Paddling Alone

After reading all the post to Leon's question about the Roll-Aid and comments about paddling alone, I like to make one statement.

When people paddle alone, it's a personal choice they make. Most of NSPN'ers and other kayakers understand the inherent risk associated with kayaking. It's really nobody else's business but their's if they choose to paddle alone or with a group. I think it's wrong when people make post that "imply" that those that paddle alone are stupid or something bad is sure to happen. Kayaking is different things to different people. Some have a higher risk tolerance than others. Some do all that is possible to minimize the risk, although they are fully aware it always remains. This is America...people can chose for themselves what is best for them.

Paddling alone is one of those things that I will confess to with some measure of guilt, but it has its pleasures. It does contain a higher degree of risk, and it's important to practice rolls, and all sorts of self rescues in conditions over and over again, and exercise a greater degree of caution when assessing conditions, and the wisdom of going on versus turning back. But, having said that, there's a degree of connection with my environment that I feel that I wouldn't get ordinarily.

Here's a quote from Colin Fletcher, the famous author who wrote extensively about backpacking - note that this appeared in early editions of his book on backpacking, but was deleted in later editions:

------------------------------------------------------------------

. . . if you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances, go on long hikes alone. Don't take short hikes alone either -- or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love, or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs. Wear wool next to the skin. Insure your every good and chattel against every conceivable contingency the future might bring, even if the premiums cripple the present.

Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see that all roads are clear for miles. And never, of course, explore the guts of an idea that seems as if it might threaten one of your more cherished beliefs. If you avoid all such traps you will probably, in your wisdom, live to a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd typically chose to paddle with companions when possible, but there is something marvelous about being alone with my thoughts on the water. This is not to say that one should be foolhardy - know what you're doing and what you're getting into. Go slow and exercise more caution than you might ordinarily do - still, it can be very liberating.

After reading all the post to Leon's question about the Roll-Aid and comments about paddling alone, I like to make one statement.

When people paddle alone, it's a personal choice they make. Most of NSPN'ers and other kayakers understand the inherent risk associated with kayaking. It's really nobody else's business but their's if they choose to paddle alone or with a group. I think it's wrong when people make post that "imply" that those that paddle alone are stupid or something bad is sure to happen. Kayaking is different things to different people. Some have a higher risk tolerance than others. Some do all that is possible to minimize the risk, although they are fully aware it always remains. This is America...people can chose for themselves what is best for them.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showto...;hl=cathy+foley

Cathy, you're the same person that questioned whether or not PHYSICALLY stopping a stranger was an appropriate course of action because you deemed to know better than they did....and that stretch of shore hasn't changed hands in awhile...you were still in america.

so now you suggest we move away from not only NOT physically stopping people, but even from questioning them or maybe trying to have them look at something from a different angle?

i don't remember anyone saying or even implying that anyone was stupid but agree with your sentiment. risk is/should be a personal decision.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showto...;hl=cathy+foley

Cathy, you're the same person that questioned whether or not PHYSICALLY stopping a stranger was an appropriate course of action because you deemed to know better than they did....and that stretch of shore hasn't changed hands in awhile...you were still in america.

so now you suggest we move away from not only NOT physically stopping people, but even from questioning them or maybe trying to have them look at something from a different angle?

i don't remember anyone saying or even implying that anyone was stupid but agree with your sentiment. risk is/should be a personal decision.

Rick:

I have never stopped anyone from launching. If you recall, I did try to persuade the lady not to launch that day, but I did not stop her. I did ask the group on the board a hypothetical question, giving what I thought were four choices, with choices at each end of the sprectrum. I was curious to see what others would do. However, your comment to Leon, (and others who read this) " I'd get a road id bracelet with your name/ emergency contact phone #. Won't help with any rescue but it's good for the recovery. I wear one and I won't do what you do...seems like a reasonable step" to me implies that you think Leon and others that paddle alone will end up dead. There is just no need to "beat people up" on the message board. You have lots of good to offer to the group...the comments implying people are doing stupid things just because you don't agree are not appreciated, at least by me.

I tried to make the point that if there is one thing you are counting on which makes you feel safe going out alone, that maybe you should not go.

