Video: Kayaker Trapped in Sieve

leong

I still can't get over that they didn't attach to him and get him out. Just letting him slide though the under cut is really bad. That's why rescue PFD's have shoulder straps that one can attach to.

I don’t have any experience with whitewater rescues so this may be naive. It seems that someone should have moved out on the ledge above the victim to try to pull him straight up, perhaps using one of the existing lines (the victim was trying hard to get a handhold on the ledge above him). The rescuer to the left was trying to pull the victim to shore and the line on the right was pulling in the opposite direction; i.e. the two lines were pulling in opposition in directions perpendicular to the force of the water. You can’t raise something up by pulling perpendicular to the “up” direction. Well, that’s how it looks to me sitting here in a comfortable chair with the advantage of hindsight and ample time for analysis.

-Leon

i've never had / taken a swift water rescue class and do not know the appropriate actions/protocols....I {think} you're right jason but i sure don't know.

i do believe that had the fella on screen to the L of the victim run that line behind and around him on his back/shoulders, he may have been able to exert more pulling force on the line...not that i think that would have helped, frankly. seems you'd need a lot of mechanical advantage to be able to pull through or better yet, at an angle to, the opposing force of the water (please, please for the love of god, no engineering arm chair stuff. please?) and that someone mighta/coulda rigged that (had there been time, preparation, expectation, etc., etc) while the one fella tried to keep his head above water....but who knows? those are forces and thing's i've not played with at all....

glad the guy lived.

hey josko, you were asking about talking a froze up paddler through something? guessing this is beyond that standard, huh? wrap it up and call it a day!

(please, please for the love of god, no engineering arm chair stuff. please?)

Hmm, once I couldn’t spell injuneer, and now I are one.

-Leon

I have taken one 3 day swift water rescue class so far. I am looking to take another one this spring. Swift wate rescue classes are a ton of fun and really help build/reenforce the skills that we should have on the water.

I was shocked that the rescue wasn't done. I can't get over that someone spent the time to video it but not to drop the camera and help him. It looks like his friends don't have the proper training. It's a great what not to do video. I am very surprised that they let the video see the light of day.

I can't get over that someone spent the time to video it but not to drop the camera and help him.

I think the videographer was on the helicopter.

Yikes, no thanks!

I've got a couple good buds who do a fair bit of creek and they talk about close calls on a semi-regular basis, like it's just part of the game. It appeared like the group wasn't anticipating a rough section and things just went south. I'd be checking my shorts after experiencing anything even remotely close to that.

I believe it is part of the game. Little like mountaineering. If you don't accept the odds of dying or serious injury, you don't do it. I know a former a class V WW paddler who starting seakayaking once it became probable that if he kept upping the ante doing more difficult runs, he would die. The close calls add up in many ways as you get older.

Ed Lawson

Hey, it's class 5+ whitewater, and I'm sure they had scouted it and knew the lines they wanted to take. That's standard for such runs, no way is a "rough section" going to take them by surprise. Even so, random things happen, people miss their lines. I thought they did as good a job as could be done. Amazing that they even got to him as quickly as they did. Then, two ropes on him in an attempt to stabilize his position. Looks like the sprayskirt was trapped under the rock and he couldn't release it until he finally went under. No way he could have been lifted up and out. In that strong of a flow, I doubt they could have pulled him and the boat back out unless there'd been time to stabilize him and then set up a Z-drag - once the boat de-stabilized, the only way out was through. He's a lucky man. Usually those undercuts have all kinds of debris lodged in them. Yes, people who run rivers at this level know what they are getting into and the price of a mistake.

Kate (20+ years of whitewater, up to class 4, and many safety/rescue classes, and a few times putting what I learned about rescue into practice.)

A better use of words other than "rough section", might have been "things just went wrong" for a second or two. Looking back would be all it took, or simply missing the line, as already stated.