S&G Saturday Lane's Cove

PattyP

Launch out of Lane's Cove at 11:00 am and paddle over to Wingarsheek/Coffin beach area - maybe over to Cranes if weather/group is up to it. We'll land somewhere and enjoy some leisure time on the beach then paddle back when we're ready.

This has potential to be level 3 conditions if the wind picks up. This is a show and go so there is no leader, bring everything you need to be out on the water.

Am I correct is assuming the total mileage might be as low as 4NM and as high as 8NM?

What time to you anticipate arriving back at Lane's Cove?

When you say Crane's beach, might you travel along its length to its northerly end?

Might you go in other direction toward Halibut Point if wind direction favors that way?

Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Am I correct is assuming the total mileage might be as low as 4NM and as high as 8NM?

What time to you anticipate arriving back at Lane's Cove?

When you say Crane's beach, might you travel along its length to its northerly end?

Might you go in other direction toward Halibut Point if wind direction favors that way?

Hi Ed,

We will paddle toward Wingarsheek/Coffin's beach area. If the weather/water is good, some of us may choose to paddle over toward Crane's and/or Essex bay. Those that wish to lounge on the beach (whichever beach we want to stop at) will be met by the others on the way back and we will all paddle back together. No given return time - but definately before dark.

Hope to see you and Gail,

Patty

Patty-

Changed our mind. Small craft warnings after 1pm with gusts to 30.

COASTAL WATERS FROM THE MERRIMACK RIVER MA TO WATCH HILL RI OUT TO

25 NM

ANZ231-082015-

/O.NEW.KBOX.SC.Y.0079.070908T1700Z-070908T2200Z/

CAPE COD BAY-

443 AM EDT SAT SEP 8 2007

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON

THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON...

.TODAY...SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT... INCREASING

TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS AROUND 2 FT.

Phil

Patty-

Changed our mind. Small craft warnings after 1pm with gusts to 30.

COASTAL WATERS FROM THE MERRIMACK RIVER MA TO WATCH HILL RI OUT TO

25 NM

.TODAY...SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT... INCREASING

TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS AROUND 2 FT.

Phil

I am a timid paddler who assiduously avoids going in harm's way since experience has told me it will find me often enough without looking for it. That said, consider the following. The marine forecast is for a huge area and the intent is to give mariners an estimate of the worse they are likely to encounter anywhere in that area. Its applicability to kayakers along the coast is not automatic. If you do not need to travel far, then it is always worth while to stand at the launch site and take a look. Regardless, check the appropriate websites to ascertain how the weather will develop during the day. It may say 90% chance of rain, but a closer look will show rain is only expected after 8PM. Is the paddling route protected by land masses from the wind and swell? If they say 3-5' seas, but the wind has been from he west all week, then it is highly unlikely there will be anything on the shore. If the swell is from the southwest, but the winds have shifted to the N, then the swell might get knocked down. So always take weather forecasts for what they are and apply some judgment. Check the GOMOS buoy info for the windward side of Cape Ann today and the map showing swell size and direction.

OTOH, it is absolutely true that many talk of paddling in 20+Kt winds, but those are strong winds indeed and anything much over them is no fun at all. Just as when the buoy says 3' seas, there are 5-6' waves out there for sure. so caution is a good thing. I'm just suggesting don't be a slave to marine forecasts. Many days with a small craft advisory are pleasant days to paddle.

Ed Lawson

Ed-

Not a slave to the forcast. Just decided to paddle somewhere else where there's amusement to be had within a few hundred feet of shore with the wind pushing one into land in case of problems. And I would say that todays forcast held up pretty well. 12-15 consistent with higher gusts.

Phil