Easter Bunny Plunge - Sat 4/8/23

rfolster

Come join us on Saturday, April 8th for the annual cold water CAM (Chocolate Adventure Model) event.  This moderately casual paddling trip will include opportunities for those brave souls who wish to do some splashing in the chilly early-spring Atlantic to test their gear, their nerves, and their fellow paddlers’ abilities to get them back in their boats!

Trip specifics (location, duration, etc) will depend on participants and weather, so please chime in and stay tuned.

To participate in this trip, you should have the following:
- Food and a hot beverage
- Drysuit with proper footwear and appropriate under layers (if you don't have a drysuit, inquire about borrowing or renting)
- Neoprene cap or hood
- Neoprene gloves or poggies
- Wool or fleece hat
- Wool or fleece gloves or mittens
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket that fits over your PFD
If you have the following, you should also bring them:
- Storm cag
- Warm outer pant layer (worn at launch to unload and pack boat)
- Spare under-layers (in case your primary set gets wet)
- Padding to sit on (camp chair, carpet square, piece of foam, etc)
- Hypo kit (various items to help deal with hypothermia for yourself and/or others)
- Group shelter

We recommend that everyone put together some form of hypothermia kit – see this post if you want more information on what to include: http://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/9825-hypo-kit/. Don’t feel overwhelmed by all the gear. The start of a good hypo kit is a thermos of hot tea/chocolate/soup/water and a warm jacket/blanket/tarp. Do you have any hand or feet warmers from skiing? An old yoga mat is a great ground pad. A tent fly would work as a wind shelter. Don’t worry about packability if it’s just a day paddle – you have plenty of room in your boat. Put together what you can and we will compare different ideas. 

If you would like to attend but don’t have a particular piece of kit, just let us know. We should have plenty of extra stuff on hand to care for everyone. So bring your bunny ears (really!) and join us for some cold water fun! We will even have extra ears on hand for those who don't have them.Location and details to be determined, but will most likely be in MA north of Boston.  For questions, please post here or send me a Private Message.

Post to this thread if you plan to attend. 

Hey Rob, you didn't emphasize the most important thing…altho you did allude to it in Chocolate Adventure Model.

Folks…this is the secular EASTER Bunny Plunge paddle…so feel free to bring chocolate, Peeps, jelly beans etc etc to share with the gang! 

And, oh yeah, I'm in, too.

Prudence

Edited by prudenceb

Haven't done this paddle before so I don't know; what's the "plunge?" Does this include a rolling exercise or intended to be above water? 

John

14 hours ago, JanetL said:

I have some afternoon plans I have to be back for, so it depends on when and where!

That can be a common issue on holiday weekends, so you might find company for a half-day pod. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:53 AM, John Harkey said:

Haven't done this paddle before so I don't know; what's the "plunge?" Does this include a rolling exercise or intended to be above water? 

John

You're welcome to stay above water in your boat or if you like, you can roll, wet exit, or otherwise frolic in the water.

Yes Fred, little bit of a breeze from the west which is not ideal, but definitely manageable.  I am thinking about heading out from Riverhead and hugging the left Shore around to Doliber Cove (and beyond?) or stay  right to the outside of Marblehead. Either way we would be looking for a little protection from the NW wind.  Should be a sunny day, which will help, but definitely need to dress warm, as usual with any early season paddle. 

Can anyone confirm early-season access to Riverhead beach parking?  My thoughts are for a 9:30am “Ready to launch” start time and plan to return no later than 3pm.  I know Janet needs an earlier return time, so if others do too, speak up and maybe we could have two pods, or just collectively make it an early day.  I am open to options.

If we think about going on the outside of Marblehead, is there any place to land for breaks or lunch?  Doliber Cove has a beach inside. 

9:30 am "ready to launch" sounds a bit early given early season and how chilly it will be.  Likely not a long day so off the water 3 pm allows plenty of early season paddling time - particularly if we're spending much time plunging - with a slightly later start.  Just a thought.

There are no parking fees in Marblehead until Memorial Day. Karen, Lane's Cove is scenic but there isn't much parking and that stretch of coast is pretty exposed to W and NW winds.

Rob, if you decide to head outside we can land on Tinkers Island about 0.4 nm off of the SE tip of Marblehead Neck. There is an area there that is quite well sheltered.

2 minutes ago, Karen Volkman said:

Is it really $20 to park at Riverhead? 

Guess I was hoping for somewhere scenic like Lane's Cove.

Anyway, I'm the distance outlier and I will see many of you soon in Maine. 

Seems early in the season for parking charge at Riverhead…