Survey ~ Meet Up

Katherine

this site and this url has been our online home for...20 years? There are VOLUMES of information (some good, some bad), all or our squabbles and all our victories recorded here. The memories of the club and it's members. It as much as anything else, is NSPN.

The forums we have work plenty well enough.

Yeah, I sound like the last guy selling buggies as roads are getting paved for them newfangled automobiles, but that's my 2 cents.

...for her quirks and scars and as many things she can't do as can, she's beautiful and our home.

"All things counter, original, spare and strange:

Whatever is fickle,, freckled (who knows how?):

With swift, sweet, sour, adazzle, dim;

He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change..."

Who knew Rick was a fan of Gerard Manley Hopkins? My son is named Gerard; I was reading Hopkins in the waiting room while my wife was giving birth and when the nurse came out and told me a son was born and what was his name I blurted out Gerard.

SMSKN is using meetup. There is a little bit of a learning curve to it, especially if you are trying to post or revise/edit events. There are some glitches and tricks with posting events that took me some trial and error to figure out.

There are also some differences with meetup depending on whether you are using a smart phone or computer. Overall the meetup site works best on the computer rather than a smart phone. I do not know if it is different on iphone, but if you are using the android phone app, the meetup site will show scheduled "upcoming" groups, but not "suggested" groups. If a member is not designated as a trip initiator or organizer, any event they post will hang out in the "suggested" category until 2 more people sign up, then it will be bumped over to "upcoming" where more people will notice it. Even when looking at the site on the computer, I think people miss the suggested events, as the focus is on "upcoming" or scheduled events. This has caused some frustration with people posting paddles that no one signs up for because the trip stayed under the suggested tab and was not noticed by other members. I believe the NSPN board could allow everyone to schedule trips to take care of this though, otherwise they need to designate specific organizers and initiators.

On my phone, I can see my messages, and I can see comments on trips, but I cannot access "discussions". If I want to see that, I have to be on the computer. We (at SMSKN) are not an active discussion group anyway, but the more members rely on phones and tablets, the more limited the response to discussions may be. Currently when I view the NSPN site using the browser on my phone, I can access the message board. It seems that the ability to do that may go away if NSPN goes to meetup. I usually use the computer anyway, but it depends on what people want.

Who knew Rick was a fan of Gerard Manley Hopkins? My son is named Gerard; I was reading Hopkins in the waiting room while my wife was giving birth and when the nurse came out and told me a son was born and what was his name I blurted out Gerard.

That's a beautiful story, Gene. And I'm thrilled to encounter Hopkins in the voice of Rick Stoehrer, here on NSPN. Would that happen on a meetup post? I think not.

Kate

...and he grew up to be thankful you weren't reading ozymandias...percy would be a helluva thing to saddle a kid with...

Full disclosed: the other book I had with me that day was the poetry of Garcia Lorca. Perhaps if I'd chosen Garcia for him he could have grown up and ran for the Republican presidential nomination.

I'm late to this party, and probably not well informed on the issue, but for what it's worth, I love meetup as a scheduling tool for trips. However it does have it's limitations in other areas. i guess in the best of worlds i would want both? is this viable/practical? I would be happy to pay a higher membership fee (30 a year or more) if that would help matters, but I'm not sure if that is the issue. Unfortunately my skill set does not include computer stuff so I have little of substance to contribute, let me just say that i am extremely grateful for the time and effort put into this website, it is something very special and i would hate to lose it.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revisit a topic that may have already been put to bed but I can think of one salient benefit that  Meetup  provides that our current NSPN message board does not: email alerts or notifications of pending trips. Not everyone checks the web-site frequently and when they do are sometimes dissapointed that a trip took place that they regrettably missed. This has happened to me several times.  Meetup sends members invites on their email each time a trip is posted. Can our NSPN site do this too? It would be great!

Gene, this function can be set up through our Forum as well.  Give me a bit to get some instructions together and I will post them here.

Follow these steps to set up notifications for new postings:

1) Go to the Trips forum, and on the right towards the top of the page, click on the Follow button. Under the first option, click on Notification Settings
2) Scroll down in the next window and New content for things I follow will be highlighted - click the buttons for both Notification List and Email
3) Scroll down to the bottom and click Save
4) Go back to the Trips forum and select Follow again.  This time the top choice is selected, and click the Follow button in the drop down window.

You should now receive an email any time a trip is posted.  You can also use the Notification Settings to be notified for various other things.  Explore at your leisure.

Replied to the survey.   

I'm unfamiliar with MeetUp.   I like the current format, but am sympathetic to people who don't want to be saddled with up-keep - or the problems of finding new people to fill in.    Maybe someone can comment on the amount of work that goes into maintenance of the website?