2008 "School of Hard Knocks" Award

PeterB

Outstanding!

So far we have had some EXCELLENT nominations for the “School of Hard Knocks†award:

One kayak flying off roof of car, resulting in damage to kayak.

One kayak flying off roof of car, resulting in damage to paddler.

One boat run aground, no significant boat damage or hull penetration, but evidence of psychic damage to paddler.

One significant injury (full shoulder separation)

A series of car mishaps on various kayak-related road journeys.

A series of incidents requiring serial boat repair, prompting hardened veteran kayak repair expert to roll his eyes and say, "time to get another boat."

One kayak fishing escapade resulting in capsize and epic underwater struggle with giant fish, with ultimate triumph over adversity ( successful recovery & tow, giant fish eaten for supper)

One capsize in e-coli infested waters, resulting in frantic antiseptic measures , public nakedness and real or perceived threat of imminent gang –ravishing in parking lot.

Karen Gladstone: say no more.

Only a few more days left to submit nominations! After November 26th, call for nominations will close, so that our team of graphic artists will have time to prepare the new award for the Holiday Party.

Contrary to what my brother stated,

I have to say this type of thing could not happen to ANYONE as most of us know about tides.

Pay attention to the power of mother ocean, or she WILL spank you.

To bad the tide was on the rise and not goin out.

IMHO this kayak is beyond resonable repair.

Here is an entry on behalf of Karen Gladstone. I am deliberately omitting the story as a challenge -- see if you can explain what happened.

--David.

I'm not sayng anything yet but one of you is close. Use David's hints.

And by the way, my insurance would NOT pay for this calamity because it occurred under "natural" conditions.

Karen

I was going to nominate myself for one day at this years Down East symposium where I ripped the neck gasket on my dry suit even before we left the beach, had both long and short tow lines fail during a particularly tricky extraction of Peter Casson and Jeff Allen, and snapped a Lendal paddle while trying to roll up after unexpectedly running aground on a rather abrasive (read barnacles) rock and capsizing.........it was an incident management class and none of the above were planned. However, after seeing the above, my bad day seems pretty mild.

How about this...the boat is on the floating dock and the stern was tied off to the piling and the tide lifted the dock.

Ok the jig is up. Sal-you get the prize. I will tell you that Bob Burnett figured it out immediately.

However in my wisdom to tether the boat "securely" to the "dock", I tied both the bow AND stern lines to the pilings.

If I had tied JUST the bow or stern, my poor boat might have escaped the slow, screaming crush through the cycle of one tide.

Ok the jig is up. Sal-you get the prize. I will tell you that Bob Burnett figured it out immediately.

However in my wisdom to tether the boat "securely" to the "dock", I tied both the bow AND stern lines to the pilings.

If I had tied JUST the bow or stern, my poor boat might have escaped the slow, screaming crush through the cycle of one tide.

Psssssst!! Karen, didn't we learn that low blood sugar can impair judgement? That's what I'd be claiming happened. ;)

Sorry to see your boat destroyed but I'm glad you wern't hurt.

Here is an entry on behalf of Karen Gladstone. I am deliberately omitting the story as a challenge -- see if you can explain what happened.

FYI - I saw a Pintail suffer similar damage to the bow. Valley sent a new bow section and a skilled craftsman put it back together. I have to say it looked perfect & is still in use today. Talk to Danny @ Impex & see what he can do. I have no idea what the repair cost which may be an issue.

--David.