The art of reassuring paddlers

josko

I could use some help with reassuring paddlers. We've all seen it: a wipeout or more white water than anticipated, and folks freeze and loose whatever paddling skills they possessed. Yes, I know one's supposed to get them to a safe place, take a break, talk about whatnot, and hope they can continue, but has anybody run across an article that delves into the topic at depth?

Josko, I don't know how helpful any one magazine article would be. What does help is rescue practice and lots of it. Paddling classes under either the BCU or ACA systems will help immensely. You need to be confident in your ability to handle the conditions and to put a capsized paddler back in the boat and ready to continue, even if it's just to be towed to shore.

Practice, practice, practice!

Sometimes nerves just get in the way, even when one is well-practiced in rescue and preventive skills. Managing healthy fear so that it enhances safety rather than hampers personal growth is a tricky thing to master, and something that I struggle with. I get scared of capsizing even though I can roll 10 different ways, have a helmet, am dressed for immersion, and am with people I've practiced T-rescues with in tideraces.

I once had some advice on how to coach climbing partners through a lead climb when they are frozen with nerves, which I feel is very analogous. Talking to the person (about *anything*) helps immensely, but he stressed that merely repeating "you can do it" or "just do it" type platitudes are nowhere near as useful as things like:

(*) reminding them that they've climbed similar difficulty routes before without any problem at all

(*) asking them to breathe and focus on that fact that they WANT to be here, doing this, with these people

(*) focus on what's going right, not what might go wrong

(*) If they're at a spot where they can take a breather or momentarily relax, ask them to notice how safe / prepared they are (ie dressed for immersion, etc)

(*) reminding them that you're not leaving their side, you've got their back, and (in the climbing case) that you'll catch them if they fall

(*) In kayaking, you can remind them to keep looking around so they anticipate swell/ waves coming in before they feel the effects

Josko,

I'm sorry I do not know of any articles, but I'm going to give you expert advice from someone who knows fear while paddling. The thing I want most when I'm frozen in place from fear is CONTROL. I've lost control when I've reached that point. I feel as if the environment has the better of me and I feel helpless to overcome my fear. Some of the climbing suggestions above resonated with me. A strong voice grounding me, reminding me of the basics (because, as you've said, they're gone too), and then seeking my input on the path forward. This puts me in control and gives my mind a problem to work on. For instance when I encounter surf, I freeze in my tracks (Robert, Lorrie, Phil, others have seen this). If I'm given the opportunity in a safe area to study it, analyze it and look for a way through, I often feel better about it. What absolutely does not work is someone saying, just follow me, you'll be fine. I don't care if you're John Carmody, I won't follow you until I have figured a situation out for myself. But once I do, a strong paddler by my side helps a lot. The fear makes it hard to think and hard to remember the skills. Someone calling out reminders in a tricky spot - like edge left!, don't stop paddling!, is very helpful.

If it's not an option to get a fearful person's assistance with the path forward, then you need to be crystal clear about what the path is, what to expect, when, how long, how high, how fast, etc. Fear is (for me) a big, amorphous, non-specific, heavy bank of fog, and those specifics are like buoys, beacons and lighthouses by which I can mark my progress as I make my way through.

Many times, I've turned back instead of facing scary conditions. Sometimes that was a reaction to, 'it's fine, just follow me' and sometimes it was simply fear I was unable to overcome (I guess both are the same). In all cases, I've regretted turning back and wish with all my being I could go back and try again (I have a list in my head of places I need to go back to conquer), so please don't give up on the fearful (I know you're not). Try several different ways to reach them if you have the ability and luxury of time and safe area to do so.

Josko,

Different people are different -- and what they need when in the frozen/fear position may be different. I totally relate to what Cathy has written - but I am not like her in terms of what I need when I'm fearful. I AM someone who responds to "follow me" or "you can do this" from someone I TRUST. I remember how reassuring it was a few years ago when I was fearful of backing into a rocky area where the water was really just going up and down - and I had Kevin Beckwith on one side of me, and Marc Parsons on the other, talking me through it. Fear morphed into a kind of - if not comfort, at least kinda being able to enjoy being somewhere that had frightened me moments earlier. I am not primarily, like Cathy, an "analyzer" of situations.

Basic principle: don't take people into environments they're not prepared for. That said, mother nature can throw things at us that we weren't anticipating - and wouldn't have gone into if we had had the choice in advance. What different people might need AFTER a difficult encounter with water/waves/current/rocks can be different as well. This is where knowing the people you're with helps. Responses ranging from calm analysis to reassurance to even humor (of course assuming that nothing more than getting wet and being afraid has happened) work with different people - and with the same person at different times.

It's good you're thinking about this, and I appreciate the thoughtful responses. They are fodder for thinking about my own fear and reluctances and how to overcome them.

pru

Thinking further about this, it occurred to me that some people respond to questions like, "Hey, you got your paddle?", or to directions that engage their knowledge, like "Go to the stern of your boat, where the Skeg is!", or to a request like, "Can you swim your boat out to me?" The point in each case is to engage them mentally to an active state and jog them free of the frozen state.

Sometimes a quick joke can break the spell and get a swimmer back on the team: "Hey, good thing you're wearing that orange helmet, huh?"

nope.

reassured them from what point? i little intestinal wobble as dch liked to say or from utter meltdown, freeze up?

there are some things you can talk folks back from with a little mentoring/coaching and then some things folks just aren't going to be getting back on that horse too soon...know what i mean?

a cuppa and a snickers are fine up to a point....after that, they just want gone and you hit it another day.

everyone falls, it's the getting up that matters...

Josko,

I suspect many leaders are trained to take an action when a mishap occurs. They instinctively believe inaction shows lack of skill or incompetence. They hope the right words are chosen, the actions taken are supportive. They tend to deliver what is hoped to be a corrective measure. All good!

