Ocean Paddle from North Beach Hampton NH

NPSheehan

Date: Saturday July 26, 2008

Time: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm

This is an open ocean paddle therefore you must be in a sea kayak or sit-on-top. If using a sea kayak, a sprayskirt is highly recommended and your skill level should be level 2 or better. A life vest PFD is mandatory as well as other appropriate safety gear such as pump, paddle float etc..

The launch site is in a protected cove and usually very calm. Outside the cove you could experience some breakers and swells depending on the wind conditions. North Beach is a prime surf area so those who want to play in the surf can have some fun in the late afternoon. Those who don't you can paddle in relative safe mild surf in the cove. This is a great location for developing various skills depending on conditions. There are opportunities for surf play, rock gardening etc. Low Tide is mid-day "noon" so the day will increase in excitement as the tide comes in in the afternoon.

There is a nice beach at the launch site so feel free to bring a beach chair and relax if you want. If conditions are good we can paddle over to Plaice Cove and stop at the Beach Plum for Ice Cream then head up along the coast towards Jeness Beach in North Hampton or Rye Harbor.

Reply if you are interested in attending this event. The PPPO will be at my place on North Beach where we'll have a pot luck BBQ.

Directions:

From Rt. 95 North or South Take Exit 2 Hampton NH Exit then stay left onto Route 101 East. Then take first exit Rt.27 East "Exeter Road" towards Hampton. You will come to a set of lights with Old Salt Restaurant on left. Continue straight through intersection onto High Street. Follow High Street till you get to the Ocean. The Bicentennial Park is directly in front of you. Turn left at lights and launch site is on right at North end of park. There is parking across the street once you unload your boat.

See map link below fro more detailed directions from your location

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=13

Neil

Neil I'm so bummed I'm not going to be able to make either trip! Nuts! Thanks so much for posting trips - I will definitely attend the next one! Great to meet you and the other sea coast kayakers on Sunday!

Glad to see there is some interest building in this event. I've also posted it with Seacoast Kayakers so we should have a nice group. It is also open to all ability levels as the less experienced can play in the protected waters of the cove or stay closer to shore. If this balmy hot weather continues until next weekend it will be good to get out and play in the ocean. I'll send an update middle of next week as to weather forecast.

Neil

Would like to attend my first trip. I've been kayaking for 3 years, rivers, lakes, open ocean(calm), and coves. Will try out my sit-on-top for playing in surf. Have all necessary safety equip. see you then.

Date: Saturday July 26, 2008

Time: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm

This is an open ocean paddle therefore you must be in a sea kayak or sit-on-top. If using a sea kayak, a sprayskirt is highly recommended and your skill level should be level 2 or better. A life vest PFD is mandatory as well as other appropriate safety gear such as pump, paddle float etc..

The launch site is in a protected cove and usually very calm. Outside the cove you could experience some breakers and swells depending on the wind conditions. North Beach is a prime surf area so those who want to play in the surf can have some fun in the late afternoon. Those who don't you can paddle in relative safe mild surf in the cove. This is a great location for developing various skills depending on conditions. There are opportunities for surf play, rock gardening etc. Low Tide is mid-day "noon" so the day will increase in excitement as the tide comes in in the afternoon.

There is a nice beach at the launch site so feel free to bring a beach chair and relax if you want. If conditions are good we can paddle over to Plaice Cove and stop at the Beach Plum for Ice Cream then head up along the coast towards Jeness Beach in North Hampton or Rye Harbor.

Reply if you are interested in attending this event. The PPPO will be at my place on North Beach where we'll have a pot luck BBQ.

Directions:

From Rt. 95 North or South Take Exit 2 Hampton NH Exit then stay left onto Route 101 East. Then take first exit Rt.27 East "Exeter Road" towards Hampton. You will come to a set of lights with Old Salt Restaurant on left. Continue straight through intersection onto High Street. Follow High Street till you get to the Ocean. The Bicentennial Park is directly in front of you. Turn left at lights and launch site is on right at North end of park. There is parking across the street once you unload your boat.

