9th Annual Jewell Island Kayak Camping, May 20-22

gyork

Level 3 trip that especially welcomes new kayak campers, and a reunion for those of us who don't see each other often enough. Here's a great opportunity for you paddlers who would like to try kayak-camping without the pesky bugs (beware of ticks!). This will be the 8th annual trip to Jewell, which has 2 large side-by-side campsites and a latrine. We typically have 12-15 or so paddlers, but an upper limit has not been established.
The Common Adventure Model (CAM) will be adopted

The SUGGESTED itinerary is as follows:

FRIDAY: Arrive at _____ (multiple launch site options, with each pod working out details privately or on NSPN Message Board under "trips") on Friday, May 20, in plenty of time for a 10:30am launch (HT-1119). If you are new to kayak camping, you may need extra time packing your boat, so plan on arriving no later than 0900. 

SATURDAY: Agenda TBD-bring your ideas for a day paddle or island activities (HT-1157). Prior trips have included Whaleboat/Little Whaleboat, Potts Harbor, Greens, Eagle, Great Diamond geocaching, Jewell's WW1 and WW2 military installations, and general camaraderie/gourmet foods around the camp fire.

SUNDAY: Back to cars via ???? (HT-1233).

If you would like to join this group of friendly paddlers, or have any questions about this trip or camping in general, post here.

When you can commit, please PM the following information to your specific pod organizer:
-Auto color, make, model, and tag# (If Cousins Island please register details with Yarmouth PD).
-Contact info, including cell, Es, H,W phone, emergency contact and permission to share with participants.

gary

IMGP0229.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to attend, am toying with the idea of a night nav.  exercise  with arrival on Thursday after dark , perhaps from Portland. Weather dependent  of course.  If that doesn't pan  out I'd most likely go for Dolphin Cove Marina  (Harpswell) like Dan  :  Friday launch, Sunday return.   

I am planning on going this year, and am intrigued by Peter's idea of a Thursday night nav.  Don't know where we can park overnight in Portland.  I would still launch from Cousins if anyone else is brave enough.  Having trouble justifying an additional hour of drive time to launch from Dolphin.

I am planning to go, I am interested in joining a Thurs night crossing group, I'd be willing to launch from Cousins if the weather is calm. I have done some night paddling, but not a lot and don't want to do it in rough conditions (a little bump is OK though).

I, too, am intrigued by the opportunity to paddle by the light of the full moon. But, given the distances and the crossings involved, and the inevitable delays in getting a camping group to launch after a work day, I think I'm going to do my transit to and from Jewell during daylight hours.

But I might be game for a sunset or moonlight paddle around Jewell or over to Cliff or Eagle on Friday or Saturday night, if the weather permits and the group was willing.

If there is a Thursday night crossing from South Portland to Jewell, I hope you discuss the details here. I'd certainly benefit from hearing how you prepare and plan for a safe night-time crossing. One of my favorite memories from last year's trip was watching a lone paddler slowly appear out of the dusk and paddle his way to our campsite in the last lingering rays of sunset.

Dan, In the past, at some point approaching the date of the trip Gary has switched to group emails, as sharing  float plan info and participant list among those going  seems to work best that way. In that event, the ins and outs of a night nav. approach to Jewell could be shared amongst us  in the Jewell island group as the date approaches, as a bit of special planning would be  needed.  A launch from Cousins or Portland (or Dolphin cove for that matter)  on Thursday night is also an option.   

Just took a look and it's about a 32 mile paddle to get to Jewell. It wouldn't be that bad but it's a mid day high and the water will be against me.

That and I don't yet know if I will be free for the weekend.   

21 hours ago, jason said:

....... about a 32 mile paddle to get to Jewell. ....... a mid day high and the water will be against me.

Ride the ebb through Hades' portal and arrive Th nite as some are contemplating.  It would be great to reunite with one of the original Jewellers.

gary

I would like to join, pref for Friday Morning launch from Portland area.  Please include me in the trip plan discussion if moved to email. (yongeshin@gmail.com)

Yong

Perhaps we should think of spending some time cleaning up Bangs and Crow?  I seem to remember that NSPN has adopted/agreed to steward these 2 neighbors?

A a reminder-I am a trip initiator, but cannot be an organizer (launch time/location, etc.) as I am typically on the water during the few days leading up to the trip.

gary

Last call before a group E is sent Monday to those who have indicated an intention to join this adventure.  Please PM me with E address if you plan to come, and have not yet indicated so, either here or via PM.

gary

Gary, please add me to the mailing list. I'm not sure yet when I will launch but the night paddle sounds like a great idea. 

Rene