Group buy for hatch covers?

Hi Brian - do you happen to know if the fit is the same for the Valley brand or look-a-like for an NDK boat for the day hatch?

I used it on for my Pilgrim this weekend but didn't give the roll and surf test.

Thanks,

Karen

According to Greg Paquin - the Valley day hatch cover will work for my NDK Pilgrim.

I believe NDK has always used Valley hatch rims and covers for the day hatch while the bow and stern hatch are Kajaksport rims and covers. So NDK boats come with Valley hatch covers for the day hatrch becasue it is a Valley rim. P&H boats have kajaksport rims/covers for all three hatches. Why NDK uses Valley day hatch rims/covers is intriguing. Valley and Kajaksport day hatch rims are different sizes and thier hatch covers are not interchangeable. .Well, Kayajaksport does make covers for Valley rims, but their covers for their rims will not fit a Valley rim and vice versa.

Jason, I have the old rubber hatch covers from the Shadow that you are welcome to.

I am not sure when I will be down in MA next, I am now living in ME. If your willing to ship them can you call me 660-960-0070 or drop me an e-mail jason at kates D.T org we can figure out the cost and how I can get you a check or Paypal.

Thanks -Jason

• 8 months later...
On August 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM, gyork said:

Admittedly, I have had some deteriation of my hatch covers over the last decsde. As a preventative measure (perhaps), I recently applied a trail of aquaseal to the deep cracks/crevices on my rear oval (inside and out) and day (outside only) hatches. These cracks follow a pattern of parallelling the periphery, approximately 1 inch in. Despite operating in the same conditions, the front oval is in much better shape. I think I will hold off on the group buy now (said the optimist). I'll try to remember to post follow-up here.

gary

Had some leaking through the day hatch on a recent, extended trip.  Used a liquid seam-sealer (see pic) that dries clear and maintains flexibility.  "Seams" I might get through another season nursing these covers along.IMGP0002.jpg

Gary:

I wish you well on getting another season, but my experience is that when the Valley hatch covers start to go as you described they will structurally fail soon.  Unless the seam sealer provides a structural repair; it will stop the leaking, but not the failure.  One day either putting on or prying the cover off you will end up with the edge separating from the center of the cover. 

Ed Lawson

On September 19, 2015 at 10:04 PM, EEL said:

I believe NDK has always used Valley hatch rims and covers for the day hatch while the bow and stern hatch are Kajaksport rims and covers. So NDK boats come with Valley hatch covers for the day hatrch becasue it is a Valley rim. P&H boats have kajaksport rims/covers for all three hatches. Why NDK uses Valley day hatch rims/covers is intriguing. Valley and Kajaksport day hatch rims are different sizes and thier hatch covers are not interchangeable. .Well, Kayajaksport does make covers for Valley rims, but their covers for their rims will not fit a Valley rim and vice versa.

Are you sure about that Ed?  It was my understanding that the valley hatch covers float and I've personally seen way to many NDK day hatches sinking to the briny deep.

best

Phil

Phil:

Well, I did say believe if that gives me any cover.  I have seen many NDK boats with Valley day hatches in years past, but they may well have been using Kajaksport day hatches as well.  I suppose there is an advantage to having a floating day hatch cover.

Ed Lawson

• 1 month later...
On June 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM, EEL said:

Gary:

....... when the Valley hatch covers start to go as you described they will structurally fail soon.  Unless the seam sealer provides a structural repair; it will stop the leaking, but not the failure.  One day either putting on or prying the cover off you will end up with the edge separating from the center of the cover. 

Ed Lawson

Yes indeed Ed!  Found myself scrambling before a long weekend trip to replace ready-to-part covers (2 of 3), despite a final attempt to preserve these 2003 originals with Aquaseal.  Took a detour to Tom's place (  http://topkayaker.net/index.html ) in Ossipee, NH. and was able to purchase 3 Sealect covers (2 oval [$79.95 each], 1 round[$39.95]) for the School Bus; total=$199.85.  Inquired about a group purchase and he offered this:  10% off >=6 of a single item; 15% off >=12 of single item.  Here's the kicker.  Would require coordination of shipping to a ?centrally located "distributor" of the covers, as he is unwilling to send multiple orders from his shop.  Perhaps there is someone in the audience who wants to take this and run with it;  the simpler option is to order direct and incur shipping (and perhaps tax?).

OR, stop in his shop (on Rte 16) on your way to the Whites.

I bought genuine Valley replacement covers from Contooocook river canoes up in Concord NH - they sell Valley boats and carry parts

http://www.contoocookcanoe.com/

It does seem like Valley are getting something wrong with the rubber in their covers.  The day hatch cover on my Romany failed prematurely too, so maybe NDK use the same supplier.  The hatch covers on my Cetus though seem to last forever and are equally soft & rubbery.