kayak camping sleeping pad

jmcotton

I need a new sleeping pad in order to get some sleep while kayak camping. I'm going to buy a Exped Synmat as they seem to be highly rated and sleep is highly rated for me also. My question is: do I need one with a pump or not? The one without the pump is nicely small so it would fit into my Avocet LV better. How much of a pain is it to blow up? There are so many choices - lined, not lined, etc. Any opinions? Thanks,

Janice

I had a DAM with an external pump/bag. The pain is when you're in a tent you'll have to sit at one end of the bag to pump it up, so unless you have a long tent it can be awkward.

Supposedly they inflate quicker with the external bag but I think my new DAM with the internal pump will be nicer.

btw. the old one had a leak and it was replaced for free, Exped is a great company that stands by their products. I have one of their tents too and the attention to detail is amazing.

Hi Janice-

I love my synmat. It's heavy and bulky compared to some of the modern backpacking lite versions, but I've never slept better on the ground. I don't think it's a good idea (or even easy) to use your mouth to blow up the synmat or downmats, as water vapor from your breath will get trapped in the insulation and nasty things might grow. My variant has the internal pump, which as MC says can be a bit difficult but manageable in the tent. I've used the inflate-bag and it works much more quickly to inflate the pad, though its one more thing to carry or lose.

best

Phil

Janice:

If you are moving everyday, blowing up an air pad is a minor annoyance or a big annoyance depending upon physical and emotional state at the end of the day. Personally, I find the smaller size of an air pad is worth it overall.

Ed Lawson

I have a SynMat for 3-season camping and a DownMat for those chilly off-season nights, and both have an integral pump. For the UntraLite versions without a pump, the manufacturer's instructions specifically say to blow into the mat. Note that it can take up to a minute and a half to do it, so be prepared to be lightheaded when done. I think that Exped used to discourage blowing into the pads, but I don't seem to see it in the current instructions. However, I believe Phil is still correct in that you want to avoid it if you can, or make sure to air it out as instructed.

Although both of my mats have integral pumps, I did get the Schnozzel Pumpbag to make it easier to inflate the pad, which can be beneficial on multi-day trips. It is a 42L sil-nylon "drysack" (I don't use it for that purpose) that weighs only 2oz and packs really small. I end up just stuffing it in the same bag as my pad, and I don't even notice the difference. It takes about three or four "billows" to fully inflate the pad, which takes about half the time than the CPR-like action on the integral pump.

Janice,

I, as well, have two Exped SynMats. The UltraLite(without pump) and the DownMat(with internal pump). I like both. The DownMat is for off season camping when the ground is cold. I did buy the long and wide version since I wanted to be certain not to roll off it onto the cold ground. However, it does take up more space in the hatch. For a one or two night camping trip the larger size is not a problem, but on longer journeys it could be a concern. During the summer, I always camp with the UltraLite and it take me no time at all to inflate and deflate. I will admit I do blow air directly into the mat and have been doing so for four years. Maybe there are things growing inside. If so, they seem to be friendly.

Warren

I don't like the 'noise' of the blow up air mattresses such as Exped's or the Thermarest Neoaire. I have slept in the tent with people using both of those and I just don't like it. On a trip I borrowed one and also didn't like it based on blowing it up (lightheaded) combined with the noise.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of a thermarest. I think mine is like this: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/prolite-plus/product Some foam for warmth (even if you lose air, it can insulate a bit) and a few breaths brings it to the perfect firmness.

I think I may be in the minority on my camping needs. I won't go without a chair but minimalist on the bed is enough to suit me:)

Suz

Thanks for the experienced opinions. I have a small pad that I just can't sleep on so I'm glad to hear that the Expad works! I'll look to see if there is one with the option to take the pump along or inflate it manually (and hope whatever critters grow in mine are friendly too!). Humm, I didn't think of the noise...that could be annoying. Choices, choices.

Go test them out at either EMS or REI and see which ones you prefer to sleep on. Bring your sleeping bag as I suspect that might be where the noise is generated between the two materials.

Alternatively, I can lend you two styles and you can sleep on them at home in your bedroom floor and see which one works better for you.

I don't like the 'noise' of the blow up air mattresses...

Humm, I didn't think of the noise...that could be annoying. Choices, choices.

I too have had an issue with the noise of the pads rubbing up against the tent floor, and came up with a "solution". I purchased some of the rubber "no-skid" matting that you would put under a rug to keep it from sliding. It completely eliminates the noise and still takes up less room than the foam self-inflating mats.

I've never hear any noise from my Exped pad but maybe I just fall asleep quickly since it's so comfortable.

You should not blow into a down filled pad, yes the down is supposedly treated with some anti microbial stuff but you are adding moisture to down that's in a sealed air tight bag. Exped had instructions on drying out the DAM if it gets wet, it involved a hair dryer on low and flushing warm air through the mattress. My advice? Use the pump bag and don't blow into it.

After reading Phil and Michael's reviews of the Exped SynMat, I bought one today to accompany my new Marmot Ouray Zero Degree sleeping bag. It was time for a new one as my North Face 12 year old Cat's Meow had definitely given up its ninth life last year; I'm a cold sleeper, and it's 20% off coupon time at REI.

Bob went one better and bought a Nemo Cosmo 25L pad for his new Sierra Designs Zizzou, which had terrific reviews.

Both pads have an integrated foot pump and, after sleeping on our faithful car camping LL Bean air mattress for a few years, it was time for something warmer and high tech.

As for noise: Meh. Rather some rustling, which I don't notice any way, than waking up in the morning with a back or shoulder ache.

Deb M

Thanks everyone. I was at REI tonight with my 20% off coupon and dividend and tried out the mats. I ended up getting the ultra light synpad for it's size and comfort. I'm not ready for winter camping yet so the ultralight made sense. The sales person demonstrated the schnozzle pump and it was amazing in pumping the mat up easily. It also packs down to almost nothing so I got that as well and now I won't be breathing warm moist air with critters into my sleeping pad. I usually carry a cheap yoga mat that is cut in half in my kayak which is perfect for sitting on wet or bumpy surfaces. I'm going to see if that will cut down the noise, if not I'll look for the nonskid mats for rugs as Rob suggested. It actually didn't seem too noisey. Thanks Suz for your generous offer to loan me mats to try out.

How do folks feel about longevity of air mattresses? What's the chance of its puncturing partway through a trip ansd leaving one sleeping on the ground? Foam pads might be buklier, but they don't puncture.

I've had fairly good luck with air mats. Obviously they're more leak prone than ensolite foam pads, but the size and comfort advantages are huge. I'd put up with a lot to sleep that well and pack that small. One pad from Pacific Outdoors began to leak after a few years, but it was a very slow leak, and didn't affect comfort (except that I'd add a breath when I got up to . . . look at the stars). I couldn't find the leak, so I replaced it with a NeoAir 2 years ago. That's been great. It's wider, which I like. Sooo comfy, even on very uneven ground. The noise doesn't bother me.