Paddling Woods Hole

josko

Just searched 'Woods Hole'. It seems for a number of years I've been trying to get nspn interested in paddling this area, to no avail. So instead of posting yet another invite, let me throw it up here for discussion. Is there interest in paddling this area, and if so, what's a good way to get a trip down here? Mel and I are getting to know the area well, and it does have much to offer. Out house has five bedrooms, large finished basement, plenty of lawn tent space, and we'd be glad to host.

Edited by josko

I have repeatedly been tempted by your Woods Hole postings, but then Google Maps reminds me to allow two and half hours for the drive down from NH.  Once I allow time to get up and moving in the morning and add some cushion against arriving late the time I would have to set my alarm gets absurd.  Especially for a night-owl like myself.  While your accommodations offer is very generous, that changes the event from a common day trip to a rare "discuss with wife" overnight/multi-night trip.

To drum up interest part of me thinks you should offer an afternoon trip.  That does make the drive-time/paddle-time ratio pretty severe.  However, especially as a spring trip when some of us are not really up to a full day on the water, it might get some participation.  If you want to use the afternoon paddle as a hook for longer events, the afternoon trip could also meet at your house for a "bag lunch" before the paddle.  That would give you a chance to show off your accommodations offer, and let paddlers look before they jump into a multiple-day commitment.

Unfortunately, I'm currently under doctors orders to not resume kayaking yet after back surgery.  Once I do start kayaking again I'll need to build my endurance back up like an L1 beginner.  So I personally don't expect to paddle Woods Hole until 2020 at the earliest.

I just joined NSPN and only have done one trip so far but will be looking for trips in the L2-2.5 range this spring and summer.  I'd consider paddling in that area if someone who knows the area can plan.   (If I recall correctly the tides/current around that area can be swift and the wrong plan could get your somewhere you don't want to be.)

-Ken

I'd very much like to get there this summer, and have indicated this to Mel.  The only difficulty is finding a time that works.  I have a super busy summer ahead.  Are weekdays ever any good?  I'm happy in a PM to tell you when I'm away in hopes that we could come up with a time that I'm actually in town.

Prudence

Hi Josko. I am interested but also tight on time -- pretty much weekends only at this point. I went there last summer and enjoyed very much. 

What I *really* want to do is find a way to paddle to my friends' house on Chappy! Probably involves a ferry on a kayak and then paddling around to Edgarton to meet them, or something like that. Have you ever done that? 

13 hours ago, JRL said:

What I *really* want to do is find a way to paddle to my friends' house on Chappy! Probably involves a ferry on a kayak and then paddling around to Edgarton to meet them, or something like that. Have you ever done that? 

You can definitely paddle from Woods Hole to Oak Bluffs - I've done it several times and I'm sure Josko is no stranger to the route. From there to Edgartown and Chappaquiddick - I haven't done that but it sure seems doable. My husband has circumnavved the Vineyard so it's all possible. The crossing can be tricky - timing for tidal currents and dodging boats and ferry - but it's an awesome trip.

Josko, thanks for your generous offer.  Now that I'm retired, mid-week works for me (I'm about an hour away), but later in the season when I've had some time to polish the skills. I love kayaking that area, but not sure I can keep up with you and Mel (in fact, sure I can't), so would only sign on for a mid-level trip. Rounding Naushon with the currents would be cool, haven't done that, but I have another commitment on 6/30. Running down to Cuttyhunk - been there, done that, and never again! Most boring coastline ever, for hours! Woods Hole itself is the most fun and interesting and hair-raising part of it all. Everyone who wants to hone their skills should make the effort to go. 

Thanks for all the responses, folks. Here are some comments/answers:

Ken, consider signing up for the 6/29 L2 ‘Intro to Woods Hole trip’ on 6/29. It’s designed for folks with no prior exposure to moving water, but some comfort with chop and the 10-12 miles we’ll do.

Pru, I can take most weekdays off with a week’s or so notice. Mel will know her summer schedule this week. We're still hoiping that 'ladies to Woods Hole' event happens. Feel free to stay overnight, if that's convenient. 

