had a choice but to put a lot of gear on top of his kayak - he slept inside, which didn't leave a lot of room. There's also the issue of gear accessibility on a long solo crossing - you can't get into that front hatch etc. I'm sure he made some trade-off on this point.

To reiterate from the other thread - there's a great book called "A Speck on the Sea" that presents the story of many small-boat crossings of the the oceans. Some of the attempts were harebrained - others were magnificent achievements. It's worth a read if you're curious about how people handle these long crossings.

I don't think that Andrew's EPIRB would have made a difference. It's impossible to know but I would propose that Andrew had gone through various attempts at getting himself out of trouble before he called for help.

It sounded like he was working with his end reserves when making that call for help. An EPIRB rescue would have been a lengthy affair and unless that ship were really close... figure about 14 ~ 16 knots for typical diesel ship. Hour(s) at best and that kayak won't be showing up on any radar.

I don't know... any of us who actively, or entertain thoughts of, paddling solo off shore have to be willing to face the same realities that Andrew did. You don't have to be far off to be out of reach.

Jon

I saw the documentary some time back. Yes found it sad and interesting. But come on folks... Were taking about spending 30 days in a Kayak in an unforgiving body of water. NOT a journey even close to typical of our membership. There indeed is a reason the word "extreme" is used to describe these undertakings where all bets are off. And anyone that does them knows full well that there may likely not be a return.

To start the woulda, coulda, shoulda's, on this one has me shaking my head if for no other reason than respect!

Just my 2 cents..

Ken

Hatches battened!

Great response Ken! I also feel this thread should not be about what Andrew did or did not do but rather a tribute to an extreme kayaker and adventurer. Long range open ocean crossings by kayak was his passion and Andrew accomplished many extreme endurance crossings.

http://www.andrewmcauley.com/

My 2 cents too

Neil

Great response Ken! I also feel this thread should not be about what Andrew did or did not do but rather a tribute to an extreme kayaker and adventurer. Long range open ocean crossings by kayak was his passion and Andrew accomplished many extreme endurance crossings.

http://www.andrewmcauley.com/

My 2 cents too

Neil

These pages are all about seakayaking and everything that conveys. Given the sometimes hostile environment we play in and enjoy, safety and skills and equipment are all fair issues of debate. I’m always concerned when the discussion shifts from the issue at hand to the wisdom of having the discussion itself. While I wouldn’t accuse those who feel so inclined of censorship, they do provoke a kind of chill on further discussion. Those who risk more and are known and admired as extreme adventurers give all of us hope and inspiration even when they occasionally and even tragically fail. While we need to celebrate their victories we must not shrink from learning from their failures as well. None of us will probably ever venture into such extremes but many of us can learn something from these adventures and their mistakes. These discussions do not disrespect the fallen, if anything they solidify their lives in that all too human drama of courage and fragility and liberates us from the dangers of mere hero worship. While I do not wish to question Andrew McAuley and his life’s choices, he may still have more to teach us in his untimely death.

While we need to celebrate their victories we must not shrink from learning from their failures as well. None of us will probably ever venture into such extremes but many of us can learn something from these adventures and their mistakes. These discussions do not disrespect the fallen,

Without joining the debate, if there is one, an example of reviewing the misfortune of others.

Every year many climbers carefully review a sobering, but educational booklet titled "Accidents in North American Mountaineering".

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/...m/114062/N/1194

Ed Lawson

Yeah, I think that there are differences between what we do and what people who plan long solo crossings might do. It's worthwhile discussing, but in general, the long solo crossings are inherently riskier.

The first long solo crossing ascribed to someone in a kayak was in the 1930's. It was from the Canaries to the Virgin Islands, in a wood framed kayak with a canvas hull. I believe it was 26' long, and had a 5' beam. The guy paddling/sailing it had a gas stove that gave out. His foot-operated bilge pump gave out. He lost his hat, and was basically frying in the sun. I recall that he could hardly sleep at all, because he had to be constantly vigilant about waves. In fact, I recall reading that he would catch three seconds of sleep in the troughs between waves. Eventually, he came upon a shipping vessel that donated a hat and a spirit stove for him. He also had salt-water blisters all over the place because he couldn't effectively bail.

It's real tough - a big can of worms, and I think everyone who tries this has some new strategy or other that they try.

Humans and their activities are always being defined and redefined. Adventurers, artist, writers etc. constantly push, stretch and reshape the outer boundaries that often define exactly what the limits and meaning of human experience is. Like an amoeba they constantly reshape that definition while most of the rest of us find what we need within their parameters.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed this last year when the whole thing occured---regardless of the safety gear he had or didn't have and his level of training and expertise, what he did was extremely dangerous--an 1100 mile open crossing over seas that have some of the highest winds and biggest waves anywhere(the roaring 40s). No amount of gear or training can make this voyage safe--this doesn't mean that McAuley shouldn't have attempted it--I personally was rooting for him to finish--but what ultimatly happened shouldn't be a shock to any experienced paddler. and BTW the kayak he was using was a commercially produced model with a couple of modifications to allow him to sleep--it wasn't something specially designed and built for the trip.