Any experience/reviews with the ICOM M72 VHF Radio?

jason

I am looking for a new VHF as my M1V is on the way back to ICOM again.

I am looking at the ICOM M72, as the IPX8 appeals to me along with the thinner form factor (About the same size as my M1V).

Does anybody have one and if so how is it holding up? What are your thoughts about the radio and would you purchase it again?

If nobody has anything good to say about the M72, I might just go with the M88 as it's a known quantity.

Thanks -Jason

Here are some non-owner thoughts about the M72. It is the only non-commercial Icom Marine VHF handheld that is MIL specd for immersion so the odds are good regarding waterproofness. I suspect its form factor would be good for someone with large fingers and hands including size and position of the buttons. Personally, I like a radio that fits my hand and it easy to hold onto. What size and shape works is purely preferential. The display is large and easy to read. The audio output is greater than nearly all other radios of this type and it has a large capacity battery for long life on receive, but at 6W is also draws more current on transmit than most. I have not read the manual, and doing that would be good to see how easy it is to set up for WX alert and multi-channel scanning/monitoring. For some reason I have found myself in a couple of situations this year where the Wx alert function turned out to be important and being able to use it easily is a big plus.