Charles River/Boston Harbor Paddle Sat. Aug 9

cathyfoley

This trip was originally scheduled for Seacoast Kayakers. Any NSPN'er is welcome to join us.

Launch From: Artesane Park, 1234 Soldier Field Road, Brighton, MA

Date: Aug. 9th, 2008

Time: 11:00 a.m. (will not wait for stragglers)

Route: Charles River downstream through the locks and into Boston Harbor

Total Distance: 15 miles

Launch at Artesani Park in Brighton...paddle down the Charles River to Boston Harbor, through the locks...if the group chooses to go that far. Paddle past Harvard U, Boston University, through the Esplanade ponds, past the Museum of Science, under the Zakim Bridge and into Boston Harbor and return trip. Bring some cash to stop for lunch or ice cream!

This trip will definitely be more than 3 hours. Total distance (round trip is 15 miles) all flat, non-tidal water, except outside the locks. The group may choose to turn around at the Musuem of Science, in which case the trip is 11 miles.

Cathy-I would love to join you if the weather doesn't deteriorate. Do you have an idea of the probability of going thru the locks? If the group decides to turn back would there be some who might go ahead thru the locks? Obviously the main attraction for me is the locks! Although with Duck Boat wakes and some wind that part of the Charles can be a bit frothy.

Cathy-I would love to join you if the weather doesn't deteriorate. Do you have an idea of the probability of going thru the locks? If the group decides to turn back would there be some who might go ahead thru the locks? Obviously the main attraction for me is the locks! Although with Duck Boat wakes and some wind that part of the Charles can be a bit frothy.

So far, only two others have replied they are coming and they also want to go all the way into the harbor, so I imagine that if there are some that don't want to go through, the group will split at that point. The weather does look "iffy" for Saturday.

Unfortunately, due to a conflict with work, I will not make this paddle. However, it looks like 5 people from Seacoast kayakers and 3 from NSPN are going...have a great trip and sorry I can't make it.

This trip was originally scheduled for Seacoast Kayakers. Any NSPN'er is welcome to join us.

Launch From: Artesane Park, 1234 Soldier Field Road, Brighton, MA

Date: Aug. 9th, 2008

Time: 11:00 a.m. (will not wait for stragglers)

Route: Charles River downstream through the locks and into Boston Harbor

Total Distance: 15 miles

Launch at Artesani Park in Brighton...paddle down the Charles River to Boston Harbor, through the locks...if the group chooses to go that far. Paddle past Harvard U, Boston University, through the Esplanade ponds, past the Museum of Science, under the Zakim Bridge and into Boston Harbor and return trip. Bring some cash to stop for lunch or ice cream!

This trip will definitely be more than 3 hours. Total distance (round trip is 15 miles) all flat, non-tidal water, except outside the locks. The group may choose to turn around at the Musuem of Science, in which case the trip is 11 miles.

Does anyone know what the protocall is for signaling the lock operator? Does he/she respond to VHF radio calls and if so what channel?

Channel 13. It's posted on most bridges.

-Jason

I took a drive down there yesterday, there are 4 parking lots in that area. I think the one we will be using will be #4 marked Theater, its the largest lot, close to the water and has public rest rooms.

Bill H

I took a drive down there yesterday, there are 4 parking lots in that area. I think the one we will be using will be #4 marked Theater, its the largest lot, close to the water and has public rest rooms.

Bill H

Programming the GPS now. Hope to see you all at 11!

Larry