You should have a whole boat full of things that make you feel comfortable going out.

The first thing you need is located just above your shoulders. You need the judgment to know when you are well within your limits and abilities to handle. At this point if you think there is a very real possibility that you may actually need to use any of your other gear beyond a boat, paddle and spray skirt, your best bet is to plan some other trip.

Next you need the skills to keep you out of trouble. You should be able to read the weather and water and know where is more risky. You should have the ability to sit in the boat comfortably without bracing. You should be able to paddle and make progress in any direction and particularly towards some place safe.

You now should have contingency plans. If the conditions get rougher you should be able to brace instinctively and naturally without impeding your ability to make forward progress in any direction. If you don't feel absolutely confident that the risk of capsizing is nearly zero you should probably not go out alone.

Now you need secondary contingency plans for if the conditions get worse yet. You should know where good bail out points are so you can cut short your trip. You should also have some well tested and practiced, reliable self rescue method, a roll being the best bet, but if the water is warm and you are close to shore, swimming with your boat may be OK.

Now is when you start thinking about gear. If you seriously think you might need to use any of the gear your best bet is to stay ashore, you are way beyond your ability level. Gear such as a PFDs, paddle floats, VHFs, dry suits, Roll-Aids, etc are for when things really get bad. If you think there is more than like a 1% chance that any one piece of gear will be required to get home at the end of the day, you are probably pushing the envelope of your ability to paddle solo.

Gear is your contingency plan that backs up your contingency plan that protects your contingency plan in case things get a little worse than you expected when you left the beach.

So, when I say "if you would not go out with gear item "X", you probably shouldn't go out" it is in this context. If you feel that some piece of gear is an important and significant part of what is keeping you safe you are probably beyond your safe zone already. I will even say the same of rolling. If you think there is a very real possibility that your life will depend on your ability to roll on any given day, you should probably find something else to do that day. If you go out in those circumstances you are pushing yourself well beyond your margin of safety. Chances are you will live to paddle another day, but you aren't leaving yourself much room for error.

Rick:

I have never stopped anyone from launching. If you recall, I did try to persuade the lady not to launch that day, but I did not stop her. I did ask the group on the board a hypothetical question, giving what I thought were four choices, with choices at each end of the sprectrum. I was curious to see what others would do. However, your comment to Leon, (and others who read this) " I'd get a road id bracelet with your name/ emergency contact phone #. Won't help with any rescue but it's good for the recovery. I wear one and I won't do what you do...seems like a reasonable step" to me implies that you think Leon and others that paddle alone will end up dead. There is just no need to "beat people up" on the message board. You have lots of good to offer to the group...the comments implying people are doing stupid things just because you don't agree are not appreciated, at least by me.

no you didn't prevent anyone from launching. what you tried to do was stop someone from launching because you thought you knew better and that you were upset enough when she didn't listen to you that you wanted to know what others would have done.

as for what i said, my comment was "I'd get a road id bracelet with your name/ emergency contact phone #. Won't help with any rescue but it's good for the recovery. I wear one and I won't do what you do...seems like a reasonable step"

no where do i see the word stupid or that he and all the others that paddle alone will end up dead. this appears to be your interpertation of what i've said. also, cathy, note the part where i said i wear one.

what i said is that "..it's good for the recovery" (although it is good for a rescue too - incapacitated, injured and unable to respond) but okay, going with what i said only, you could just as easilly read that if it's greater risk you have chosen to take then you may want to consider this other step...a step that someone who won't take the risks you are willing to take (alone, cold weather, gear-centric) has taken.

he's not stupid....he accepts a greater/different level of risk.

Cathy,

I think Leon can take care of himself and said so in rebutal to some of the advise he didn't appreciate. You seem to appreciate our freedom to make choices whatever they may be and I do too. You just don't appreciate the same freedom of speech or thought or ideas if they happen to disturb you. I thought the ID bracelet comment was a thoughtful suggestion. I often go for bike rides and my spouse inquires if I have ID with me. She's not implying that I'm stupid to be riding in traffic, just that she'd like to be notified if something bad happens. Even in America we don't just live in our own little bubble. The thoughts and ideas of others can help and influence our decisions even unconsciously through so called conventional wisdom. Seakayaking is a wonderful but potentially dangerous sport. Maybe Leon doesn't need to be reminded of this but others, perhaps newbies perusing the very threads that you find objectionable might learn something that could be invaluable someday.

