PFD question

josko

I'm looking for a new PFD to contain and organize my collection of 'stuff' and hopefully integrate a tow line. Does anybody have first-hand experience with the Astral 'Greenjacket' and how it works for sea kayaking. I'm also looking at their 'Seawolf' but would be curious to hear about any other PFD folks have found to work well for leading trips.

josko -

i've used the gj for several years. it is very, very comfortable the range of motion is outstanding.

using the short tow on it is also very comfortable - the jacket takes most of the jerking out of the the line when you're using it - deploys easily and is easy to discard. no complaints there.

the large front pocket will fit a small radio if you leave the antenna sticking out and you can toss a small roll of duct tape in there, whistle, etc. rigged the scissors up on one of the shoulders. there's a couple of small pockets on the side but they are difficult to get to...good enough for anything you might not need in a big hurry.

you will need to rig a hydration system.

I have the Seawolf and agree with Rick on the high quality and functionality and stellar comfort. I have a fairly large Standard Horizon and fit it horizontally in the '"handwarmer pocket" below the large capacity single front pocket. I secure the VHF with a lanyard and attach same to PFD via small carabiner.

The front pocket easily holds 3 blazers, 1 laser-flare, on-water boat repair kit (denso-tape and small vial with Epoxy), 2 energy bars, compass, sunlotion-stick, without changing the profile of the PFD significantly.

You can easily rig the Kokatat hydration system on the back, I have no experience with other hydration systems.

I don't carry my knife in the place designed for it but have attached it vertically to the left shoulder strap (righty). The side pockets hold surf-wax for quick minor boat repair on one side and a bridle for assisted re-entry in the other (latter has served me as a belaying anchor during a difficult landing). I find the side pockets are easily reached. I have used the Seawolf without issues in every situation, including cowboy rescue. As mentioned, the profile is flat and the VHF is well protected in the horizontal pocket under the large front pocket while sliding along the deck.

The Seawolf is about 60-70 $ cheaper but doesn't have the short-tow option. Other than that, the 2 are essentially no different. If I had the choice, I'd probably go for the Greenjacket, but only for the cool looks :).

I'm looking for a new PFD to contain and organize my collection of 'stuff' and hopefully integrate a tow line. Does anybody have first-hand experience with the Astral 'Greenjacket' and how it works for sea kayaking. I'm also looking at their 'Seawolf' but would be curious to hear about any other PFD folks have found to work well for leading trips.

Many people really like it, I found that it runs rather small. If it fits you it's a respectable river/ocean lifejacket. You also might look at the new Kokatat that came out this year ( http://kokatat.com/products/pfd/maximus-centurion.html). I am hoping to try one on and see if it fits me...

I have the Seawolf and agree with Rick on the high quality and functionality and stellar comfort. I have a fairly large Standard Horizon and fit it horizontally in the '"handwarmer pocket" below the large capacity single front pocket. I secure the VHF with a lanyard and attach same to PFD via small carabiner.

The front pocket easily holds 3 blazers, 1 laser-flare, on-water boat repair kit (denso-tape and small vial with Epoxy), 2 energy bars, compass, sunlotion-stick, without changing the profile of the PFD significantly.

You can easily rig the Kokatat hydration system on the back, I have no experience with other hydration systems.

I don't carry my knife in the place designed for it but have attached it vertically to the left shoulder strap (righty). The side pockets hold surf-wax for quick minor boat repair on one side and a bridle for assisted re-entry in the other (latter has served me as a belaying anchor during a difficult landing). I find the side pockets are easily reached. I have used the Seawolf without issues in every situation, including cowboy rescue. As mentioned, the profile is flat and the VHF is well protected in the horizontal pocket under the large front pocket while sliding along the deck.

The Seawolf is about 60-70 $ cheaper but doesn't have the short-tow option. Other than that, the 2 are essentially no different. If I had the choice, I'd probably go for the Greenjacket, but only for the cool looks :).

The Greenjacket is a lot stronger in that it's a proper river rescue vest. The shoulders and other parts of the vest are designed to be attachment points.

If you need to do a river rescue as rescuer or the one needing rescuing having a proper Rescue vest makes the world of difference. After taking a 3 day swift water rescue class I feel much better when everybody on the river has a rescue vest.

The Greenjacket is a lot stronger in that it's a proper river rescue vest. The shoulders and other parts of the vest are designed to be attachment points.

If you need to do a river rescue as rescuer or the one needing rescuing having a proper Rescue vest makes the world of difference. After taking a 3 day swift water rescue class I feel much better when everybody on the river has a rescue vest.

Absolutely! Forget my "essentially no different" comment. On the other hand, for sea-kayaking purposes, the strength of the GJ may be overkill.

OK, guys, so is there a downside for getting the Greenjacket for SK trips? Do I still need to wear a longtow belt, or is there some way to get enough line (somewhere) into the PFD?

They offer a web tow to be stored in the side pocket that I mentioned. It won't replace a tow belt, though. I don't really see a place that has enough stowage room for a longer line in the PFD (off topic, but if you're looking for a really versatile, immensely wearable line o n your PFD, check out Jeff Allen's throw-tow). I don't see a downside at all for getting a GJ for sea kayaking. There are other sea kayakers who use them. If I ever replace my Seawolf, it's going to be by a Greenjacket.

OK, guys, so is there a downside for getting the Greenjacket for SK trips? Do I still need to wear a longtow belt, or is there some way to get enough line (somewhere) into the PFD?

For a long tow you still want a normal tow belt. The white water cow tails are two high on the body to be conferrable for an extended towing session.

I love my GJ's. I purchased my first one when it origionally came out. Years of use and abuse from sun, salt and chlorine have substantially bleached out the material. I now use that one for Pool Sessions only. My second one remains in full service and after 3 seasons, barely shows signs of usage.

I never purchased the short tow that Astral Buoyancy has for it as my go-to Immersion Research tow belt seems to service me well.

I have plenty of room in the front pocket for a handheld radio that I keep in the left side of the pocket. The antenna points up the left front strap and held in place by a watch wrapped around the strap and antenna. I also carry my camera and energy shots in the pocket. Both camera and radio are tethered to a convenient sewn in hidden loop. My emergency stain resistant knife is attached to the other front strap and my Kokatat hydration fits nicely on the back of the vest with the solution hose snaking its way over my shoulder and in and out the sewn in strap loops.

Another feature I like is the upper part of the GreenJacket is separate in the front from the larger lower torso section and allows a great deal of adjustablity and body flexibility.

I see that Astral has altered the GJ design a bit over the past year. I haven't scrutinized the new one yet but it appears to have made the front pocket bigger. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up leftover older versions at a discounted cost.

Doug

Edited by Doug

I've had both and they're very similar in the current versions. One addition on the sea wolf is the side straps have releasable buckles on the chest straps. Makes it easier to take the jacket off at the expense of the climbing harness like reinforcing in the GJ.

Best

Phil

I have a greenjacket and like it very much. I find the location of the quick release buckle on the side to be a little problematic because my hand bumps it sometimes. I bought an NRS Zen Rescue PFD and have been very impressed with it. It is very similar to the greenjacket but more comfortable for me. Holds a lot of gear - easy to adjust. I also like the feature that the are buckles on one side with make it easier to put on - the greenjacket is a pullover type vest while the Zen opens completely on one side.

http://www.nrs.com/product/2161/nrs-zen-rescue-pfd.