Sometimes what is needed is the ability to listen.

As a case in point, I was seeking an opportunity to practice rescuing a buddy in rapidly moving water. My feeble attempt resulted in my going for a swim. The leader was very supportive in communicating my mistakes and shared them as soon as I was back in my boat. At the time my ears were so full of water, I could not understand the message. It was somewhat funny upon reflection that night.

Warren

Funny, I was just thinking about this issue. We were out paddling and hit some choppy water--stuff none of you would even think about, but my SO, who is not so comfortable, got really stiff. I watched his forward stroke go from reasonably efficient to just stabbing at the water, and he lost all upper/lower body separation--I could see that his hips were shaking a bit because he was nervous. He was actually making it more likely he could tip over because he was not absorbing the wave action from side to side. I stuck like glue to his side and kept talking, telling him what I was noticing and reminding him that he had handled WAY worse conditions in an Oceans Skills class. We got through it fine, and I was glad he got some practice being in less than perfect conditions. He actually enjoyed it until we had to turn sideways to the waves as we headed back to our put-in. But it did make me wonder about the best way to handle it to help him not freeze up and get stiff. He's not nearly into kayaking as I am, so it's unlikely he's going to work as hard to improve, although he has taken several classes with me and practiced with P&L on a couple of occasions, and he's actually improved a lot. It's that fine line between challenging yourself and scaring yourself, and when you go over the edge, it's hard to make your way back!

But I do think how to handle it may vary from person-to-person. So perhaps having a couple of approaches up your sleeves might be helpful. I teach skiing, and over the years I've learned more than one way to approach things, so if something doesn't work, I try something else. It certainly helps me feel more confident as an instructor.

In other circumstances, as in paddling with a group which includes unknowns, good to raise the question "Who would like a someone to keep an eye on you, if conditions get dicey?". Also, a pre-launch private discussion amongst the more experienced in the group, to identify paddlers, both known and unknown, who might need close attention, is prudent.

Not a good answer to OP question, but proactive, and indirectly related.

Great question and thread, with lots of useful especially insights and perspectives. Just returned from 5 days playing in fast moving water. For the first four days, I felt rusty. For a variety of reasons this was this first time this season I had the opportunity to play in current and in conditions. I just didn't feel quite on top of my game and less confident in my abilities. On day 5, a few of us were given the challenge of chasing each other down the current, capturing boats, rescuing each other, swimming our boats to the eddy, and self-rescues. Paradoxically, this relieved the anxiety I was feeling about the conditions and restored my confidence. As soon as I had to focus on assisting my fellow paddlers (the first task) it took my focus off of the environment. So one thing I plan to play around with is the idea of giving someone a specific task to focus on.

Note, I am by no means suggesting asking a nervous paddler to throw themselves over in the biggest conditions, etc... On,y this idea of focusing on a task...

Josko-

I think it depends on "how far gone" they are. An unexpected wipe out or several may render them unable to get past their fears till the next session or their in a very different piece of water.

One thing I've seen a lot is the "what if" chain. What if the 100 yards of water beyond my 100 yards of water is much worse, and what if the next 100 yards is even more bad, and then the 100 yards beyond that is drops off the edge of the world..... all the while they are sitting in the same spot doing fine. The only thing I can think of that can get folks beyond that is to focus on the small pieces. Convince them to paddle small chunks of water and then re-evaluate. Make it safe for them to say yes or to say no go.

best

Phil

Interesting post and responses. Good points about different experiences and approaches, and especially about listening. Recently read this short article, although written for whitewater with first person perspective; outlines basic points and perhaps a few could be relevant:

http://www.canoekayak.com/skills/10-tips-for-dealing-with-fear-on-the-river/#KKBXzrwgGRB2mWeB.97

Breathing is most important aspect when coping with fear and anxiety in any situation. When anxious, breathing becomes shallow and rapid, muscles tense and thoughts race. Focusing on the breath and taking slower, deeper breaths relaxes muscles and slows down thinking, allowing the mind to refocus and body to coordinate movements again.

Don’t forget that feeling incompetent in front of others can exacerbate the freezing up. Sometimes it is best to help as quietly as possible, then let the individual save face. Better sometimes to be discrete about having to keep a close eye on someone, and ask first if they want some tips before you offer instruction, unless discussed ahead of time.

These are all good comments. I think Phil has a good one: break it up into small pieces.

A couple of other pieces of advice I've heard from others:

1.) A lot of times unfamiliarity of location causes problems. Remind the paddler that they're paddled in identical conditions, but not in the this location (if true). Get them to just look at it as another day in their familiar spot.

2.) For the rigid paddler - one guy I knew called this "lilly paddling" - remind them that the best thing to do is relax and keep their form, that nature "responds to" a little aggression - sort of like a dog senses fear.

Once I was paddling with a friend. He went through a shoaly area, no problem. I went over the same shoal, and a big breaker hit me. I managed to stay upright, but the unexpected nature of the breaker unnerved me. We stopped, had a granola bar and talked about other stuff, and then I was good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

This evolved into a remarkably insightful thread. Couple related things I'd like to mention relate to self-reassurance and self-confidence:

A few weeks back my son wiped out downwind surfing right in front of me. What should have been a routine rescue turned into an absolute mess as parent genes took over from a situation I was fully capable of handling. We both had to be rescued by an incredulous group member. :wacko:

A related situation is when you're leading and things go to hell in a hand-basket. I find it VERYY hard to collect myself, focus on the immediate task at hand, make an appropriate assesment, and go on about salvaging the situation. It's very easy to make a mistake and end up with a banged-up boat or worse, not to mention de-leadering the group. I've been putting a lot of thought in that direction lately, and this thread has helped a lot.