Wilderness First Aid and CPR

I'm thinking about setting up a SOLO WFA/CPR course. Would anyone be interested? I believe the cost would amount to a minimum of $150 per person. Please post here or send email to gauge interest. We would need about 12 people to make it happen and I know we have three already.

Todd is available May 3/4. If you are interested, please email me to confirm that date.

We have more than the minimum needed now; however, more are welcome.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Mar 11 2008, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking about setting up a SOLO WFA/CPR course. Would anyone be interested? I believe the cost would amount to a minimum of $150 per person. Please post here or send email to gauge interest. We would need about 12 people to make it happen and I know we have three already.

Count me in.

Greetings,

I will be teaching a SOLO WFA at Saint Michael's College on the weekend of April 19-20. SOLO is offerings new course SOLO WFA H2O. We have spent a great deal of time tweaking this curriculum and we are finally happy with it (thank you to folks like Peter Brady that sat through some of the Beta classes). The problem is that I am the only person green lighted to teach it, none the less I do have availability some availability this spring and we could offer the course down in NSPN territory.

The WFA H2O was created as a response to feedback from paddlers of all types who at the end of a WFA said "great course but I don't carry a backpack when playing and working and getting someone to an appropriate care environment requires getting them to shore." Therefore, the folks at SOLO and I sat down and looked at the differences. The WFA H2O looks a lot like a WFA but focuses on the management of injury and illness in a marine environment. The course spends a bit more time discussing common paddle related injuries, the scenarios are water based, and folks wear and manage scenarios with paddle specific gear. All of the practical work happens at the waters edge so the course is appropriate for all disciplines and ability levels.

CPR is not included but can be added on the evening before or after class the first night (makes for a long day). Generally, inexpensive CPR courses can be found locally through the Red Cross, American Heart Association, Local Recreation Resources, YMCA, Rescue Squads etc...

If you have questions contact me at 802.654.2614 or twright@smcvt.edu.

Just FYI, there's WFA classes at Boston Univ. fitness center starting next week open to all. 125$ for ~6weeks/ 4hours per week. Mondays 6-10 or Tuesdays 6-10.

See here: http://fitrec.bu.edu/programs/emt/eflexd.asp

Actually, now that I look, they're just listing tuesday nights.

Phil

I would highly recommend SOLO and Todd Wright. Great outfit, and it's great to take a class that is designed for watersports. In this setting, kayak related situations (such as dislocated shoulders, & hypothermia, and moving ijured persons ) may be more emphasized. And doing the work at waters edge, or in the water, is of great value.

Also: taking wilderness first aid is vastly preferable (IMO) to standard first aid. Standard first aid emphasizes stabilizing a patient until EMT's arrive ("the golden hour"), where wilderness first aid gets into treating a patient where help cannot be counted on to arrive soon ("the golden day" ) , which is, of course, a scenario more likely to confront kayakers.

The WFR is a great class, it's exhausting and it pushes you, but it's well worth it.

The scenarios were very realistic, how does a night time (11:00pm) rescue on a beach sound?

My last recertification was fun, I got to distribute the fake vomit from a head injury (ICP) patient. Ahh the smell of orange juice and parmesan cheese :-)

I would be interested in WFA (without the CPR) depending on the dates. I believe the CPR is in addition to the 16 hours of WFA (ie the Friday evening prior to the course), but if that is not the case, please let me know.

Gay

I would highly recommend SOLO and Todd Wright. Great outfit, and it's great to take a class that is designed for watersports. In this setting, kayak related situations (such as dislocated shoulders, & hypothermia, and moving ijured persons ) may be more emphasized. And doing the work at waters edge, or in the water, is of great value.

Also: taking wilderness first aid is vastly preferable (IMO) to standard first aid. Standard first aid emphasizes stabilizing a patient until EMT's arrive ("the golden hour"), where wilderness first aid gets into treating a patient where help cannot be counted on to arrive soon ("the golden day" ) , which is, of course, a scenario more likely to confront kayakers.

Sorry if anyone thought I might be disparaging SOLO by suggesting another option. They're a great organization that's been doing backcountry and rescue skills training at least since I was in college in the early eighties. The WFA H20 appears ideal for kayakers. And while I dont have a clue about the numbers for water rescues, the golden hour versus golden day scenario strongly applies to anyone stepping off the beaten path. Standard wisdom for land based backcountry rescue is that it will take ~ 1 hour for every 1/4 mile you travel away from a road.

And if I dont take it this spring through my employer, I'd be interested in WFA or WFA H20.

Phil

The only dates I currently have available for a WFA H2O is May 3-4. We are offering a number of other SOLO Wilderness Medical Courses here in Vermont, they are listed in Commercial Classified.

Cheers, Todd

For those who posted interest, please send me an email to confirm you can do it and I'll coordinate with Todd.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Mar 11 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Todd is available May 3/4. If you are interested, please email me to confirm that date.

UPDATE 3/17 WE HAVE 4 EMAIL CONFIRMATIONS...NEED 8 MORE

UPDATE 3/18 WE HAVE 6 EMAIL CONFIRMATIONS...NEED 6 MORE

UPDATE 3/19 WE HAVE 8 EMAIL CONFIRMATIONS...NEED 4 MORE

We're looking for just four more! Anyone else interested?