Please post your favorite PFD

BigBird

Thank you all for being so helpful with my introductory post about getting started in sea kayaking. Alas, time has flown by and I wasn't able to get to any of the pool clinics or intro to sea kayaking workshops. Now that the warm(er) weather is here, I'm planning to start paddling at Walden and at the Concord River. If there's going to be a clinic at Walden in the near future, please let me know!

One of the posts that stuck with me was the importance of your PFD. I need to purchase one for myself and my wife. There seems to be endless choices from several manufacturers. So, please post your favorite PFD and why it's your favorite? Thank you!

Best rule of thumb. The best PFD is the one that you will wear. But if you really care what I'm wearing on the water it's a Stohlquist rocker. What I like: it's low profile, compact and has little storage (I like being a minimalist). What I don't like: can ride up, not a rescue vest, minimal storage (had to get creative with my rescue knife, no room for vhf). All in all a great vest but I am thinking about picking up a astral sea wolf

besides basic safety/buoyancy - comfort is key - nothing worse than something salty chafing at you for hour after hour of repetitive, grinding movement...never fun.

most comfortable i've worn is the astral greenjacket - rigged a hydration pack on back. the range of motion for me in that vest was unsurpassed....like your not wearing anything at all.

looks like astral updated the colors and maybe even the design slightly since i purchased mine but it might be worth your time to look....link below.

I know that greg down at kayakwaveology sells peak and reeds kit and is pretty keen on their vests....this is gear that isn't generally found in US markets....you may want to give him a ring too when he gets back from holyhead.

try a bunch on....have fun.

http://www.astraldesigns.com/products/GreenJacket.php

http://www.kayakwaveology.com/products-page/brands/

Edited by rick stoehrer

Very much agree with Rick on the comfort of the Astral Green Jacket. I've been really pleased with how the design allows relatively unencumbered torso rotation. The front 2-way zippered pocket is also roomy enough that it also holds my VHF. This is the third jacket I've owned over my paddling career. Hands-down my preference.

The green vest is very nice, the one thing I do not like about it is that the quick release buckle is on the side and my hand bumps / rubs against it. I have been very happy with the NRS Zen Rescue vest, http://www.nrs.com/product/2161/nrs-zen-rescue-pfd.

It has slightly less storage space but I think it is more comfortable.

I really second the idea of trying before you buy. I might be at some of the Walden sessions and can bring both vests for you to try.

Is the Seawolf model the same as the Green except for the "rescue vest" Type V features?

Ed Lawson

They're very similar Ed. The sea wolf doesn't come with either a short tow or other rescue vest features like reinforced shoulder straps and clip in points. The other difference is that the side/chest straps on the Sea Wolf have snaps. Nice if you're in a hurry to get out.

best

Phil

I ended up with a Stohlquist number that I suspect was made for rec boaters but it was in an REI garage sale for $20 and it fit better than anything else I'd tried. So, sold. I've used it for several years, including 2 trips to newfoundland and one to nova scotia, plus some surf days and whatever touring locally. Point being, you don't need anything fancy or rescue-accessorized.

My suggestions: try on a whole bunch to find a good fit. make sure it has some pockets that zip, and one that is big enough for camera or radio. A d-ring inside one pocket is nice for attaching a spare car key, whistle, and compass. side straps for adjustment under the arms, bottom clip to reinforce the zipper in the front, and shoulder adjustments (probably all pfd's have this, but I'm not 100% certain). Make sure the color matches either your kayak or your eyes (and really, did you buy a kayak that didn't match your eyes??).

Jason is the only one (surprise, surprise) who has even mentioned Kokatat! For me, their Sea O2 model is the most supremely comfortable PFD I have ever worn. The flotation is not <big> until you pull the rip-chord in an emergency. It is <adequate> under normal conditions. I think it is not compatible with a back-worn hydration system; but that does not bother me.

My last PFD, worn for years, was a Stohlquist and the pocket zip seized (yes, corrosion) and the pull-tab on main frontal zip broke off.

I do not rinse my gear all the time, post-paddling; but, after all, 90% of a PFD is nylon...oy, oy, oy! Perhaps I was asking for trouble?

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I understand that your favorite PFD may not be mine, but it's nice to see some general consensus on PFD's that provide all day comfort without salty chafing! I'm going to check out the Astral, Kokotat, and Stohlquist PFD's mentioned.

Anyone have experience with a Stohlquist Brik? It's got solid reviews, but it looks to be an older model and I'm not crazy about a black PFD?

Also I saw on the trip reports forum that some folks will be paddling at Walden soon so I hope to meet up with some of you. Thanks again and keep posting!

When Cathy picked up a Kokatat MsFit, I looked at the male version OutFit, and ended up with a MsFit of my own. For me, having a radio pocket directly under my chin was not a good idea. It offers multiple pockets with decent storage, is plenty adjustable with three side straps, has both a bottom and top clip in case your zipper gets opened up during a rescue (has happened!), and seems to fit me fine.

With that said, I do like the Sea Wolf storage system, and may look to that as my next PFD, but as people have alluded, fit is most important. Also, I actually prefer a PFD without the integrated tow system. I believe I get more value in choosing a separate belt system that I can modify to my needs and, more importantly, hand off to someone else to use if necessary.

Also I saw on the trip reports forum that some folks will be paddling at Walden soon so I hope to meet up with some of you. Thanks again and keep posting!

You will find it helpful to be a paid member which will allow you to post to the Trip/Events forum or use the Private Message feature. As always, email Membership@NSPN.org if you need any help.

Just had to double-check.... Kittery Trading Post has a decent selection, and you can check online to see if they have ones you are interested in. For example, I noticed they have the Astral Green Jacket in stock, but I didn't see the Sea Wolf.

When Cathy picked up a Kokatat MsFit, I looked at the male version OutFit, and ended up with a MsFit of my own.

Slight correction, we both have the MsFit Tour - has more pockets than the standard MsFit