New to Sea Kayak Camping Trip to Muscongus Bay

prudenceb

The calendar tells us that tomorrow spring finally arrives. That means it's time to start thinking about kayak camping! This year, Ed Lawson and I are hoping to offer at least one New To Sea Kayak Camping trip for paddlers with L3ish skills. Last year, Warren (whose brainchild the NTSKC trips were) and I did three trips, which I think it is to safe to say were enjoyed by all. Warren is tied up this year planning how to stay one step ahead of the grizzlies as he plans his July Alaska adventure, so Ed has kindly offered to step in to initiate the trips with me.

We are planning to offer a trip in either early May or early June, likely to Muscongus Bay, for paid NSPN members who would like to take the step from doing day to overnight trips, or for those whose camping skills are rusty.

This is a preliminary post to gauge whether there's interest this year in such a trip. If you are interested, please post here, or PM me. Details will follow.

pru and ed

Hi Pru and Ed.

Would love to be with you but have my own 15 day adventure at the end of May. Hope you have the time and energy to run another trip later in the summer. If you do I hope to join you.

Al

Cetus

Red over white, mostly over

Grand Canyon. Choice of 6 person unloaded raft or inflatable kayak or ride the supply raft each day. With my bad shoulder this will allow me to do as much paddling as I can handle. 65th birthday present to myself and one of those bucket list things.

Grand Canyon. Choice of 6 person unloaded raft or inflatable kayak or ride the supply raft each day. With my bad shoulder this will allow me to do as much paddling as I can handle. 65th birthday present to myself and one of those bucket list things.

What company are you going with, will they let you bring your own kayak? The Grand Canyon has been on my bucket list!

Hi Jason,

I am going with Canyon Explorations (www.canyonexplorations.com) since they are, I believe the only company offering the hybrid approach that I mentioned before: small empty rafts, inflatable kayaks, and the option to ride if my shoulders give out. I did get a good recommendation about them from a paddler I met last fall. He had just returned from a trip with them.

I am in a place with exceptionally slow internet for the next few days, so I cannot look at their web site but I remember they do allow clients to bring kayaks but I think they are only on certain trips.

I am sure you know that each company has its own tone, history, style, and style of trip so take a look at them all. Of course they sell out way in advance but there is often room for single paddlers given cancellations.

Hi Jason,

I am going with Canyon Explorations (www.canyonexplorations.com) since they are, I believe the only company offering the hybrid approach that I mentioned before: small empty rafts, inflatable kayaks, and the option to ride if my shoulders give out. I did get a good recommendation about them from a paddler I met last fall. He had just returned from a trip with them.

I am in a place with exceptionally slow internet for the next few days, so I cannot look at their web site but I remember they do allow clients to bring kayaks but I think they are only on certain trips.

I am sure you know that each company has its own tone, history, style, and style of trip so take a look at them all. Of course they sell out way in advance but there is often room for single paddlers given cancellations.

Thanks for the company:

Hard Shell Kayaks

Kayakers may join any trip, however a minimum number of 4 kayakers is required. One of our kayak guides accompanies all trips with kayakers.

One really needs a guide raft to take the required gear to be allowed on the water. The chance of getting on the water without a company is remote, before they moved to the weighted lottery system the wait list for a slot was over 150 years (I can't see spending $'s to get on a 150 year wait list, I wouldn't be alive that long).

I'd be interested depending on the date, but i don't know if it's fair for me to take a spot though, since I got to go last year, and can no longer be considered a newbie! In any case I would be happy to defer to someone else if there ends up being a wait list. This trip is a great chance to learn everything you need to know to get started kayak camping, if anyone has an interest i'd recommend you sign up!

• 2 weeks later...

Pru and Ed,

I'd like to join you for one or more of your camping trips. Never been to Muscongus but I keep hearing good things about the area.

I have more than a half century of camping experience but just two nights of kayak camping. I need to get a lot more efficient at it, perhaps with some tips from you pros.

Please put me on your list of candidates and keep me in the loop on your camping plans.

Thanks!

Blaine