Richard Thompson...

Pintail

I am not nearly as polite as our President; neither am I half-as-conscientious regarding "waveband width" as Miz Beckers (I cannot see how a subject can be wasteful of waveband width when there is no declared topic, you, whatsyername? Something you wrote the other day...); but I <am> wanting to mention to others that the afore-mentioned Mr. Thompson will be appearing at Nock Middle School, Newburyport on Saturday 12th April and <I think> that everyone should try to hear him (being the unmitigated fan that I am!).

When I first came to The States, his albums used to carry a sticker, saying something like "Britain's best-kept musical secret"; but nowadays his gigs are usually sell-outs.

I know there are others who read this message-board who are also fans of RT (Mr. Crouse, Mr. Cooper, et al), so I shall hope to see you there.

<Is> there any rule, in fact, that states that all posts here must be kayaking-related? Surely this is our club communication system? Maybe RT is also a sea-kayaker? Ha ha!

I am not nearly as polite as our President; neither am I half-as-conscientious regarding "waveband width" as Miz Beckers (I cannot see how a subject can be wasteful of waveband width when there is no declared topic, you, whatsyername? Something you wrote the other day...); but I <am> wanting to mention to others that the afore-mentioned Mr. Thompson will be appearing at Nock Middle School, Newburyport on Saturday 12th April and <I think> that everyone should try to hear him (being the unmitigated fan that I am!).

When I first came to The States, his albums used to carry a sticker, saying something like "Britain's best-kept musical secret"; but nowadays his gigs are usually sell-outs.

I know there are others who read this message-board who are also fans of RT (Mr. Crouse, Mr. Cooper, et al), so I shall hope to see you there.

<Is> there any rule, in fact, that states that all posts here must be kayaking-related? Surely this is our club communication system? Maybe RT is also a sea-kayaker? Ha ha!

RT Rules!!

Thanx for the info, :notWorthy: I'm gonna do my best to attend his show

Just found this online -- some poll of NYT readers' thoughts on "greatest guitarist ever":

EDITORS' SELECTIONS (what's this?) February 22nd, 2008 8:17 am

Link

Others will argue for Jimi Hendrix or maybe Segovia, but I think for sheer inventiveness on the instrument, combining technique with a wide range of interesting and novel musical thoughts, Richard Thompson is the best guitarist ever.

He's certainly the best non-blues based rock guitarist ever, but his folk and acoustic guitar is second to none. And his knowledge of the history of the form is untouchable.

Start with his album "Rumor and Sigh" and work forward from there.

— Kurt, Los Angeles

Recommend Recommended by 184 Readers

Yes, good man, Sal: thanks.

Beckers, RT is simply one of the greatest singer-songwriters anywhere!

And...I would have to add..that he's quite unique. It was the song "Vincent Black Lightning 1952" that drew me in and made me a fan. Such rich imagery from simple lyrics. "Red hair and black leather...my favorite color scheme" Now if that doesn't paint a picture I don't know what does. And I'm sure that those who have checked his website noticed the distinctly nautical theme...so I think we're on solid ground here....or maybe more correctly...calm seas.

Aw heck, I'll jump in, here. His first major innovation (to my knowledge) was to be a founding member of the folk-rock group Fairport Convention. They did some unique electric covers of British folk tunes, and he also wrote a lot of great songs that had a medieval feel to them. Later on, he struck off on his own, sometimes touring with his wife, Linda.

A kayak connection - I think some of his tunes are about the ocean. Does that work?

'"<Is> there any rule, in fact, that states that all posts here must be kayaking-related? Surely this is our club communication system? Maybe RT is also a sea-kayaker? Ha ha!"'

I agree with you Christopher. But unless the Present Administration in Washington, DC, the Presidential Primary candidates and Jesus, the Buddha, Krishna, the Prophet Mohammed and Moses paddle, a discussion of politics and religion aren't really relevent here :lol:

Just my opinion of course.

That said, Richard Thompson is fantastic and I've always been a fan of Fairport Convention, especially the late Sandy Denny.

Deb M. :surf::roll:

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Mar 5 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does he have a website link for those who have no idea who he is can check it out? :thinking:

Kevin:

Look at who is posting: I think it's a generational thing. I know, I'm one of them.

Scott

Just found this online -- some poll of NYT readers' thoughts on "greatest guitarist ever":

EDITORS' SELECTIONS (what's this?) February 22nd, 2008 8:17 am

Link

Others will argue for Jimi Hendrix or maybe Segovia, but I think for sheer inventiveness on the instrument, combining technique with a wide range of interesting and novel musical thoughts, Richard Thompson is the best guitarist ever.

He's certainly the best non-blues based rock guitarist ever, but his folk and acoustic guitar is second to none. And his knowledge of the history of the form is untouchable.

Start with his album "Rumor and Sigh" and work forward from there.

— Kurt, Los Angeles

Recommend Recommended by 184 Readers

Best Guitarist Ever??

OK, RT is one of my faves but Best guitarist ever?

Not Even close!!

Best folk rock singer/songwriter ever, Mabey...

He has done so many great songs.

The song "Beeswing" is one of my all time favorites, right up there with Tim Buckleys "Song of the siren"

Oh and if you wanna hear awesome guitar, how about Django Reinhardt or even John Mclaughlin

Or how about The amazing killswitch guitar anthem "Jordan" by Buckethead or the highly underated late great Frank Zappa The list goes on and on..