I am wondering about the tone of this thread. I think we should discuss ideas, not people. If we wish to say something directly to/at a person, I suggest we use personal email. I suggest that the tone and direction of discussion groups rarely gains from posts directed at individuals.

On the other hand, the NSPN web site has been wonderful in its candid discussion of errors and techniques. Many members have been open about situations that did not work out well, and responders have made suggestions and asked questions that have added to the discussion.

For what it is worth.

Al

Gear is your contingency plan that backs up your contingency plan that protects your contingency plan in case things get a little worse than you expected when you left the beach.

Thank you for cogently articulating the point of view, with which I agree, that safety gear does not make you safe and does not provide safety. Rather it hopefully provides the means to make the consequences of being unsafe less severe, but I suppose it depends on how you define "safe" and "safety".

Ed Lawson

I tried to make the point that if there is one thing you are counting on which makes you feel safe going out alone, that maybe you should not go.

You should have a whole boat full of things that make you feel comfortable going out.

The first thing you need is located just above your shoulders. You need the judgment to know when you are well within your limits and abilities to handle. At this point if you think there is a very real possibility that you may actually need to use any of your other gear beyond a boat, paddle and spray skirt, your best bet is to plan some other trip.

Next you need the skills to keep you out of trouble. You should be able to read the weather and water and know where is more risky. You should have the ability to sit in the boat comfortably without bracing. You should be able to paddle and make progress in any direction and particularly towards some place safe.

You now should have contingency plans. If the conditions get rougher you should be able to brace instinctively and naturally without impeding your ability to make forward progress in any direction. If you don't feel absolutely confident that the risk of capsizing is nearly zero you should probably not go out alone.

Now you need secondary contingency plans for if the conditions get worse yet. You should know where good bail out points are so you can cut short your trip. You should also have some well tested and practiced, reliable self rescue method, a roll being the best bet, but if the water is warm and you are close to shore, swimming with your boat may be OK.

Now is when you start thinking about gear. If you seriously think you might need to use any of the gear your best bet is to stay ashore, you are way beyond your ability level. Gear such as a PFDs, paddle floats, VHFs, dry suits, Roll-Aids, etc are for when things really get bad. If you think there is more than like a 1% chance that any one piece of gear will be required to get home at the end of the day, you are probably pushing the envelope of your ability to paddle solo.

So, when I say "if you would not go out with gear item "X", you probably shouldn't go out" it is in this context. If you feel that some piece of gear is an important and significant part of what is keeping you safe you are probably beyond your safe zone already. I will even say the same of rolling. If you think there is a very real possibility that your life will depend on your ability to roll on any given day, you should probably find something else to do that day. If you go out in those circumstances you are pushing yourself well beyond your margin of safety. Chances are you will live to paddle another day, but you aren't leaving yourself much room for error.

Well thought out and well said!

I remember my first solo camping trip a few years ago. At the beach and had a water bottle failure ( I had more), VHF radio failure - just stopped working, then the third thing was that the chart I bought at DeLorme was the wrong one (classic mistake of getting the one in the labeled bin but someone had put in the wrong bin). I decided if I couldn't rectify at least one of the problems, I wouldn't go. Luckily, at the put in, there was a small marina (Muscongus) where I was able to buy the correct chart. I hurriedly set our for Black Island as the fog was settling in....

Anytime I go solo, I am wary and cautious. Although I don't do it very often, it is definitely something I enjoy.

Suz

Well said.

$0.02 worth here. I agree that the aesthetics of solo paddling are worth the additional risks, even while acknowledging the additional risks. Clearly, I have a totally different tolerance for risk paddling solo vs in a group (as well as different risk appetites for paddling with different groups of friends). Skills, equipment, route, conditions all weigh into this. It is really no different than solo hiking or backpacking, which I am also partial to (and indulge in regularly).

