Survey: would you buy, rent, or borrow marine charts and compasses?

Dan Foster

I've been tossing around some ideas for making it easier for club members, especially newer members, to get charts and gear. To see how well those ideas match up with reality, I ask you to take a moment to reply to the survey questions below, especially if you don't typically have a chart on your deck during club paddles.

Copy the following into your reply and add your answers.

Name some paddling locations you expect to visit in 2019 or 2020 for which you don't already own a chart:

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...)

If you were to BUY a chart, would you choose a $25 waterproof chart or an identical $10 paper chart?

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip? ($0 is a valid answer)

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? waterproof chart case, deck compass, handheld compass, marine radio, tow belt, helmet

My own answers:

Name some paddling locations you expect to visit in 2019 or 2020 for which you don't already own a chart:

Muscongus, Stonington, don't have a full map of Salem Sound/Marblehead

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? I print small charts at home, big charts at Staples

If you were to BUY a chart, would you choose a $25 waterproof chart or an identical $10 paper chart? probably the $10 paper chart, unless I'm going back yearly.

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip? $5

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? I own all of those, but don't typically carry the handheld compass on day trips.

Name some paddling locations you expect to visit in 2019 or 2020 for which you don't already own a chart:

Really don’t know  but anywhere along the Maine coast and maybe RI 

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...)

Online because the marine stores are very limited at this point

If you were to BUY a chart, would you choose a $25 waterproof chart or an identical $10 paper chart?

I have mostly waterproof but on occasion have photocopied and laminated paper charts

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip? ($0 is a valid answer)

I’m kind of a map geek and would want my own so I doubt I’d borrow but if I did $5 seems reasonable

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? waterproof chart case, deck compass, handheld compass, marine radio, tow belt, helmet

Own them all

Name some paddling locations you expect to visit in 2019 or 2020 for which you don't already own a chart:

N/A

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...)

Buy online

Waterproof

I would not borrow but would purchase

Own them all

I already have charts for most of the New England coast. Although I don't have any specific plans, eastern Canada is on my wish list and I do not yet have any charts.

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...):

I prefer to purchase charts at a marine store, however due to limited selection I do buy most of my charts online. I also print my own and laminate to carry on deck.

I always prefer waterproof charts.

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip? ($0 is a valid answer):

$5 is not unreasonable to borrow a chart, but I prefer to have my own. I always want a chart available for trip planning.

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? waterproof chart case, deck compass, handheld compass, marine radio, tow belt, helmet:

I own them all.

Name some paddling locations you expect to visit in 2019 or 2020 for which you don't already own a chart:  Nova Scotia

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...) I have purchased some and make and print many of my own. I use Rose Point Navigation Coastal Explorer. I print them on legal size paper and have them laminated at Staples. I should look into having them printed on waterproof paper.

If you were to BUY a chart, would you choose a $25 waterproof chart or an identical $10 paper chart?  Waterproof.

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip? ($0 is a valid answer) I would not borrow a chart.

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? waterproof chart case, deck compass, handheld compass, marine radio, tow belt, helmet. I own all of those.

Not sure yet

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...)

Buy online, make myself.

Waterproof

I would not borrow

Own them all

My edit of David's list.

Iceland, California.

Buy online  (Anybody have a good source for Iceland).

Waterproof

I would not borrow but would purchase

Own them all

• 2 weeks later...

•  Inland waters

• For US charts I go to the site below and print out my own, throw them in a ziplock and head out.  I only print the pages I need, and if it's a frequent spot I might think about laminating.  NOAA encourages folks to use these, and we point out their availability to folks who come into the shop who don't want to pay the $25 for the waterproofs.
  • https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/charts/noaa-raster-charts.html#booklet-charts

• Waterproof

• $0.  See info about printing my own free charts. 

• Own them all (if you count ziplock as a waterproof chart case)

• 2 weeks later...

Buzzards Bay, Cape cod, Rhode Island

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them? (buy online, marine supply store, print them myself...)

Buy water proof fold out or books most online. Most book charts  have too fine a scale for easy reading on the water. Also , often the area of interest is split between two pages.. so having a single side with just more than  the whole trip area would be great. The foldout charts need to be folded  cleverly  so the appropriate  area ends up on the best side, inside the chart case. 

Waterproof just in case.

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip? ($0 is a valid answer) $2 laminated. I would be willing to buy trip oriented laminated charts from the club or a club member. I  would donate to the club to create some of these charts  to loan to newcomers as a friendly recruiting tool. 

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? waterproof chart case, deck compass, handheld compass, marine radio, tow belt, helmet.

no marine radio

• 3 weeks later...

Nfld,  Haida Gwaii, Vancouver I.,  N Maine

If you DO own some charts, how do prefer to get them?

online (for pickup or printing),  looking for aerosol plasticizer to coat paper;  on the spot (browsing)

waterproof, but if I had aerosol plasticizer, paper

How much would you be willing to pay to BORROW a waterproof chart that you didn't have for the duration of an NSPN trip?

If I needed one , and didn't think I'd be revisisting (to buy), it'd be nice to rent at the put in.   Depends on the duration, cheap is good.

Which of the following do you NOT currently own? waterproof chart case, deck compass, handheld compass, marine radio, tow belt, helmet.

Helmet, marine radio, satellite radio, and typically, the right smartphone/provider/service across the border.  

• 1 month later...

I've been tossing around some ideas for making it easier for club members, especially newer members, to get charts and gear. To see how well those ideas match up with reality, I ask you to take a moment to reply to the survey questions below, especially if you don't typically have a chart on your deck during club paddles.

Copy the following into your reply and add your answers.

Being a novice, pretty much anywhere that's convenient and appropriate for my level and experiences.

Download from internet for free and print at home.

I have an 8.5x11 laminator and I have printed the sections of charts I want and laminated them.  So far, just some pieces of Boston Harbor.  For the distances I paddle, these have been adequate.

Don't know.

Waterproof chart case, marine radio, helmet.  (Helmet are radio are the next items on my list.)