Michael -- of course I have the Free Reed set! I believe I have <all> his albums, except for bootlegs made at various gigs. Also every Fairport Convention album; also every Sandy Denny album. Then, there is Steeleye Span...oh, and The Albion Band...and...never mind!

Michael -- of course I have the Free Reed set! I believe I have <all> his albums, except for bootlegs made at various gigs. Also every Fairport Convention album; also every Sandy Denny album. Then, there is Steeleye Span...oh, and The Albion Band...and...never mind!

Pintail,

Hope I can make it this time around. Any idea where to get tickets?

Hope he is doing a mix of songs because I certainly would like to hear Vincent and others I forget the names of.....

Assigned or open seating? I'd be solo I believe....

Paul

Pintail,

Hope I can make it this time around. Any idea where to get tickets?

Hope he is doing a mix of songs because I certainly would like to hear Vincent and others I forget the names of.....

Assigned or open seating? I'd be solo I believe....

Paul

I'd say it's going to be open seating. If you go to RT's website there's a link for tickets online...and Dyno records in Newburyport often times has tickets for local shows like that

You forgot Pentangle. Is there a correlation between kayaking and british folk bands?

Paul, Our local music shop is, indeed, selling tickets and I'll gladly buy yours if you say the word. I may have one or two friends with me -- and I am sure the Crouses will try to be there. I <like> Nock school: it's a good venue and he has played there previously. (Yes, open seating)

In addition, I see he is playing Passim in Cambridge the next night, Sunday 13th. and I might be in attendance there, too! A person can't hear too much of RT, right?

Have any of you fans heard him with his son? <That's> a treat: Teddy has the sweetness of voice of his mother and the experience of hearing father and son together is not far-removed from the Richard-and-Linda days.

Paul, Our local music shop is, indeed, selling tickets and I'll gladly buy yours if you say the word. I may have one or two friends with me -- and I am sure the Crouses will try to be there. I <like> Nock school: it's a good venue and he has played there previously. (Yes, open seating)

In addition, I see he is playing Passim in Cambridge the next night, Sunday 13th. and I might be in attendance there, too! A person can't hear too much of RT, right?

Have any of you fans heard him with his son? <That's> a treat: Teddy has the sweetness of voice of his mother and the experience of hearing father and son together is not far-removed from the Richard-and-Linda days.

Can you send me a mail at psylatmetrocast.net

I don't believe I have your current address....

One ticket, check is in the mail...

Note the time I'm sending this, busy as heck, need water bad.

thanks,

Paul

• 7 months later...

The show at Newburyport has been rescheduled for this Saturday night 10/18. Is anyone else going? Joyce and I were going to pop into an undetermined local gin joint (open to suggestions) prior to the show if anyone cares to join us.

Sat, 18 October 2008 Newburyport, MA Nock Auditorium (978) 462-9630

mktix.com/heptunes

Nock Auditorium

RT Solo

Rescheduled from April 12, 2008

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/tour.asp

• 3 months later...
You forgot Pentangle. Is there a correlation between kayaking and british folk bands?

I vaguely remembered lyrics to a song by the Pentangle called "Lord Franklin" , a traditional British song with a maritime theme , but the lyrics by John Renbourn (or was it Bert Jansch ) are kind of muddy and hard to hear. I looked it up. Its about a voyage to northern regions, from which a ship never returns:

Through cruel hardships they vainly strove

Their ships on mountains of ice was drove

Only the Eskimo with his skin canoe

Was the only one that ever came through

In Baffin's Bay where the whale fish blow

The fate of Franklin no man may know

The fate of Franklin no tongue can tell

Lord Franklin among his seamen do dwell.

Peter, you should read up on the Franklin expedition -- it was really interesting. There have been any number of tv documentaries about it in recent years, after some graves were found several years ago. National Geographic also ran an article about it, ages ago, in which they showed photos of the corpses, perfectly-preserved. It is believed that lead poisoning was to blame for the loss of personel, as they were living on canned foods and these cans ("tins", we call them in UK) were sealed with lead solder, as far as I remember...?

There were <some> of the expedition who survived for many months and were even remembered by local eskimos, years later. This small party stayed with Inuit and continued their wanderings, I think, never to be seen again...

There were <some> of the expedition who survived for many months and were even remembered by local eskimos, years later. This small party stayed with Inuit and continued their wanderings, I think, never to be seen again...

It is an incredible tale when you read all the sources about it and those who searched for them. After reading the Arctic Grail, I searched for some of the source books and was lucky enough to find and read a few. The Inuit visited the ships when some of the crew were still alive and may have found the ships years later after they had been abandoned. Hard to know the exact timing, but the oral tradition is that years after the ships where trapped in the ice and most of the crew had died trying to escape the arctic, four crew members stumbled upon some Inuit who kept them alive over a winter and in the spring they left the village to continue their journey to "civilization". Several Americans undertook trips into the arctic to find out what happened to Franklin's men. One was a 7th cavalry officer of all things with no arctic experience who went in an effort to find the logbooks of the expedition. He actually had a productive expedition during which he lived as an Inuit and made the longest sled journey by a non-Inuit to date. Oral tradition is that the Inuit found the logbooks, but threw the papers away since they had no value to them. They were finding relics and human remains from the Franklin expedition in the 1990s

Ed Lawson

Franklin's story as written and sung by Canadian Stan Rogers in his song "Northwest Passages". I was fortunate enough to catch Stan at the now defunct Folkways in Peterboro NH just before he lost his life in an airplane accident. Like Richard Thompson and Pentangle, Stan and his brother Garnett were a treat to see. He has a number of superb tunes about the Arctic and the Maritime provinces.