High Dock, high anxiety

Gcosloy

Most of us coastal kayakers know well the difficulty of landing and launching in the mildest of surf. Over time however we master or muster through determination and repetition. Recently, paddling the Boston Inner harbor a new challenge presented itself: How to get out of the kayak onto a high dock and conversely how to get off and into the boat as well. About ten of us arrived at Rose Wharf which has a dock about 32" off the water. Several experienced with this promptly scrambled up on dock and secured their boats with rope. About half the group prudently left in search of a more propitious situation. I lacking either the experience or prudence decided to stay and try my luck. Interestingly there existed an aluminum ladder fixed to the dock about three feet from the edge. I assumed here was my chance.

As I clambered out of the cockpit and put my weight onto the ladder I heard a disquieting sound, a steady and rhythmic gnashing of barnacles around the piling working it's magic on my boat's gel coat. Too late to stop now I was up and over. The boat was tied up to a handy dock cleat and off we went for lunch and rest. After being politely asked to leave by a young man in a green hotel shirt, obviously in the employ of Rose Wharf, my real anxiety began; how to get back in the boat from this height. Dee explained how to do it and by having another paddler stabilize her boat demonstrated same. Carefully lower yourself into the cockpit standing facing the stern, kneeling on the seat and quickly twist around and plop in the seat. It looked easy enough, however when I tried it I found myself about six inches too short. By holding onto the dock and lowering myself standing into the cockpit I was fine, but then the water sunk and I was dangling and hanging on for dear life. The water promptly surged upwards and again I was fine. This happened maybe four or five more times before I realized this couldn't go on like this forever, a decision had to be made. So I dropped to a seating position on my back deck, my feet in the cockpit when I heard Dee yell, "Face the rear!" Too, late, dammit, with one fell swoop I slid my tuchus into the cockpit with all the savoir faire I could muster and considered myself lucky. If I ever do this again does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it better. Like what if there is no ladder and your exit cannot afford you the good efforts of fellow paddlers stabilizing your boat? Would a rescue sling lassoed around the cleat work?

use all boats avail:

http://jeffcasey.net/two-boats-helps.jpg

(Rick & Scott on the last leg of the Keys jaunt)

that waitress was scottish and that was...vaca key? about one hundred degree's out, we pull in...i am about crippled - i'd thrown my back out sleeping in a woefully inadequate hammock that was not suitable for weights above about 150 pounds (which, had we been paddling on the moon woulda been just fine)...so we come up the ladder in the heat and gimpy, sit down and drink about 5 pitchers of ice tea (and a few beers...i think) and we tell her where we came from and what we were doing....her response was something along the lines of "ohgetthefugoutyourfriggendahftyouare" but it was a long time ago and i was dizzy from the heat, painkillers and beer....memory slips.

hey bubba....how's that o ring? still holding up?

Standing up in ones boat , that much maligned pool session antic, actually does have value in the real world of kayaking.

It's also used when landing on rocky areas where there's no place at deck level to exit (common in UK, I'm told) ; similar to a dock. Also, good for improving balance.

There is also the option to hook your town line to the boat, get out and then swim in. Then for getting back on the water, you hook the tow to the boat, swim out and drag your boat out to you and do a cowboy or R&R or any other method of re-entry. This is the preferred technique for landing on a rocky no-landing zone. It really is fun to do, give it a go sometime.

that waitress was scottish and that was...vaca key? about one hundred degree's out, we pull in...i am about crippled - i'd thrown my back out sleeping in a woefully inadequate hammock that was not suitable for weights above about 150 pounds (which, had we been paddling on the moon woulda been just fine)...so we come up the ladder in the heat and gimpy, sit down and drink about 5 pitchers of ice tea (and a few beers...i think) and we tell her where we came from and what we were doing....her response was something along the lines of "ohgetthefugoutyourfriggendahftyouare" but it was a long time ago and i was dizzy from the heat, painkillers and beer....memory slips.

hey bubba....how's that o ring? still holding up?

Geiger Key it was, I believe, my irreverent friend...otherwise your story jives with my diminishing memories. Last day lunch stop, so yes, it was after your back started screaming. If you'd slept on the ground with the snakes like older/wiser people, you'da been in top-top shape.....(and she was Scottish, and every bit as charming as you remember...)

Standing up definitely can help one with balance and also develops a sense of well being and/or accomplishment as they develop kayaking skills. Doing so in a pool has and may intimidate other paddlers due to the close proximity. Not everyone is willing to speak up, so as always be aware of how your choices might effect others.

There are some advantages to being able to stand up in a kayak but, especially when alone, it increases the risk that paddler and boat will become separated. If you are, for instance, trying to see over relatively high seas you are further at risk as the relatively high seas are more likely to separate paddler and boat.

In normal circumstances at this or a similar high dock with a ladder I would slip out of the boat with tow rope in hand and swim in to the ladder (also at a rocky coast). The risk of standing is higher than swimming in for me. In this case I demonstrated rising to a standing position with aid of the dock. A few followed and others chose to proceed on to another landing.

The dock we chose (Rose Wharf?) turned not to be for the public but the "dock watcher" was kind enough to let us have lunch. There were anxious moments as a large boat began to back in, only to anchor at the end of the dock (and leave us alone).

Rowes Wharf is definitely not a place where I would try to dock. Not only is it private, but it has lots of traffic from large commercial and private vessels as well as the water taxi service there. You would be better off going over to the Barking Crab where Boaters are always welcome to tie up at no charge WHILE DINING.