See map link below fro more detailed directions from your location

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=13

Neil

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrows weather looks like it will be the same as today only without the possible T Storms. Winds will be light to moderate out of the South increasing by the afternoon. The cove is very protected so those who want to play in the cove and practice skills etc. will have fun. If the winds don't get too bad in the afternoon a nice paddle South would be along North Beach to Boars Head or North to Plaice Cove for a Ice Cream at the Beach Plum. For the rock gardeners there are some fun spots as well as some surf near the offshore ledges.

Forecast for Coastal Rockingham, New Hampshire

Dated: 352 AM EDT FRI JUL 25 2008 Expires: 600 PM EDT FRI JUL 25 2008

Includes the cities: Biddeford, Saco, Old Orchard Beach, Portland, South Portland, Westbrook, Portsmouth, Hampton

Saturday... Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds around 10 mph.

Check the base note for directions to the put-in. Bring your swimsuit and beach chair :) There is a bath house/changing room and restrooms at the park. A sandwich shop across the street as well.

Neil

Neil,

I just arranged child care for tomorrow's event so I am planning on being there for the 11am launch. I won't be able to hang around afterwards for the PPPO BBQ, although I hate to miss a good time so maybe one Corona (still left over from Warren Island) is in order. :drinkinBuddies:

Betty

My posting for a paddle around Rockport this weekend has, so far, been met by thunderous silence so I'd like to join you guys tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Blaine B.

Im going to try to make this trip as well.

Is there going to be separate groups heading to different locations? In other words a beginners group in the cove and a separate group to paddle the gardens and surf.

Potluck was mentioned from the original post...are people bring stuff for all or are we just having regular do-it-yourself lunch?

I see 2-4 foot seas predicted off shore..maybe the surf will be decent

John

Sorry..i should read more carefully..potluck afterwards.

is anyone bring short boats to surf in?

Glad to see there is a good sized group coming. I'm looking out from my deck now and the seas are calm and it's sunny and warming up. Bring your beach chairs and swimsuit along with your kayak. OH and don't forget the sunblock :) Betty we'll have a cold one for ya after the paddle. For those coming to the BBQ at may place after the paddle you can wash off your boats and yourselves.

See ya at 11.. Might want to bring some quarters just incase the free parking lot is full and you need to feed those hungry meters. .25 for 10 minutes.

Neil

Yesterday's Ocean Paddle was a fun time with a mix of conditions over the day. Some paddled down to Boars Head and others played in the cove and practiced towing, boat control and capsize recoveries. We even helped and taught a stranger how to get back into her boat after she capsized in the outer surf. Later in the day the wind kicked up and with an incoming tide made for some lumpy stuff and good surf near skull rock. I have some great photos I'll share soon of the boys surfing.

Great turn out with 19 people

Neil

Yesterday's Ocean Paddle was a fun time with a mix of conditions over the day. Some paddled down to Boars Head and others played in the cove and practiced towing, boat control and capsize recoveries. We even helped and taught a stranger how to get back into her boat after she capsized in the outer surf. Later in the day the wind kicked up and with an incoming tide made for some lumpy stuff and good surf near skull rock. I have some great photos I'll share soon of the boys surfing.

Neil

It was a very enjoyable day at the beach. Thanks for getting it together Neil.

I had a lot of fun yesterday playing in surf. My son, Patrick, was better at it than I was. I guess I will make every effort to get to a training lesson to learn and practice getting back in my boat after a capsize. Yes, I am the stranger who received much needed help to get back into her boat. Thank you everyone that helped. The PFD is now, and always will be, tight! :rolleyes:

See you at the next training.

Linda

Neil

Hi Linda,

I'm glad you came along with your son and had fun. I didn't realize you came for the event as I didn't see you with us on the beach prior to launching. Sorry we didn't get introduced beforehand. Welcome to NSPN! Check out the skill sessions on the calendar they are a great way to meet and make new kayaking friends and learn skills.

Neil

Neil,

It was good to meet some of the NH and Seacoast folks, and the surf was a blast.

Many thanks for organizing this, and for the fun PPPO afterwards. But how'd you arrange for the Gulf Stream to swing north and give us that bathwater?

Blaine

It wasn't the Gulf Stream it's the outlet from the Seabrook Nuclear Plant that warmed the water. Didn't you notice your equipment glowing in the dark that night after the paddle? :)