I also don't see the disconnect between taking risk oneself and warning others whom are clearly ignorant. Example: if I see somebody launching solo under conditions - after outfitting with proper equipment and launching with impeccable skill - I may decide that they have chosen a different risk tradeoff than I would, but I would not presume to lecture them on risk...they likely know as much or more than I do. On the other hand, if I see somebody clumsily getting ready to launch a barge under bad conditions w/o PFD or sprayskirt, I'll take the risk of social faux pas to make a comment or two - I don't mind being rude and I like to think there is the chance that they would appreciate a word on safety when it might matter.

These are all judgement calls, and of course we will all fall into different zones, but I'm guessing that we can at least appreciate each other's educated judgements.

<<FYI, John quoted Colin Fletcher, but didn't give history....Colin Fletcher, for those of you unfortunate enough not to have read him, was one of the first, and still the most literary, of those to tackle long endurance hikes and write about them. His book, "The Man Who Walked Through Time" is still immensely enjoyable...about his solo experience as the first to hike (solo or otherwise) the length of the Grand Canyon. One of his recent adventures concerned breaking away from his trusty hiking boots to learn how to row....then floating down the Green / Colorado system from the source in the Wind Rivers all the way to Baja.....at the age of 67. Fun stuff. A cousin gave me a copy of "The Complete Walker" (one of the first "how to" backpacking books) (the brand new first edition with John's quote) when I was about 12 and just starting to venture out into the Sierra.....lifechanging and all that. Mr. Fletcher died last year, sorry to report.>>

There were many good point made in the "failed roll" thread and in this one. However, with all due respect to all: pontification, pontification, pontification... enough already.

My Five Cents:

1. I understand risk/reward probably better than most (if not all) of you. I made a living at it (radar signal processing and optimization for missile defense design) and still do while retired (risk/reward analysis for financial derivatives).

2. Please let me make my own risk/reward calculations. I don't think I need help.

3. I've either solo sailed, windsurfed, canoed, rowed, kayaked, bicycle road raced (NEBC Fugi Racing Team), swam (trained for an English Channel swim) since before most of you were born. I've practiced kayaking skills for over 15 years. Give safety lectures to novices that need it, not to me. I've read and talked to the same experts as you have.

4. Perceived risks govern human behavior more than actual risks. The most dangerous thing I do is to ride my racing bike on the roads of MA. The second most dangerous thing I do is drive to the putin for a solo paddle (or drive anywhere).

5. Obviously and generally, it's safer to paddle with a group. Curiously, however, only once did I feel I was in real danger. Paddling with a group off of Singer Island, FL a VHF weather alert warned of thunder storms within 45 minutes. Alone I could have made it back to my car in less than 1/2 hour (way before the lightening started). With the group it took over 1 hour to make it back, with lightening for the last twenty minutes of the trip.

Oh, I forgot to mention one factor in the original "failed roll" post. There were probably two reasons I failed my combat roll. The first I mentioned already (not enough experience rolling with the wing). The second is that I had my fishing pole mounted in the front of my PFD. Although I've rolled with the fishing pole before (large bluefish occasionally capsize me), it is much more difficult to roll with this obstruction in the way.

Perceived risks govern human behavior more than actual risks.

This pretty much sums it up. When paddling solo, our perception of risk is unbiased by others, and we generally believe what we are perceiving under any given situation (perception closely approximates reality/truth).

Life is short; keep paddling, solo or otherwise.

Although late in this conversation, I can certainly vouch for Leon's self-sufficiency: I have been paddling with him for at least ten years in all sorts of big conditions -- he hardly needs my defence; but he is certainly well-able to look after himself. Whoopee, Leon! Good fortune next Saturday.

Like to paddle with friends but really love to paddle alone---but I'm a lot more careful about things(distance of crossings, weather, etc) when I'm out by myself---Paddled from the sears island causeway to Sprague's beach just south of Turtle head on Islesboro saturday---some risk in a 2.5--3 mile crossing but the weather was fine, forecast good, had all the right equipment, and had been practicing my rolls recently. Had a great time and a good paddle.