Leaking hatch

prudenceb

I've figured out the reason my second hand Romany has water in the day hatch after any rough water or rolling session is that the black plastic ring screwed onto the deck, onto which I attach my brand new Valley hatch cover, is leaking along one of the edges where it meets the deck of the boat. What is the best way/ best material to seal this?

pru

I've figured out the reason my second hand Romany has water in the day hatch after any rough water or rolling session is that the black plastic ring screwed onto the deck, onto which I attach my brand new Valley hatch cover, is leaking along one of the edges where it meets the deck of the boat. What is the best way/ best material to seal this?

Well, the best way to do it is to remove it, clean up the surfaces, then re-bond it properly using 3M 5200 or a similar high-strength adhesive. However, that can be difficult to do without damaging the ring, if it's firmly bonded in other areas.

If the hatch ring is held in place with screws, remove them and see if you can determine the extent of the poorly bonded area and whether the ring will come off without a fight. Also, check carefully that it isn't cracked at one of more of the screw holes, as NDK has a tendency to over-tighten the screws, which causes the flange to split. If you see any cracking/splitting, the ring will have to be replaced, since once it starts, it only gets worse with time and use and no amount of sealant will create a permanent repair.

I had the same problem with my NDK, and I have solved it at least for now with a liberal application of marine sealant; so far it has held for 1 year anyway. I still have half a tube in my freezer if you want to use it!

Beth

sounds like you've found your answer, but fwiw I just had the same issue and solved it by using a bead of plumbers goop on the seam where hatch fixture meets deck. Probably the same general idea as lexel. Plumbers Goop seems to be my answer of first resort for all kayak repairs. Also for plumbing, now and again.

If the seal is on the inside you have the potential for trapping some water under the hatch rim. I wouldn't want water trapped near the screw/bolt holes. Maybe I'm over thinking this but it could seap into the fiberglass or freeze and expand causing worse problems.

I pulled the hatch rims on my Gulfstream and resealed them, it's not that bad to do.

Not to make your decision any harder, but when the hatches were leaky on my Cetus, I just ran 5200 around the outside of the hatch rim and that solved the problem. Wont likely work if the hatch rim itself is cracked.

best

Phil