General interest in renting out AMC's Knubble Bay Cabin in Georgetown, ME?

Dan Foster

I did a solo camping trip in June 2021 in the area. Launched from the AMC cabin area, where I left the car and pitched my tent one night at Beale Island and the second at Powderhorn. It was during the week, only one other camper at Beale and no one at the cabin, which was closed. I paid AMC for camping at Beale and that gave me the right to leave the car at the cabin, I think there were plenty of space for parking. Did both lower and upper hell gates but not the circumnavigation of Georgetown Is. It was my first camping trip in Maine. Count me in. Beautiful area.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:16 AM, Dan Foster said:

I've been told Knubble Bay reservations will be accepted starting January 26th. It's slightly cheaper to have an AMC member make the reservation. I'm going to try to reserve KBC for the 8/26-8/28 weekend. If someone else decides to go after 5/13 for an early-season trip or some alternate date, please let me know.

A bunch of you expressed interest above "if the timing works". The timing has now been proposed. I'll be fronting $600 to get the 8/26-8/28 reservation, so hearing a few more "yeah, I'm probably in for that weekend" before Thursday would be nice. Non-binding until the reservation is confirmed, details are fleshed out, and money is exchanged, but you'll have first dibs on a spot.

Dan, I am newly on the AMC-KBC Committee and I am pretty sure you can make a reservation now. There was a KBC committee member post stating reservations had been made for the Lobster Weekend they have. Bottom line don't wait, the weekends fill up fast and reservations are rebounding from the COVID period. It is a very nice location and the SunShower stall will make your day. The stairs to the beach have just been rebuilt and widened to 48" making them safer. There is a handrail on one side but a ramp has not been added. I think it will make a great club activity location.

I should add to my note. You can sleep in the bunkroom on the second floor or tent outside on the grounds. Fifteen people is manageable but folks should carpool as there can be cars from people camping on Beal island at the site. 

I think it's a wonderful idea.  I live pretty close to the cabin, and have been thinking about doing some camping on Beal this season.  You're full of great ideas Dan! If you need more people to commit just remind everyone that you have a Dutch oven and you're not afraid to use it. I can see a Knubble Bay Cook - Off coming up. 

Dan,  do you envision a small group? :if  the group size  is too small  (e.g 6-8 ) to comfortably and happily  split into  2 groups , and  if  a Georgetown circumnavigation is a key feature of this trip, that could limit some applicants, who might not be into a 22 NM day trip. Personally, its not likely I'd want to do that circumnavigation this year , at least at  any standard pace, so I'd be looking for a range of alternative paddling options, in which case I may or may not qualify for this trip:  which makes me think that the ideal  group size could be greater than you mentioned, and be open to a wider range of NSPNers.      
Peter     

Doug, the KBC committee gets first dibs on weekends, and gave AMC reservations a list of four blocked-out weekends that are reserved for the Lobster Bake and other AMC events. I've confirmed with two AMC sources that general reservations open on Thursday.

Peter, my plan was to secure the reservation on Thursday AM, and once we definitively know whether we're going in August or May, start hashing out the details of how many participants with those who have expressed interest. I suspect that we can accommodate more people in warmer August, whereas in May there may be some group concerns about cramming the maximum number of people into the cabin. Ideally, I'd like to safely accommodate a circumnav pod and a non-circumnav pod, while still keeping the group small enough to keep from feeling like we're tripping over ourselves. I'm thinking that an upper limit of around 10 people would work, especially if a couple of experienced paddlers (you, me, others?) organize a non-circumnav pod on Saturday.

8/26 week end is good for me. Maybe May too.
And the lot can hold more cars than you might think. I have seen it packed with cars, trucks and trailers. 

and I would probably drop a tent

Edited by beckt

Just to clarify: I'll be organizing an Aug 25-27 trip to Knubble Bay. May 13-15 was a backup plan in case we didn't get the August reservation. There will not be a May trip, unless someone else steps up to reserve and organize one.

p.s. For others interested in organizing NSPN camping trips, here are some favorite locations. (start a new thread if you'd like to discuss or gauge interest)

Boston Harbor (Peddocks Island is the only camping offered in 2023) - reservations open Feb 15 Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (reserveamerica.com)

Squam Lake NH - reservations open Feb 22. Camping Reservations | Welcome to the Squam Lakes Association

MCHT Maine Islands - reservations open Mar 1. Campsite Reservations – Maine Coast Heritage Trust (mcht.org)

I've offered first dibs on this trip to everyone who expressed interest prior to me reserving the cabin.

Karen, Beth, and the rest of the club - the remaining spaces on the trip will be available to reserve on March 1st. Full details of the trip, including how to reserve your spot, will be posted in late February.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...