Small fog horn

gyork

Any ideas where to purchase lung-powered fog horn of convenient size.

Gary:

The Orion Blaster Horn is sold in many marine stores and some kayak shops. Quite loud and field repairable although not much to go wrong. Google the name and you will find info on it. Nice thing to have in June near Deer Isle. <G> Never been there for more than three days without a fog showing up.

Ed Lawson

Any ideas where to purchase lung-powered fog horn of convenient size. Mine is oversized, borrowed from the sailboat locker.

Gary

Gary,

I bought mine from NESC. Small and effective. Can't remember the name but I think they still sell it at the shop.

Go to...

http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/Safety.asp

and scroll down or search for Safety Horn.

or

http://tinyurl.com/yo36mf

or

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=319606

Or search "safety blaster horn".

There are also various compressed-air models, like these...

http://tinyurl.com/25bn3r

which I have heard are good, but clearly cost more to operate, as they require a cartridge of some sort.

--David.

There are also various compressed-air models, like these...

http://tinyurl.com/25bn3r

which I have heard are good, but clearly cost more to operate, as they require a cartridge of some sort.

The compressed air models are loud but I've found that the cartridges tend to corrode badly after a short time in the ocean kayaking environment.

Any ideas where to purchase lung-powered fog horn of convenient size. Mine is oversized, borrowed from the sailboat locker.

Gary

The Stowmaster horn is the one to get. See online at West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...p;ci_sku=274369

It is sold online at other places but I recommend going in and getting it. Brad may be ordering these at NESC - check there.

What I like about this horn and the reason I recommend picking it up in person is that the newest model (NOT shown in the West Marine picture) actually has a plastic cover over the neoprene (not saran wrap) drum. This is the ultimate mouth powered horn and I highly recommend it. The neoprene one is OK but the neoprene is unprotected and surely will get damaged in your hatch.

I neglected to mention how loud this horn is.

Suz

The Stowmaster horn is the one to get. See online at West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...p;ci_sku=274369

It is sold online at other places but I recommend going in and getting it. Brad may be ordering these at NESC - check there.

What I like about this horn and the reason I recommend picking it up in person is that the newest model (NOT shown in the West Marine picture) actually has a plastic cover over the neoprene (not saran wrap) drum. This is the ultimate mouth powered horn and I highly recommend it. The neoprene one is OK but the neoprene is unprotected and surely will get damaged in your hatch.

I neglected to mention how loud this horn is.

Suz

I was able to find a picture of the horn:

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/ebay_imag...2k/ebay485.html

I found a few of the new style ones on ebay.

-Jason

The Stowmaster horn is the one to get. I neglected to mention how loud this horn is.

Suz

Does anyone know how the two cited horns compare, loudness-wise? I like the 90 degree offset of the mouth tube on the Stowmaster-enables one to broadcast signals aft by turning sideways.

Gary

Does anyone know how the two cited horns compare, loudness-wise? I like the 90 degree offset of the mouth tube on the Stowmaster-enables one to broadcast signals aft by turning sideways.

Time for a sound off!

Both of these are used by blowing 90 degrees from sound direction. On the Blaster you blow into a hole on the side. It is bigger, but it is rated at 120db which is loud...very loud...very, very loud. Maybe and with luck loud enough to be heard over the sound of a lobster boat engine.

Would be interesting to have a sound off just like it would be interesting to have an on water comparison of the various radios.

Ed Lawson

Gary

The nice thing about the Stowmaster is that it will nearly always work. Unlike the other brands with the cellophane or plastic over the drum, the neoprene cover is stronger and the newer models with the plastic cover over top of it, it really keeps the cover in good condition. I have had the others and then on foggy days pulled them out of the bag where they were stored only to find that the cellophane was cut. So a fog horn that works is more effective than a fog horn that doesn't.

Suz

So, is the first one below the newer one, with the orange plastic cap, while the second one shows bare black neoprene? The also appear to be shaped slightly differently -- the new one has the mouthpiece lower on the body -- correct?

--David

new?

LotImg809.jpg

old?

8634867.jpg

David - that is it exactly. Perfect pictures to show the difference. I would be reluctant to order on line due to this "minor" change . For kayakers it is significant but for other boaters, probably not a big deal. This is easy to leave in your boat w/o protection and easy to slip on when needed to have available for fog.

I first saw the old style when Jean Totts of Sweetwater showed some of her gear at a class. I ordered a dozen from West Marine at Christmas for presents and had to specify them as the new style.

Suz

do the new ones float?

:HAHApound:

No better than the old ones did!!! The new ones don't come apart though so if you have to swim for it, it is all in one piece.

I wondered if anyone would remember my fetish for fog horns!

Suz

(who once ended up swimming for the fog horn after I rolled and picked it up but it came apart. Ended up with a holed boat on that one when the cardinal rule about being down wave was ignored!)

No better than the old ones did!!! The new ones don't come apart though so if you have to swim for it, it is all in one piece.

i and any other gentleman would defend to their last breath your honor and would never, never consider your fetishes as a topic for discussion.

now christopher on the other hand....there's a lengthy fireside chat for the stout of heart 18+ crowd.

hope your well suzie-q...been awhile!

Gary

Hamilton Marine in Portland, Searsport, and Southwest Harbor sells one that is very loud and perfect for paddlers. It come with a lanyard that allows you to attach it to your PFD

Suz

(who once ended up swimming for the fog horn after I rolled and picked it up but it came apart. Ended up with a holed boat on that one when the cardinal rule about being down wave was ignored!)

Actually the new one floats, at least in the ocean.. :captain: