Kokatat EXPEDITION Drysuit w/ HOOD a good idea?

subaruguru

Hi folks. Are integrated hoods on drysuits just water collectors when not worn? I'm bidding on a new Expedition K'tat with hood and am not sure if it's an asset. Thanks for advice, and have a warm and safe Thanksgiving.

Hi folks. Are integrated hoods on drysuits just water collectors when not worn? I'm bidding on a new Expedition K'tat with hood and am not sure if it's an asset. Thanks for advice, and have a warm and safe Thanksgiving.

Hi Ernie,

There seems to be a question re: usage of this item. Seller claims it has been used only once but then in response to a question reveals that it had a previous owner. Perhaps you should ask him how many times his uncle used the suit! Good luck!

Q: The large drysuit comes with a large neck gasket - has the gasket been trimmed or is it the original untrimmed gasket? Nov-18-07

A: If it has been trimmed, it was trimmed by my wife's uncle (the suit's original owner). The gasket opening measures approx. 5" in diameter and there are 8 ribs from the opening down.

In case you haven't come to this conclusion already as long as the neck gasket is right for your neck you should be able to cut off the hood if you don't like it. I wear a hood much of the cold season though it is not usually on my head. I find it comfortable and it is more readily available that way than in a day hatch, etc. Also, check if Kokatat continues to honour warranties when a suit moves to a new owner. If you get a deal on a Kokatat suit, you get a deal on a Kokatat suit.

Hi folks. Are integrated hoods on drysuits just water collectors when not worn?

Yes. If not worn, what other use does it have except its potential use?

I have a semi dry top with a hood and it is so much fun getting that dousing from water in the hood once you have finished rolling up. OTOH there are times when a hood is nice: for example windy, chilly days when the water is not so cold you want to wear a neoprene hood and the pile hat needs a windproof barrier. I remember some days in the Great Waas in Sept. when that hooded jacket was just right. The trick with hoods is whether they interfere with looking about and all that.

Ed Lawson

Yes. If not worn, what other use does it have except its potential use?

I have a semi dry top with a hood and it is so much fun getting that dousing from water in the hood once you have finished rolling up. OTOH there are times when a hood is nice: for example windy, chilly days when the water is not so cold you want to wear a neoprene hood and the pile hat needs a windproof barrier. I remember some days in the Great Waas in Sept. when that hooded jacket was just right. The trick with hoods is whether they interfere with looking about and all that.

Ed Lawson

i supposed that it could also be a dandy water scooper at innopportune times.

i don't have a hood on my suit but in my experience in using hoods in other winter sports (...all of which my wife thinks are nuts!) if you wear something with a solid bill (ie, baseball cap) beneath the hood, when you turn your head to look at something, the bill of the cap (or whatever) will turn the hood so that it moves with you so that you don't just turn your head and end up looking at the inside of your hood!

Hi Ernie,

There seems to be a question re: usage of this item. Seller claims it has been used only once but then in response to a question reveals that it had a previous owner. Perhaps you should ask him how many times his uncle used the suit! Good luck!

Q: The large drysuit comes with a large neck gasket - has the gasket been trimmed or is it the original untrimmed gasket? Nov-18-07

A: If it has been trimmed, it was trimmed by my wife's uncle (the suit's original owner). The gasket opening measures approx. 5" in diameter and there are 8 ribs from the opening down.

Hi Gene,

I retracted my bid as the latex gaskets are 6/02 production. I'm not interested in chasing a drysuit needing all new gaskets. Bidder is max proxied at $599 if someone else wants this one for $600+ Thanks.

Hi Gene,

I retracted my bid as the latex gaskets are 6/02 production. I'm not interested in chasing a drysuit needing all new gaskets. Bidder is max proxied at $599 if someone else wants this one for $600+ Thanks.

Ernie,

To answer your original question though on the hood/no hood. I never liked the hoods on the current and older models of the Expedition Suit. The hood material was what used to be called Gore-Tex XCR. It was a bit stiff and somewhat thick. Very heavy duty and warm/breathable. What I didn't like about it was that the hoods would scoop water if left unfurled instead of rolled when not in use on your head. I also didn't like the weight of the material as it didn't conform to your head and tended to stay looking forward when you turned your head to one side.

BUT the new models of the Expedition suit have a redesigned neck and hood. PHenomenal new hood that has four points of adjustment - all possible to be done with one hand. The material is now pac light and it really molds to your head. The new neck collar area has drains in front and back and now the water has a place to go when scooped. The new Expedition suit will be shipping from January on. It is also available in red... (Radish). Which might look nicer than the basic black.

When I need a new suit, I will definitely be ordering this one.

Suz

Ernie,

To answer your original question though on the hood/no hood. I never liked the hoods on the current and older models of the Expedition Suit. The hood material was what used to be called Gore-Tex XCR. It was a bit stiff and somewhat thick. Very heavy duty and warm/breathable. What I didn't like about it was that the hoods would scoop water if left unfurled instead of rolled when not in use on your head. I also didn't like the weight of the material as it didn't conform to your head and tended to stay looking forward when you turned your head to one side.

BUT the new models of the Expedition suit have a redesigned neck and hood. PHenomenal new hood that has four points of adjustment - all possible to be done with one hand. The material is now pac light and it really molds to your head. The new neck collar area has drains in front and back and now the water has a place to go when scooped. The new Expedition suit will be shipping from January on. It is also available in red... (Radish). Which might look nicer than the basic black.

Suz

Ah, Suz, I knew I could count on ya to come through with the goods. Happy Thanksgiving, and again, congrats on the Barn!

Ern

Suz

Cool, however Kokatat sent me a new suit only two years ago under warranty as they determined the Gore-Tex was delaminating so my Expedition suit is in very good shape. It will be a little while before getting another.

That being said, I leave my hood rolled and secured 90% of the time so it has never been a problem. I tend to wear a NRS Mystery Hood in winter, supplemented with a Henderson Ice Cap when rolling in <40F water. The drysuit hood has come in handy a few times. I've become most fond of the sleeve pocket as somewhere for quick access for Gu, inhaler, etc...

I love mine! Here in the NW it's great to have the hood year round. When not in use I keep it tucked under my PFD to keep the water from pooling. I use it everywhere except the river due to it coming out from under the PFD at high flows making it a snag hazard. I do use it in Deception Pass at levels maxing at 8+ knots without any problems. I also own a Ktat Tech Tour Jacket with hood. As Rick suggested, a baseball cap and a hood make a great combo. It so nice to keep that wind off you neck when it's cold and wet outside.

BB