JRL, (one way) Woods Hole to Edgartown  is a longish, but totally feasible paddle. You want Boston high tide between 0800 and 1000, no winds with easterly components, and need to figure out in advance how to navigate across the three ferry channels.  Very feasible and cool L3 trip. I’d be glad to provide details.

Andy, think about the 6/30 Naushon rounding if you’re comfortable with 20 miles and 15 kt wind.

Paul, let me know what weekdays work and I’ll be glad to take them off.  Is an overnight an option for you?

Kate, I can’t keep up with Mel anymore, either, (Tried Saturday, and got a pulled forearm muscle to show for it.)  although Woods Hole is more about boat handling skills than about speed or endurance.  As I said above, mid-week usually works for me, so feel free to pick one or a couple mid-week days, and let’s have at it.

Dan, you are welcome anytime. We’d love to paddle with you again.

So, it sounds like we’re not looking at an ‘NSPN trip', but rather folks who’d like to come down more or less on their own. That’s fine, and we’re looking forward to it. Feel free to contact us, but before settling on a date, let’s make sure wind and tides are in our favor.  We’re looking forward to showing off our back yard.

6 minutes ago, josko said:

JRL, that's Boston LOW tide, not high tide between 0800-1000. (Why won't this thing let me edit my post?)

Thanks for the tips, Josko.

My paddling skills are currently stronger than my planning skills, so doing that crossing is probably not yet in my realm.

Do you know if you can take a kayak on the ferry? (drag it on a cart?)

I'm certainly still interested in a woods hole paddle with you and/or Mel, especially if it's a weekend but maybe even a weekday. So definitely keep me informed for the ladies paddle plans!

Thanks,

Janet

Sylvester-san, can you take Mondays off, I wonder?  I'd love to go down and play there with them on such a day...it's been a very long time...

Are <you> able to make Mondays, Josko?

9 hours ago, JRL said:

Thanks for the tips, Josko.

My paddling skills are currently stronger than my planning skills, so doing that crossing is probably not yet in my realm.

Do you know if you can take a kayak on the ferry? (drag it on a cart?)

I'm certainly still interested in a woods hole paddle with you and/or Mel, especially if it's a weekend but maybe even a weekday. So definitely keep me informed for the ladies paddle plans!

Thanks,

Janet

Janet, it's not that bad, and I'd be glad to work details with you, maybe even paddle down to Oak Bluffs with you. (From there it's a no-brainer.)  Ferries will take kayaks, but parking is a problem, as ferry parking lots are 5+ miles away. You can park in our driveway, and we can get you a ride to/from the ferry. We can make it work.

Pintail, there's no reason I couldn't take a Monday off, but won't know for sure until we pick a date.

14 hours ago, Pintail said:

Sylvester-san, can you take Mondays off, I wonder?  I'd love to go down and play there with them on such a day...it's been a very long time...

Are <you> able to make Mondays, Josko?

Schedule is tight but by my own design so yes I have flexibility and overnights are an option. Busy for several weeks out though.. 

Prob'ly best to take this to separate email threads: jcatipovic 'at' hotmail dot com  I should be reachable by PM, as well. 

Also, Mel and I will be at the Essex river race this Saturday (5/18) and glad to chat.

Edited by josko

19 hours ago, josko said:

Janet, it's not that bad, and I'd be glad to work details with you, maybe even paddle down to Oak Bluffs with you. (From there it's a no-brainer.)  Ferries will take kayaks, but parking is a problem, as ferry parking lots are 5+ miles away. You can park in our driveway, and we can get you a ride to/from the ferry. We can make it work.

That's so generous! Thanks!

Unfortunately looks like it may not end up being good for the folks I want to visit this year as they are traveling. But it's on my long term list.

Still interested in a weekend Woods Hole paddle if you do one though.

FWIW, looks like tides and winds will allign just so in Woods Hole Friday and Sat (6/14-15). If interested in a tiderace or downwinder, shoot us a message. I'm taking Friday off.  As always, we're glad to adjust trips to folks' comfort levels. 

FWIW: https://www.facebook.com/melissa.meyer.549/videos/10215953009432901/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

More Woods Hole downwind  fun on 7/7/19: https://www.facebook.com/melissa.meyer.549/videos/10216097311160354/

Edited by josko