Portland, Maine paddle Saturday, May 22

prudenceb

Come celebrate a return to semi-normalcy with a paddle out of Portland, Maine this Saturday, May 22.  We will plan to visit/circumnav various islands to be determined.  Trip will be in the 10-15 nm range, but not a race!  While this beautiful week seduces us into to thinking summer is here, it's not!  The water is still very cold - in the 40's - so cold water paddling clothes and gear required.  And, it goes without saying, kayaks with bulkheads rigged decklines and sprayskirts required.

HT 7:50 am. LT 1:30 pm.  Long range forecast calls for fairly calm conditions.

Maine has lifted outdoor mask requirement.

We will plan to gather at 9:30 am for a 10:00 am launch.  Details about launch site will be sent to folks who sign up.

Please post your interest on this thread.  If you haven't paddled with us before, pls PM Sue or Prudence before signing up.

Looking forward to a fun day on the water!

Prudence and Sue Hrciga

Edited by prudenceb

Hi Folks,

Due to the sea state forecast for Saturday, Prudence and I are looking for an alternative to Portland Islands.  We are considering 2 options, 1) launching from Exeter, (Squamscott River) to Great Bay and hooking a left at Shackford Point into the Lamprey River to the town of Newmarket, stop for lunch and return to Exeter and 2) launch from Saco Boat Ramp and head east to mouth near Biddeford Pool, have lunch and return.  As the forecast further develops and if a prediction of rain for most of the day occurs, we may bail altogether.  Any thoughts on these plans, or suggestions for other protected paddles?

Best, Sue and Prudence

Keep me posted as I plan to get out and keeping my options open. There is a sizable difference between the wind fore cast for shore line areas and the seacoast towns. GB might be a nice option to avoid too much wind.