Updates on MA and ME Covid restrictions

First: in Massachusetts the Phase 3 guidelines seem to relax some of the restrictions, in particular the 10-person limit for outdoor activities. The Beaches guidance now limits "Beach Blanket/Towelling Groups" (a lovable term) to 10 people, but imposes no other numerical limit. The Outdoor Education guidance has a 10-person limit, but allows multiple groups of 10 provided they are separated by at least 20 feet.

Note that municipalities can still do things their own way so it's important to check. For example Marblehead still puts a limit of 10 people on docks and piers, which are administered by the harbormaster's office, but not on beaches which are the domain of the parks & rec department.

Second: Massachusetts to Maine travel. There has been some press lately about this. While there is no change in the quarantine-or-test requirement yet, Maine CDC has said that they have a clear set of statistical criteria and that they are regularly re-examining the MA statistics to see if Covid-19 incidence is the same or less than Maine's.  Here is a video of the Maine CDC director being asked this exact question:

https://youtu.be/D6uNHmuYUPs?t=958

So it sounds like it's based on science rather than politics. If MA statistics keep heading downwards, hopefully this will be loosened up.

More insight:

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/07/06/business/why-maine-isnt-treating-massachusetts-tourists-like-others-and-when-it-might/

Last I saw, MA is now at 1.8% positivity, so there's reason for hope.

If they don't let us in soon, AFP (Beverly, Swampscott, many others) is offering quick tests to asymptomatic people for $139 with no appointment now.

18 hours ago, mhabich said:

More insight:

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/07/06/business/why-maine-isnt-treating-massachusetts-tourists-like-others-and-when-it-might/

Last I saw, MA is now at 1.8% positivity, so there's reason for hope.

If they don't let us in soon, AFP (Beverly, Swampscott, many others) is offering quick tests to asymptomatic people for $139 with no appointment now.

Carewell Urgent Care in Cambridge also offering quick test for $160.

16 hours ago, josko said:

At the entrance to Falmouth (MA) there's still a sign that requests out-of-state visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days. 

Fhose signs are all over the highways too.  Widely ignored.  ME is different.  

A friend did a family day-trip from his home in MA to Maine. Went through the highway toll gates both ways. Got a notice via mail that he'd been tracked coming and going through the gates within a 48 hr period which meant he hadn't quarantined. They fined him. 

13 hours ago, kate said:

A friend did a family day-trip from his home in MA to Maine. Went through the highway toll gates both ways. Got a notice via mail that he'd been tracked coming and going through the gates within a 48 hr period which meant he hadn't quarantined. They fined him. 

Wow!  Kinda doesn't make sense.  If you go to Maine you have to stay for two weeks to quarantine even if you're going for just a day...during which you quarantine.  And also, how did they know the person hadn't been tested?

How much?

I was stopped on Rt 24 at the RI border by M state police who wanted to know my quarantine plans. I showed them my essential worker paperwork and let me go, but they were dead-serious.

Edited by josko

13 hours ago, kate said:

If you allow people into your state, you can't force them to stay for 14 days. Period. There is no way that can possibly stand up in court. Hopefully, this is nothing more than an anomaly caused by a monitoring system that was rushed into use without proper development and testing. If this is actually what they intended, your friend should return their fine paperwork without payment and include a note telling them where to stick it. It's beyond stupid.

13 hours ago, josko said:

I was stopped on Rt 24 at the RI border by M state police who wanted to know my quarantine plans. I showed them my essential worker paperwork and let me go, but they were dead-serious.

So in a time where there is already incredible tension between the public and the police, we now have them acting like Gestapo at state borders? That's just brilliant!

This pandemic has caused enough stress without piling on government overreach and heavy-handed police tactics. You can travel between states and still be safe and responsible, simply by monitoring your health, limiting your contact with other people, and following social distancing and mask recommendation. There is no valid reason or need for this other crap.

I live in the Adirondacks of New York. NY’ers have flattened the curve and our rate of infection has made the Empire state a safe place to live. Since this darn virus is ‘asymptotic, I do not want to have people come to NY from Florida or other states that did not practice CDC guidelines and politicalized the virus as not being serious. Also, the brilliant Governor fo Florida stopped NY’ers form entering Florida in late March—April because of the widespread infection rate that New York—mostly NYC residents and the suburbs—had at that time. While DeSantis opened Florida up without restrictions because after all the idiot couldn’t or wouldn’t cancel Spring Break for the college kids.That would be very bad for businesses in Florida. And I imagine that those kids went home after their partying and infected others. Now Florida has a high rate of infection and I’d prefer gator-staters stay put and not visit NY. Once again, we do not know who has this virus and is carrying it around and infecting others. It’s a shame that a virus that can make so many people very sick and even kill someone turned political. 

I hope your tread wasn’t entirely directed at me. I was responding to a post that did not want a police force or government interfering with travel. New York had the highest incident of covoid 19 cases with sickness and death. Our Governor did something about it. Our rate of infection is one of the lowest-if not the lowest-in the country. I paddle 80-100times per/wk. I do not want to see Florida/Georgia plates at the launch sites in NY. Those two states in particular did not follow CDC guidelines and are now paying the price for lack of action. I agree, that people need to use common sense. Wear a mask and practice social distancing. Go out for essential items only when necessary. Common sense. Yet, I don’t believe I’d be welcome to paddle in Massachusetts or Maine???

2 hours ago, pitt16 said:

I hope your tread wasn’t entirely directed at me. I was responding to a post that did not want a police force or government interfering with travel. New York had the highest incident of covoid 19 cases with sickness and death. Our Governor did something about it. Our rate of infection is one of the lowest-if not the lowest-in the country. I paddle 80-100times per/wk. I do not want to see Florida/Georgia plates at the launch sites in NY. Those two states in particular did not follow CDC guidelines and are now paying the price for lack of action. I agree, that people need to use common sense. Wear a mask and practice social distancing. Go out for essential items only when necessary. Common sense. Yet, I don’t believe I’d be welcome to paddle in Massachusetts or Maine???

You are welcome in ME!  ME ok with NY, NJ, CT, NH and VT.

you paddle 80-100 times per week!?  When do you ever sleep! ?

On 7/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, prudenceb said:

Wow!  Kinda doesn't make sense.  If you go to Maine you have to stay for two weeks to quarantine even if you're going for just a day...during which you quarantine.  And also, how did they know the person hadn't been tested?

How much?

Prudence,   He was given the option to send test results to them, from that time period. He did not have it...  I don't know how much they charged him. Also, he does not have a personal residence there (he stayed at his mom's vacation home) which is where you are supposed to quarantine. I don't offer an opinion as to whether this makes sense or is legal or anything like that. Just telling the cautionary tale.

Edited by kate
clarification

On 7/8/2020 at 6:41 PM, kate said:

With apologies to Mike H....

I thought the plate tracking could only be used for toll violations? Knew that would not last...

Your friend should appeal on the grounds of elder care. Maybe get a jury trail?  LOl   I would vote to nullify that law or statue..hang the jury. And I do see many Mass. plates at NH put-ins.. 

Hang on for the second wave...

45 minutes ago, kate said:

Prudence,   He was given the option to send test results to them, from that time period. He did not have it...  I don't know how much they charged him. Also, he does not have a personal residence there (he stayed at his mom's vacation home) which is where you are supposed to quarantine. I don't offer an opinion as to whether this makes sense or is legal or anything like that. Just telling the cautionary tale.

That is really something!  I passed on story to a friend whose brother has been traveling back and forth.  And btw, I knew you were offering as cautionary tale!